Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Filter Comparison/Evaluation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 6:26pm
Funny thing about filters, every part number is built different to different specs as specified by the engine manufacturer. Motorcraft FL-12, is not the same as FL-1-A, or FL-820-S, etc. Same thing can be said about the price, common filters like FL-1-A or FL-820-S are way cheaper and easier to find than a FL-12. Who buys a Motorcraft filter for a small block chevy? lol. One thing I can say about Motorcraft filters is I haven't had to warranty any engines due to one of their filters failing; while I have seen other brands of filters fail and cause catastrophic engine failure. I will continue to use the Motorcraft filters designed by Ford and built by Purolater on my Ford engines. They might not be rated the best but they have done damn well everywhere I have worked since 1969. Just my two cents.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

Who buys a Motorcraft filter for a small block chevy? lol.

I do LOL, the PCM Small Block Chevy's of the 2002's and beyond all use a remote filter, FL1A.

Was hoping Motorcraft was not as bad as that report indicates.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 10:26pm
Steve K,

An excellent project, thank you.

I have a question about your weighted averaging in your April-22-2013 10:29pm post. The best scoring filters are:

FILTER: grade FILTERING/QUALITY/surface/volume
K&N HP-3002: grade 3.88 B/A-/b+/a
Fram Xtended Guard XG5: grade 3.81 A-/A/c/a
Mobil 1 M1-302: grade 3.73 B/A/a-/a
Wix (NAPA) 51060: grade 3.42 C/A-/b+/b+
Purolator Pure-one PL34631: grade 3.42 C-/B+/a-/b+

Look at the individual grades... The Mobil 1 B/A/a-/a is better than the K&N B/A-/b+/a, so the Mobil 1 should have the higher weighted grade, correct?

I was unable to match the grades values you received. I assume you multiply the weighting times the grade, add, then divide by the weighting total (12). Example: Mobil 1: [5(3.00)+5(4.00)+1(3.67)+1(4.00)]/12 = 3.56, but you get 3.73. Am I miscalculating this?

Another question: Are all the oil filter part numbers you list for the PCM 351W? I haven't looked any of them up.

Thanks, I love this kind of study. I know, I'm a geek...

Steve
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 4:32pm
Steve, I sent you a PM, shoot me your email and I will send you my spreadsheet. Your formula above is essentially correct, I think the difference is how you value each letter grade and how I did.

I don't believe they were, the part numbers were as listed in the original study. Again, I did not complete the analysis, just reinterpreted the data.

Yeah, this stuff is cool, there are plenty of us geeks here on this forum. Then even more fun is watching the arguments that flow from the analysis - HA!

Enjoy!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2013 at 4:38pm
This is essentially the logic train I used. Now that's not to say there is an error in one of my formula's...

IF(D4="A", 4, IF(D4="A-", 3.75, IF(D4="B+", 3.25, IF(D4="B", 3, IF="B-", 2.75, IF(D4="C+", 2.25, IF(D4="C", 2, IF(D4="C-", 1.75, IF(D4="D+", 1.25, IF(D4="D", 1, IF(D4="D-", .75, IF(D4="F+", .25, 0)))))))))))

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2013 at 10:43pm
We're cleaning up a few details, stay tuned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 4:08am
OK, Steve K and I cleaned up a few technical details and have the oil filter grades.

These rankings are from the one referenced study only.

We are assuming the individual category grades (filtering, quality, etc) are common across a manufacturer's sizes of a specific filter, because the part number used in the study is not necessarily the one for our engines. For example, the different Fram filters in the study are delineated by application ("High Mileage", "Racing", etc), whereas we're referring to different filter sizes within an application type.

These rankings do not factor in price (on purpose).

The updated table follows. Five filters get an A- or B+ for their final grade. There are a lot in the middle grades, and a lot in the low grades.

I'm switching to Mobil 1 oil filters.

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2013 at 8:58pm
With some part numbers...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2021 at 3:19am
I noticed the table images disappeared over the years. Here they are again.

oil filter table with pn

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2021 at 5:40am
I was just thinking about this thread the other day when my neighbor was asking what filter and oil SHOULD he be using in his 88' Elite Craft. I told him about the many discussions of oil and filters here but that was many moons ago.... Bam!!!! Here it is. Thanks for the post Steve.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2021 at 9:57am
Guess that's what happens Tim when you have time on your hands waiting in line for gas Wink
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2021 at 10:01am
So Tim, what brand filter and what oil did you recommend?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Guess that's what happens Tim when you have time on your hands waiting in line for gas Wink

It's freaking insane down here... I had a tick under a half which is enough to get me back to work from home (53 miles) but I'd have to stop on the way home to fuel up. Got off the highway 20 miles from home to take the back roads to find gas. I passed at least 12 and all were posting 0.00 on the signs. Got home and made the decision to use my 6 gal can of boat gas in the car as I didn't wanna burn a day of Vaca for this BS. Saw on Gasbuddy this morning that 50% of GA stations have no fuel but could be worse as 75% of stations in NC have no fuel.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So Tim, what brand filter and what oil did you recommend?

This is a set up right Pete????? Tongue I'm not falling for it!!!!! Big smile

I said I use Motorcraft FL 1A and Valvoline VR-1 20w50 in both. Don't recall what he ended up using. I think Mobil filter which after seeing the table again I think I'll change to Mobil. Embarrassed
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2021 at 11:49am
Time to trade the Mazda in for a VW TDI- your probably looking at 10 gallons a week  Smile  Talk to gundriver he got his up to 79 mph once,little on the slow side for Atlanta traffic but the hours that you work you'll be fine if you stay in the truck lanes
Premium hit 399 here- other than price we can get any we want. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

This is a set up right Pete????? Tongue I'm not falling for it!!!!! Big smile

Clap Clap Wink

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic