NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK’s 78 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 11:56pm
Re-inventing the wheel is a much better pass-time than looting.

Roger, that cradle turned out well. I'd say it's worthy of being called art. I hope it wears as well as it looks down the road.

Did you, or has anyone, thought about a mod that would speed up the bolting process on the mount to cradle?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger, It's been definitely confirmed that your are as anal as I am!! Probably worse!!    I wake up in the middle of the night and think about projects and assume you do the same. Ether that or, as mentioned before, you just have too much extra time on your hands!!    

It takes one to know one
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Re-inventing the wheel is a much better pass-time than looting.

Roger, that cradle turned out well. I'd say it's worthy of being called art. I hope it wears as well as it looks down the road.

Did you, or has anyone, thought about a mod that would speed up the bolting process on the mount to cradle?

Greg I am going to use the engine mount bolts to hold the cradle in along with hook under tabs at the front of the cradle which are glassed onto the stringers, so if you remove all the bolts from mount to stringers lift the engine/drive out the cradle should slide back 5/8 and lift out,bonded bushes into the stringers will take the bolts.
That's the plan we will see if it works, and yes I will need to remove the pylon first too, look a page back I took a picture of a mock up.

I think this what your asking,

Cheers Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 7:09pm
This how the rest turned out,

Made the plug by mixing in fibers of carbon in the epoxy then put the mix into some tubes I had (these are what our router bits come in)making sure no air was trapped,to stop the heat build up and melting the tubes,just put them in water filled pots and left to dry.

Then spun down to fit dilled and glue in a stud to hold the pin in

Then glued the plug into the base

Spun up a glass base glued on with a lead up for the glassing in.
checked the weight of the old and new 499g for new old was 505.5g so as good as the same.

Fitted an O ring to pin as I will need to unscrew to slide the cradle out
lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 8:03pm
Then set in the hull with the cradle and pylon once set removed pylon and cradle and build up with carbon sleeving and bi axial carbon have 9 layers now at different angles.
Used some carbon thread to hold it all together

lets have a go 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 8:13pm
You lost 6.5 grams of strength...it'll never work.   
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 8:32pm
Roger, really creative, cool stuff going on here- nice work!

Im curious- what drove you towards fiber on a few of these parts? How does working with it compare to epoxy/glass? Is the strength/weight significantly higher?

Ive considered the pin vs. socket thing before, glad to see someone actually implement it!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 8:38pm
Tim, the strength is a good bit higher and the weight is similar.
1988 BFN-sold

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 8:40pm
Well said Tim. Roger I love the stuff you come up with. Very cool to see what one can do with a bit of ingenuity!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 7:45am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

You lost 6.5 grams of strength...it'll never work.   

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Roger, really creative, cool stuff going on here- nice work!

I'm curious- what drove you towards fiber on a few of these parts? How does working with it compare to epoxy/glass? Is the strength/weight significantly higher?

Ive considered the pin vs. socket thing before, glad to see someone actually implement it!

Thanks Tim,I just thought what would bond in well to the hull so it had to be a composite of some kind so why not try carbon its not that expensive over here,as to how it works the twill weave I use on the cradle can be a pain to hold down you need it to be nice and sticky epoxy to go onto.
The carbon bi axial is a treat to use it will lay out well and go round shapes well its like wet cloth when pre wetted on a bench, I also think it uses less epoxy to wet out than glass.

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Well said Tim. Roger I love the stuff you come up with. Very cool to see what one can do with a bit of ingenuity!

Thanks Keegan glad to here you enjoy my playing around with stuff
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 8:15pm
I had a go at my wrapped foam, just wasn't happy with it so played with shrinking it first tried a map gas gun which worked but did not spread the heat enough so then went with a electric heat gun 1500w worked great and shrank the PVC DPC all over, it got me thinking so tried it over polystyrene with good results, I used gaffer tape to hold it together before heat shrinking,then just added new when all shrunk round.

Before heat gun

After heat gun

Polystyrene wrapped in PVC

lets have a go 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 8:32pm
I think Ken & Barbie will like their new dock!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 9:46pm
Hey Roger,
Is that some real wood I see in your shop?   

What is "gaffer" tape. We need an English to English translation!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 10:51pm

Pete - Gaffers tape is much like duct tape, but is easier to remove. it is commonly used in stage productions for securing things like light cords, and microphone cables... it's nice stuff, but pricey on our side of the pond! last I checked it was about 30 bucks a roll
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 11:06pm
Also known as gaffers tape on this side of the pond...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 8:18am

Hey Roger,
Is that some real wood I see in your shop?   

Yes I have a few sticks of real wood around the shop and tones of Mdf, I was just not sure what you guys call it over there I'm still learning American.

I do feel that wrapped Polystyrene could be a cheaper alternative to foam by using old packing blocks and gluing together then shape and wrap with PVC just not sure if there are many grades of Polystyrene? It would be good to see what the collective mind here thinks.

We need to drive cost down so more old boats are saved a long term thing I'm looking into is a glued in stringers only, like some new boats now do and some jet ski are.

Kris, yes it not cheap here £3 to £12 a roll depending on size and yes much the same a your duck tape.

Thanks Joe, so I was not to way off with the name.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 9:54am
puertorican chrome?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

puertorican chrome?

This where we are at with chrome... left to right Ali,Chrome,Steel(look for the magnet) and below all Mdf unit in Steel then acid rusting agent on it there is a magnet holding the picture up.

lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 5:36pm
Shall see if this works, got some cheapo burst pipe detectors off the nett they are battery operated with a buzzer if water hits the senders, put some extra epoxy around the wire at the sender heads to seal more,(the original seal looked like clear silicon)then epoxy to the low points in the hull that will be sealed up, I have 5 set in and shall wire them up to a 6 way rotary switch and one buzzer marked up as to where they are.
It will be interesting to see if all stays dry after all the CCF mods

lets have a go 2
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:24am
It's real fun to watch all the stuff you come up with Roger!
I really need to plan a trip acroos the Channel to come see it in person...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 8:17am
Kristof don't forget all this stuff is down to Belgium Beer power
I hope your beer travels with you      
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:20am
Amazing thread Roger.

I might need to head down south to Hemel one day to pickup some new skills or just marvel at the work you have completed. I absolutely love the carbon fiber look to the cradle, absolutely amazing.

Threads like this just confirm that this is the right forum to be on. Keep the great stuff coming.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by MattB MattB wrote:

Amazing thread Roger.

I might need to head down south to Hemel one day to pickup some new skills or just marvel at the work you have completed. I absolutely love the carbon fiber look to the cradle, absolutely amazing.

Threads like this just confirm that this is the right forum to be on. Keep the great stuff coming.

Thanks Matt,all the info you need is here on this site to keep that sharp looking boat of yours tip top for some of us fooling around with these US icons help you relax

Enjoy the site and the great knowledge on it along with the members
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
josemcordero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josemcordero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 1:25am
Hey roger

It Jose Cordero I sent you the message on the cad drawings my email is josemcordero@gmail.com
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 2:49pm
Hi Jose, have your mail and sent the files,please read as many of the stringer rebuilds as you can and build up a plan that suits you,lots of great tips on here to make it all go well.

Please start a thread of the build to help others and any tips you find along the way.

Thanks for saving another 70' SN

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
nautique78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 8:25pm
Im interested to see pictures of your project after you have completed it. Will you post some current pictures of the boat soon?
nautique78

56Hot Rod Special
70Mustang
70Skier
76Tique
78Nautique
79Nautique
92Nautique
98Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by nautique78 nautique78 wrote:

Im interested to see pictures of your project after you have completed it. Will you post some current pictures of the boat soon?

Roger may not. I think he's shifted over to wood hulls!!! As long as he doesn't try to put some MDF in it, I think he'll be OK!!
Roger,
You know I will never stop poking you about that non wood "substitute" IE MDF!! BUT, you are doing fantastic projects with it! I envy your skills.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Boat Nurse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boat Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:46pm
Ditto Pete, Roger, have we made final plans yet... Boat dr
The Boat Nurse
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 4:32pm

Will do just been waiting for the temp to rise here so I can do the final part I have planed.

Been working on the engine and other parts

lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 4:41pm

Roger may not. I think he's shifted over to wood hulls!!! As long as he doesn't try to put some MDF in it, I think he'll be OK!!
Roger,
You know I will never stop poking you about that non wood "substitute" IE MDF!! BUT, you are doing fantastic projects with it! I envy your skills.

Thanks Pete, I'm only using Mdf for formers But I have been tempted to try    there is a water proof one
lets have a go 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic