NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

point of no return

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 9:58pm
Kapla are you saying your stuffing box was worn out?

Are you sure you were using the correct size packing?

We use the double seal greased system log in Australia. It still requires the seals to be replaced when they wear. To get the seals out you need to remove the prop shaft. A big disadvantage over the stuffing box system.

Log / Stuffing Box

After having used both systems I feel the stuffing box system is superior. If you use the gortex material it is almost dripless. That is the only advantage the double seals have initially. Once the seals wear the system is no longer dripless the grease is suppose to lubricate the seals not be the actual water seal.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 2:13pm
well this is turning into a big money pit..LOL, just came from the repair shop, shaft seal was worn out and the shaft had some play inside that even with the new packing it was going to leak...so new shaft seal is on the way, but it it a new system, like a dripless seal, that uses grease as sealant....
The rudder seal packing system will also be replaced by o-ring system, that also will not leak, and should outlast the traditional packing system....
I guess its better have all this stuff done before than then having to stop the assy due to a problem...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 7:51pm
not many changes since last week..
I sent the drive a local repair shop to have the shaft rechecked, the prop had some nicks, and the shaft seal needs new packing, also sent the rudder as the shaft was little bent to the back, and the rudder packing was almost gone so also new packing in the way....
At least with this I gain some time, and I will have everythin ready when the time comes for the assembly....
I hope this week they start/finish pouring the foam, so they can put the carpet by next week, after that little is left...

yesterday sunday 8-30 we had a kind of summer 95F!!! I went to the river and made some swiming..it was very hot..Valentino even jumped to the water with me!!!
I just can´t wait to have the boat ready
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 4:27pm
Update
floor is all there, put the air box, used the old one as it was removed entired, and glased over the floor, the cooler and batery box also installed. The bilge its painted etc,
Next week they will pour the foam under the floor, doing some holes in the floor, then glass over the holes to seal them and the ready for carpeting.
pictures as today:

I´m now behind this as the engine now is ready.
I also took the drive for and inspection, repack the shaft seal, and inspect the prop.
At least everything its here and no parts to wait for.
I expect the job to be finished in a couple of week and to be able to put the boat in the water by end of september!!!
I can´t wait for it I need it now!!!
We are having a nice winter, temperature this week was around 80-90 Fº and for saturday also...Big storm commming on sunday though

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2009 at 12:40am
ok, call me when you are here...see ya.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 11:02pm
Kapla, finally I'm not going to BA. this week but next monday I'll be there for sure.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 10:23pm
ooops I had to dig 4 pages to find my post!!!
update:
well not much while I was out!!! and as I got here on friday I was not able to go to the shop to see it.
Work done: all the floor is set and glassed, and the ventilation and wiring pipes from the bulk to the bilge are in place. PVC pipes were used to this and the old bulk box will be re used for the air box.
carpet is waiting to the foam to be poured to put it in place.
still lots of work ahead. I'll try to get pictures this week.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 6:08pm
got some pics of the floor prior being glassed. this are from 10 days ago...

Now both sides are complete and glassed..I stepped on them and it was rock solid!!!
No pics on the last time..I asked the guy to keep me pict record so I can post it here!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 5:54pm
had to dig 3 pages to find this...
Floor is all glassed from the back to the middle just were the engine front is... I decided to pour foam finally, so will drill holes to the wood pour the foam and close it again..I´m leaving on thursday on vacation, so I won´t be able to see progress. Will come back in a month so I hope to find the boat in its final details....
i will post some pics of the Europe reunion with Kristof!!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 3:51pm
went today its looking good...

stringer were made out of 3 ply board of 1.5cm each bonded and screw toghether to give a 4.5cm total with.

that grey spot on the last stringer pics is the epoxy putty, that its very hard to work with!!! its like a kid putty and has to be woked by hand!!!
Regarding the epoxi resin I have to say has the consistency of honey...
pics of the materials...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 7:25pm
so what do you think? I take the chance and use the regular chopped mat available here?
Were I buy the epoxy they only carry cloth and being the 8oz the thicker for the application I gave them.
Regarding old resin in the rotted stringer it had a thin very thin layer...but well I guess that it had something to do with the issue the boat had foam? Or it was just poor workmanship?
the glassing of the stringer is only to keep them in place and prevent them from rotting or it it also to give rigidity to the hull? wood stringer itself isn´t enough support?

I like the coosa idea!!! but sure not available down under!!!!

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 5:30pm
I wondered about that as well. Maybe someone here can say if the compound in the poly mat will interfere with epoxy. I sort of doubt it as epoxy is more of a glue than a chemical reaction.

By the way...I have a small amount of E-mat for sale.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 5:25pm
Phil, looking good! Wish my pockets were deep enough to rebuild with Coosa. Maybe when I finally get to my Inca Gold boat...

Kap, if youre just using cloth, I dont think 3 layers is enough. A single layer of mat will be thicker than 3 layers of cloth. The build up on my stringers was over 1/16" thick. Id strongly consider adding mat or biax like Greg did.

Greg, I agree that epoxy mat is preferable, but its still out of stock at US Composites! This is what they have to say about it on their website:

******Out of Stock*****
Owens Corning has discontinued this item. We are continuing to look for other sources. We have found our brand of 1-1/2oz x 50" (cat# FG-10550) regular chopped strand mat wets out with epoxy very well and could be considered a substitute.

This time around Im going with a mix of the regular mat, cloth and biax.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 5:14pm
They're right, you need E-mat. The regular mat is held together with something that disolves in poly resin but not epoxy. E-mat is stiched together.
1988 BFN-sold

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 3:58pm
Ok I will add one more layer of cloth..the one using here is around 8oz to the square meter...regarding mat i see in the us composite site is for use only on poly and vynil resins? can it be used on epoxy resins. Here they told me not to use the mat with epoxy as it has some coating it will not bond ok to the epoxy. And there is no mat available here to specif use with epoxy..I´m kinda lost.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 1:35pm
I thinks it really cool how many people are putting these back together...must be something to it!   

Meant to add this...I used mat-cloth-biaxial in some places and went mat-cloth-mat-cloth-biaxial on the mains and a few other places. The biaxial is a little harder to work with but well worth it. It has a mat-like back and is super strong.
1988 BFN-sold

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 1:27pm
This is how my boat is coming along on my 1985 ski nautique using Coosa Board as main stringers. We cut the secondaries down 1/2 inch more as we are going to use 1/2 coosa on the floor and fill with foam and glass it in. We have been using fiberglass tape cloth. 2" 4" 6" 8" and sanding between coats. 1 coat of each right now but I am thinking on doing 1 or 2 more coats of 8" not sure yet. The starboard secondary on has 2" right now and have to put in the stopper piece in tonight and put 4" on the rest of it.

Tim let me know if my dad and I are doing a good job we have about 70 hours each into the boat and my brother has been busy with family stuff and has put 3 hrs into it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:33pm
The US Composites epoxy Ive used is about the consistency of cheap sugary maple syrup. The amount of glass that should be used on the stringers will depend on how thick the material is, but I wouldnt go with any less than 3 layers. Ive layed up with mat-cloth-mat in the past (mat is pretty thick and soaks up a lot of epoxy) and Ill be doing mat-cloth-biaxial on the next one. Cloth by itself is pretty thin and wont hold much resin.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:56am
well first stringer is glued and glassed to the hull, I didn;t get pictures yet but will do this week, it has two layers of cloth and epoxy. So is ok or how many layer are needed? regarding the epoxy the one got here seems kind thick and has to be worked with spatulas for better results...
once cured its like it was part of the hull...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 3:53pm
at least its what the guy doing the job told me. He knows what he talks so I don´t doubt his words.
at simple glance how can I tell if it anodized?
it does have some kind of finish though, its not the natural aluminum finish...
I did´t get a picture as the frame was on the wall with all sort of parts stacked on it, will do next time...
lets see what pete has to say...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 3:23pm
Anodized, really? I dont think mine was. I would think that paint or powdercoat would be fine.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 2:53pm
Question here.. I have to weld the aluminum frame of the motor, the short section were the pylon attaches to the long legs that goes in the stringers broke off I guess due to stress when the extended pylon cable to the bow cut off a couple of months ago. By that time I put a bolt there as it had the holes. Now Its out I like to have it welded. The thing the whole rig is anodyzed, and when welding it this coat will be off in the sorrounding parts of the welded area. Should I have all anodized again or can I just give it some anticorrosion paint there? Is not visible unless you want to look at it? so what do you think?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:34pm
the shaft had no movement inside the strut nor the seal leaked much..just normal some drops...
Actually the shaft was turned twice in the last 6 months....
I will be replacing the strut bushing anyway as the last time it was changed was like 3-4 years ago....

the troll is Tazzmanian Devil from the cartoons...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 10:24pm
Kspla as long as the shaft does not have an all around movement on the strut it is ok.

If it has some it can be a worn strut bearing, check it for wear before putting it all back together.

Some struts are a bit tweaked because fit is not always perfect from the factoty, what's important is that after it's all back together the shaft turn freely by hand.

The ridge on the shaft... I'd not switch it unless you cannot get the packing gland to seal anymore, wich in that case you can get a larger diameter packing rope too. Get a graphite packing one.

Sure that shaft has seen it's many turns around the life!!!

by the way I love the troll over the mirror
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2009 at 6:13pm
more pics as for today...
all the foam is out... it filled 7 200L tanks...

I will need a new stereo after this

thats the log area..are those bars glued reinforcements

The hull walls also have some kind of rubber backing were the carpet was glued to..anybody knows what are they for?

the strut I see it bent...to the right what do you think..

the shaft has this polished look at the strut section..is it ok or should i replace it?

and a ridge at the shaft seal entrance area

log hole

boat sits on a malibu trailer.. dual axle, four disc surge brakes and all the goodies...I like it.. Here a sh#t# trailer painted single axle no brakes new sell for no less than 3k....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2009 at 3:26pm
frash pics!!! i went today to see the work or should I say the destroyed on the boat

well as you can see all the wood is wet rot. What surprised is that all surface wood is untreated and almost loose, it is fastened by some rusty nails and the foam itself..not super crafmanship....
foam super heavy and filled with water

the saw

after the foam removal we will let the hull dry for some day as the surface of it is wet and has some trapped water...

and here is the original money pit... (sh#t hole)

starboard main was also rot but not as much as port....
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 10:34pm
you think that would catch on TR
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 4:12pm
Nope, not refoaming the Skier. Thats a much smaller and much thicker (sturdier) hull than the 90+ based on my experience on my Tique. Ill be adding a few extra ribs, mainly for the purpose of supporting the floor. The 90+ would need a lot of ribs for the purpose of structural integrity, IMHO.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 6:31pm
Ok..I will make new enquire here for how many materials I will need as the estimate the provider gave me was to low on comparisson to the estimate on poly that the guy in the marina was thinking...
Also what would be the worst scenario in doing the job on poly?

So you are not refoaming?
you will need extra ribs for that hull or is it thicker than the 90´s?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2009 at 9:35pm
Seb, theyre not light. I just ordered all the glass for the Skier (16' boat) which included 10 gallons of resin and the total shipping weight was 250 lbs. I imagine the epoxy was the bulk of that weight- we arent refoaming it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic