NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is an Al Tyll

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is an Al Tyll
    Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:20am
I've seen a few Al Tyll Skiers on the website and in the brochures, but until last week I was never really sure what the heck is an Al Tyll?

Without looking it up, I'm sure you're going to have to be one of our more "seasoned" members to know the answer, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

What's an Al Tyll?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:33am
Brian,
I think Al Tyll was a record skier from the 60s... I think the boat is named after him..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:39am
Well, we have a winner on our first guess.

HMMM was I correct, one of our "seasoned" members came up with the answer.

Yes, apparently Al Tyll was the best Trick Skier in the world during the first half of the 60s and won the world trick championships 4 years in a row. He is a member of the waterskiing hall of fame, and the boat was named after him. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:44am
So Brian....that was a trick question? You already knew the answer? And Steve came in strong with the correct answer? Looks like a set up...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:49am
Not a trick.   I learned the answer only last week and thought I'd throw it out and see how long it would take to come up with the right answer. Oh well, Steve got it on the first try. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:50am
There's an AT on Ossipee Lake, NH for the last several years...it's the brightest red I've ever seen! The thing roars!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:58am
Brian,

Its not that Im that knowlageable on the subject...I had wondered the same thing a year or so ago and had checked on it back then..     
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 3:22am
Nice AT down on St. Johns River in FL, shown in the Diaries (red 67) Nice fellow too. I took a ride in it two years ago as it's in the area where we stay for the races at Daytona. Hopefully see Rick and his AT this coming Feb as well, along with the rest of the SO-FL gang. I bet that'll be a neat little reunion this year coming year. You guys down there get ready for a party at Silver Glen Springs.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 3:36am
WE are in!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:06am
Reid,
What are you talking about? Seriously, is there a plan for a gathering at Silver Glen.
Please tell me more or at least where I can get info. That would be somthing I would not miss.
bj
hasbeenskier
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:29am
BJ,
We've been going down to Daytona for the races for 20+ years and for the last 10 we've brought down 2-4 CC's with us and made a week of it on the St. Johns and other surrounding waters. We typically stay over/up in Astor renting a house or cabins on the water, and inevitably we end up at The Glen. The last couple of years I've tried to gather some interest from CCFan folks, but few bites. So I guess the plan is starting right now with you and I. I know that Marshall, Rodney (green 70 Mustang)and myself, along with jbear, MM, Blondie, and Keith will probably be there. So there's 6 boats plus you already. And you can bear witness to the fact that there are few places where the water or surroundings are as beautiful as Silver Glen and the St Johns. We've also launched at the Hwy40 bridge on the Silver River and cruised up to Silver Springs. Monkeys in the trees, gators on the banks and everything! This is a previously posted pict from The Glen. The big boat belongs to Rick Robinson who has the 67 Al Tyll we mentioned earlier. So there's one more CC. I can easily picture 15-20 boats with all the Central FLA guys!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:34am
Brian & Steve,

What makes the Al Tyll Skier different from a standard Skier?

Al Tyll Skier
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:56am
Al Tyll was actually based off a Barracuda hull, and was made before the advent of the later, more common and smaller Skier. And there is nothing different that I could see from riding in Ricks, except it's red all over and looks cool.

Quinner, what are you doing up this early, or did you just get in? Just kiddin, I know you're a hard core early riser.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 12:48pm
Good Morning to you too Mr. Reid and thanks for the response. Full color hulls on any CC looks great.

Woke up to 38 degrees outside this AM, WTF!!
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 1:27pm
I will go to the glen anytime!

Reid, did you ever take the ride up to salt spings, its just past the glen!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Good Morning to you too Mr. Reid and thanks for the response. Full color hulls on any CC looks great.

Woke up to 38 degrees outside this AM, WTF!!

Quinner, you city boys are pretty warm..we had 31 and a pretty good frost...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 6:16pm
Man, I haven't heard that name in a long time.

Al Tyll wrote a book called The Complete Beginners Guide to Water Skiing in the early 1970s. Great book with lots of instructional photos. I bought it when I was in 9th or 10th grade and used it as guide for learning how to trick, jump, and barefoot.

Read how to jump out of two skis and tried it before I ever saw anyone else do it. Still remember the adrenaline rush!
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Yes, apparently Al Tyll was the best Trick Skier in the world during the first half of the 60s and won the world trick championships 4 years in a row. He is a member of the waterskiing hall of fame, and the boat was named after him.

My father told me an interesting story this year. I didnt realize that Al Tyll was originally from CT- he skied on a lake just a few towns over from my family's place. When my grandfather was shopping for boats in 1967, he almost purchased a used Al Tyll Skier- from Al Tyll himself (he ended up buying a new '68 Mustang instead).
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 5:06pm
Is this "al tyll" guy still kicking, he may have an old barn full of old boats or skis or somthing, maybe someone should try to look him up!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Is this "al tyll" guy still kicking, he may have an old barn full of old boats or skis or somthing, maybe someone should try to look him up!

Not sure if he's got any boats, but you should look him up. According to this thread, he relocated to FLA.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:13pm
Al tyll wrote another book in 1966, which I picked up in the early 70s and still have. I posted some pages from it on a barefoot thread a while ago.

Here is a little promotion of his boat in it.

I found my Tique after following up this for sale ad for an Al Tyll. The seller had this Al Tyll and my Tique. I opted for the Tique because I wanted the smaller boat, although the vintage and rarity of the Al tyll were attractive. In the diaries the al tyll is reported as sold but I don't know to who or where. It was in NH.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:14am
How could you pass on that beautiful boat?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:10am
I want one of those!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 2:40am
Is that sweet or what Mark?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 3:21am
That boat is georgeous. Had it been painted?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 11:52am
Yes, it had been painted and did look nice. The interior needed work. There was no carpet (painted plywood) and the seats could stand to be upgraded a bit. I could see through all that and like I said, liked the uniqueness and history of the boat, but I was really set on the smaller boat.

The guy who did it is very good at what he does. He is affiliated with the New Hampshire Antique Boat Museum and had a gorgeous vintage chris craft he was working on in his garage. Couldn't find a picture of that one, but this blue one is also his. He also has vintage hydros.

prosweep1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosweep1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2007 at 9:20pm
Hi Reid,looking forward to seeing you and the guys. I'm just finishing up my 72 Aristocraft 19. I'll have it in Astor in Feb. The restoration was quite involved but worth the trouble. The Al Tyll is still running strong as well as the U 17 which had an engine overhaul last month. I'm getting tired of fixing boats so I'm headed to Silver Glen this weekend to relax. See ya'll later. Rick
FA4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FA4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 1:56am
In 1969, at 14 years old, my Dad bought a used
1966 Al Tyll Skier. We had it several years and it was the boat we grew up on. We rebuilt the engine once, a 300CI, 202hp Buick block, aluminum heads and intake manifolds.It would do 60mph with all systems perfect (which was rare with teens and shoestring budget)and was tha fastest boat on Quincy (MA) Bay in the late 60's early 70's. We, and many neighborhood friends learned to ski on it. I recall once pulling 4 skiers at once, it had the power to pull 8 if we could have arrranged that

1966 Al Tyll Skier owner
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 2:49am
Welcome 4nier. Let's see some pictures of your old Al Tyll. A lot of us have gone back to the photo box and dug up the pictures of the old rides. Would be great to see a pic of your family's boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2007 at 11:17am
Frank,

You still anywhere near eastern MA?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic