Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 103104105106107 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 4:43pm
From my experience I would say a well done front deep requires less effort than getting up on a ski ...then again I also think a front tumble up is easier than front deepwater :-)
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 4:45pm
I 100% COMPLETELY Agree!!! Definitely easier then trying to balance on a slalom ski. I tell beginning slalom skiers this all the time, and they look at me like I am crazy...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 4:46pm
Starts used to be a separate event at tourneys
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 4:47pm
If thats the case then you need some practice starting on a ski.    How else can you take a bf run without getting your hair wet? JBear would approve!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 4:57pm
Yeah, I watch HW start on a slalom and figure I must be doing something wrong. No way I can deep up slalom without getting my hair wet. Dock or shallow beach start I have a chance, deep water no way...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 4:59pm
Heck last couple of LLFD - I have popped right on top of the water and my hair actually stayed dry!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 5:01pm
If your knee isnt touching your chest, youre doing it the hard way! Getting up on one ski should be eeeeeaasy.

Hair dry on a LLFD... now that I would like to see!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 5:08pm
The last one I caught on video, but hair was already wet from the prior 427 LLBD attempts... I noticed similar lack of water-boarding while wearing dry suit...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 5:08pm
ski>no ski

only downside is having to pick it up (unless you kick at your dock and ski back)

if you plow and resist the boat you make it harder. with the boat, not against it. keep the ski more under you than in front. "easy peasy"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2013 at 8:48am
Been away for a while so trying to catch up. AWESOME job on the LLBD Tim. Looks like you caught a heel when you went over the curl.

John has that same issue right now when we use his boat. With mine, no problems at all. That mountainous wake is tougher to scale when you're still trying to get comfortable riding LL. Reps will get you more comfy but you just need to stay defensive like Roy says. After you get up, try bending your knees a bit more and squat lower. Gives a much stronger position.

Excellent job!!!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2013 at 5:49pm
Well been working actively this we on the switch side slides, switch blades and reverse side slide.
High boom and wrapped handle...
Im able to ride the switch and back to ss but cant yet go crossing back and forth. I always end up catching the ankles! and boy it hurts!
Reverse ss got it!

Will try to edit some footage from saturday! Need some tips from Glasseeker...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2013 at 11:34pm
cant edit, gopro studio crashes all the time! sucks allong with the gopro 3 camera...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2013 at 12:10am
I just started using gopro studio 2.0 so far no problems...no crashes, I also figured out how to control the go pro with my phone wifi which is great because you can see what the camera sees and turn it on and off remotely.

Kap just keep the boom super high and keep working on it, it's hard
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2013 at 1:30pm
Invest in Sony's Vegas. Good robust editor with TONS of features. I am running version 11 on M/S OS 7.X. It has yet to crash. It's $100 USD, but worth it to know that it will work.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If thats the case then you need some practice starting on a ski. How else can you take a bf run without getting your hair wet? JBear would approve!

Gotta look good to do good we always say...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 4:03pm
Ok, its about a week late cause I forgot to take my camera with me when I went out of town last week, but I'm finally getting to my "Last Ski" vids.

Reid and I road-tripped over to the Hineline estate last weekend so I could get dragged around the lake for a while.

I feel like I made some good progress from my last set a few weeks ago, even though I didn't ski any of them away.

Then Larry decided to show me up.

A bunch

Back at it. I feel like if my arms had come out as I stood up I probably would have rode this one out.

Then I broke the boat

After we got it running again I didn't have too much left in the tank. And this hurt way more than it looked. I came up and had all sorts of blinky flashy lights in my eyes.

All in all a good time was had by all. Thanks guys.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 4:21pm
Adam:

You have a solid plane out in these videos. Couple of quick thoughts. You are planting with really "loose" feet. Note at :10 seconds into Video 2: One foot is pointing one way, the other foot somewhere else. Crank those feet back tight. In video three you are really loose in the loins. Legs and knees flopping around. You need to tighten everything up. It starts with the core: engage the core.

lastly, you are having trouble buttgliding because your arms are loose. Pull the handle in tight to your belt line and clamp down your elbows to your ribcage. If you do those 2 things you will track straight every time. Well done!
Got Foot?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

you are really loose in the loins

Did you just imply that Adam has a sloppy V?

Adam, youre close! I see a lot of goodness going on- just need to build some muscle memory on land and then put it all together on the water (ie, man up!). You looked like you were running low on energy about half way through the runs you took- both physically and mentally. That led to a bit of waffling- arms and legs looked unsure of what to do. Dry land practice will help. Then it shouldnt be long before youre skiing away regularly- nice work!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Did you just imply that Adam has a sloppy V?

I take the sloppiness of my V very seriously.

Yeah, it was probably about half way through that I started losing steam. Although I did get a lot of practice putting on and taking off my suit. Probably did that 5 or 6 times. I'd suit up, we'd idle from the dock, and the boat wouldn't run. At one point Reid was like, how about we make sure the boat runs before you get back in that cold water again, and sure enough, it didn't. I did walk away feeling that I had made progress, so even though it may not have been my best effort, I still had some productive time on the water.

I guess its a good thing that dry land practice will help, cause that's all I'm gonna see until the spring. Come on SJRR!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:10pm
It's all in your head Adam. You are better than these videos show. I know you can do this, just not sure why it isn't happening.

Too cold to ski for birthday boy?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:12pm
Are you solid on the boom? I know the start is different, but the plane 3 point is almost the same, being much easier on the boom.

Definetely spend some time on dryland!

good work there!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It's all in your head Adam.

True that.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Too cold to ski for birthday boy?

He had just gotten his nails and his hair did. You can't get a weave wet for 24 hours. Actually, he had a pretty good excuse, which I'm sure took several weeks to craft for the sole purpose of not having to ski that day.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Are you solid on the boom? I know the start is different, but the plane 3 point is almost the same, being much easier on the boom.

Definetely spend some time on dryland!

good work there!

Thanks man.

Solid? No. The progression to where I am now is kinda windey. I decided after White Lake in May that I was tired of being the only person waking up at 7am at these reunions and not barefooting. So me and Joe trekked up to Tim B's in June for a mini barefoot clinic. I told him that I would follow whatever instruction he gave because I just wanted to learn, and then I promptly pussed out. Big time. HW says its in my head, that weekend it definitely was. Could barely be talked into getting out of the boat.

So Tim's plan was to start me on a wakeboard. On the boom, just gliding around to get comfortable on my back. Didn't have much problem with that, so we moved to the five foot line, and I couldn't stay on top of the board. After flopping around unsuccessfully Tim was like, ok, get rid of the board, you're just gonna ride on your back. I was there for three days and never put my feet in the water, by design. But by doing that, now I was comfortable on my back.

Fast forward to the CT mini, Tim says, ok, I've never actually seen you on your feet, I don't know if I really believe you can ski at all. So I got on the boom, tumbled around and stood up. First shot, no problem. Then I got on the five foot, Tim thought he was going to pull me around 25 to get back to gliding on my butt, and I stood up, looked over and said, ok, think we need more speed now. Now I've just been trying to build the muscle memory of planting and standing consistently. Might be a little bit of a backwards approach, but I can see improvements, little stuff, each time. I think its just a matter of repetition...doing it over and over until I just don't have to think about it. I'm probably the only person who goes out on the lake and isn't trying to ski, haha
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:48pm
You sure are a fighter! Im under the same situation with a friend Im teaching...
he is having some problems going barefeet, so he is now practicing with the shoes. On the boom he is doing well, but on the 5ft line, he struggles. He can plane but has problems planting, he lowers the toes and get washed away and then he cant tumble front again...
I would try to get solid on the boom and then start on the 5ft rope.
If you have access to a pair of shoes/foot skis go ahead and use them. Its much easier Imho and you get to ski much slower, so the falls arent that painfull...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:54pm
yeah but the high speed is what makes it fun! Plus chicks dig scars.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 5:54pm
Dont let him fool you, he is solid on the boom. He actually looks great once he's on his feet on the 5' too. If I remember correctly, he mastered the step off long ago, hence now learning the deep.

IMHO, next to nothing about the starts on the boom (directly on the boom) translates to the starts on the 5' and beyond. The pull is radically different, with the boom being up over your head rather than having the handle down at your hips. I dont think there is anything to be gained here.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 6:00pm
I don't know if I'd go as far as mastered, but there was a time when I could do it. I certainly washed out on my lone long line step attempt of the year behind uncle todd's boat. That was a big crash.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
jackiewdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackiewdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 6:25pm
Several times it looked like you were there. The boat sounded good until it realized who was out on it in spite of being there with ReidP.
Just think of the wonderful memories. We will succeed at River Run (both of us!)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 7:18pm
oh, it ran like a scalded cat until we fludded the distributor cap. and I know what you might be thinking, how did you manage to get water in there...never ever underestimate my ability to break a boat.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2013 at 7:56pm
I would latch on to what Andy said. Your very, very loose when it comes time to transition to 3 pt. Try to keep your elbows locked into your side, every time you lifted your elbows you would move forward, then you would move your arms left or right and your ass would slide off in the other direction. If you concentrate on locking the elbows to your side a lot of that movement will clean up.

The last thing I noticed is what I have come to call the wakeboarders dilemma. I have been working with a lot wakeboarders and they all do the same thing, when they try to plant their knees are way apart and their feet are together. You want it the other way, knees together feet apart, almost pigeon toe, and as Andy said try to pull the top of your feet (don't bend your toes up) to your shins and lock it in. That tightness will also provide stability.

Keep up the good work, you will be skiing it away in no time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 103104105106107 152>
  Share Topic