NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23' Fish Nautique Restoration Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617>
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by jzarski jzarski wrote:

Well I just don't really what is right or wrong. Is the shaft centered in the log? Is it in the cutless right?

It must be centered in the log, first you check side to side clearance, then up and down, if it's not properly centered then you most likely have a bent strut or it needs to be shimmed on the base. Keep in mind that while not attached, the weight on the coupler end will make it sit lower on the log.

Do I have the shaft packing tight enough?

you will know when you have the boat in the water, it not properly adjusted you'll have water coming by the packing, you want a few drops per minute. By the way, going with a dripless seal is a good idea.

It seems like it is even all the way around but how close does it need to be?

I think you want a 0,005 feeler gauge at max all the way around between the couplers facing each other. You should measure at 90ºs and then correct with the engine mounts if you have differences.

Can I pull or push the shaft in or out to make it fit tighter? This is my issue...

When using the feeler blades you want to have the couplers against each other. Remember the couplers need to effortlesly fit, if you need to force the shaft coupler in, you most likely need to move the engine.

The engines goes to the shaft coupler, not viceversa.

hope this helped.
tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 1:32am

Well I just don't really what is right or wrong. Is the shaft centered in the log? Is it in the cutless right? Do I have the shaft packing tight enough? I know nothing really about the inboard stuff. I know what is all does but as for making sure it is right, no clue. I have the tranny set to the shaft, with no bolts yet. It seems like it is even all the way around but how close does it need to be? Can I pull or push the shaft in or out to make it fit tighter? This is my issue...

John

Hi John, Been folowing the build and you doing a great job. Think of the shaft log as a packing nut on a faucet. You should inspect the hose and clamps. when you back the nut all the way off the shaft you will see the packing. You can take a sharp pich and remove the packing and replace it. It just wraps around the shaft and rests against a stop in the shaft log. You tighten the nut just until the dripping stops. If you tighten it to much the packing will get to hot and not last as long. Some people let the logs drip just a little and it helps keep the packing wet and cool. If the shaft doesn't wobble in the strut the cutless bearing is OK. You can pull or push on the shaft. Hope this helps.
Don Liberman
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 8:45am
John,
While I was off, Luc and Don did a great job of trying to clear up you questions but there are a couple things I'd like to add. The max difference between the couplng faces per the specs is .003" most will get it better and down to .000 is possible. The closer to zero tells you the closer the prop shaft centerline is to the engine/trans centerline.

All shaft packing must drip since it is water lubricated. The type of packing used determines how much. I suggest regular - about 5 to 6 and Teflon (Gortex) about 1 to 2 drips per minute.

Hang in there and just keep up the good work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 7:26pm

Well I finally finished the rear cap. It is primed and pretty much ready for gelcoat. It came out better then I ecpected it to.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Out of curiosity, I have to ask why you left the original 45 degree kick in on the gunnel sides and didn't go straight back. Is there somthing going under the deck? Forgive me if I missed something.

Two reasons why I did this. One was I wanted to be able to mount downriggers in the rear of the boat. The main reason is for the gas fills. If I where to go straight back there woud not be enough room for me to make the turn for the gas fill.

Pete, just because I like to give you a hard time every chance I can, you may want to take a look at the rear cap on the later Fish Nautiques!

Intentional or not, its not a totally "unoriginal" modification after all!
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 12:56am
Few things done...
Sorry for the slow work. I am working on it just not big things that photo graph well or are even worth photo graphing. I replaced all the hoses on the motor. I glassed in the vent covers. Finishes all the fuel line hookups and also installed the live well pump. Here are a few pics...

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 1:08pm
What's the plan to finish the deck? Gel? Texture? Rubber?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
cputampa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cputampa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 8:40pm
WOW! Just went through this whole post and congratulations on the job so far. Excellent. Did this boat go on ship-shape for the stringer job? I think I saw it some time ago.
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 11:55pm
Center console Frame....
Today I started the center console frame. This will allow me to mount the console to the boat. It will also act as a stop for water. I am making it out of half inch NIDA-CORE. I cut it on the table saw at 3 inches. I used a router to cut the deck where I will be mounting it. The NIDA will get glassed to the deck making it a permeant mounting spot. I left myself about a 1/4 of an inch for the console to slide over. If you don't understand what I am taking about check back in a few days and you will understand then. Once I get the console in the boat again it will all make sense. Enjoy the pics and have a safe Holiday weekend......

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 10:42pm
Few pics of progress.......

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2011 at 8:40am
Cool job John!

What type of fastening are you gonna use to keep the center console down?

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 1:08am
Attached deck to the walls....
I have been working on tying the new deck to the walls. Well today we laid the last few pieces of glass. I am about ready for paint on the inside. Thinking I will start Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. It amazing how much stiffer the deck got by tying it in. Here is a few pics...

tuna_tugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuna_tugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2011 at 2:20am
It's a first class job you are doing. After following you through this project I sold my Fish realizing at my age and down here in Mexico it would be a major undertaking. Do you have any idea what she will weight when you are finished. Think about spray rails while your in the construction mode. Even though it took the seas just fine it tended to be a wet ride. I look forward to seeing the final product.
Don Liberman
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 6:53pm
Gunnel is primed.....
I spent the day sanding, filling and priming the gunnels of the boat. I unsed a product called Slick Sand for the primer. It is a high build polly primer. Enjoy the pics.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2011 at 6:59pm
looking good!!!!
can´t wait to see it finished!!1
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 12:12am
Inside is progressing....
Today I got strated on the inside walls of the boat. I used a light weight body filler to skim coat the chop. Then I hit it with a "Mud Hog" it's a name for a big DA sander. I knocked it down with 40 grit then went to 80 grit. Tomorrow I will spray it all with slick sand. Sand the slick sand with 400 grit and she will be reay for paint. Enjoy the pics.....

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 6:21pm
First coat of primer done....
Spent the first few hours of the morning sanding the edges of all the corners and blocking the areas that the DA didn't reach. After a quick blow out with the air and a last minute vacuum it was time for spraying. I am using Slick Sand as my primer. It applied about 3/4 of a gallon for the first coat. I am thinking I will need 2 more gallons. Here are a few photos....

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2011 at 5:55pm
Floor work in progressing. Hope to be in paint by the weekend. I have been out of town for a week then had to work 6 14 hour days while my Dad was gone so 2 weeks got thrown out. I am back at it.

jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 11:31pm
Well after working crazy hours and going out of town a few times. I am back at it in force. I have completed the paint on the Gunels and side walls. Tonight I will be putting the nonskid on the floor. The console it painted and ready to be installed. Looking like two more weeks of work before I can splash her. Enjoy the Pics......

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2011 at 2:21am
Whew! You are a maniac! Working all those hours and getting this beauty done. Compared to restoring the Skier this thing is a Goliath. Truly an amazing undertaking, I am in awe.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2011 at 11:47pm
Inside Paint is done!!!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!
Well it is offical. The boat construction and paint is done. Now it's time to put it all back together. Just ordered all the wire, connectors, switches and terminals for the console. Still need to get the hydro hose for the steering and a few other odds and ends. Here are a few pics of the Nonskid deck all done.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 2:16am
Wow what else can you say
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 5:22am
Fantastic!!

Can't wait to see this beauty in all of her glory when you finish her...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Polar Express View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polar Express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 7:39am
I just saw this thread (I'm new here) and this is a cool thread. Thank you for taking the time to document what you have done.

PE
1996 Sport Nautique

This is America, if you don't like it, go conquer another country, and start your own.

I'll keep my God, my guns and my freedom, Barry can keep his 'change'
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 10:56am

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 12:32pm
John,
Once again it was a pleasure seeing your fantastic work!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jzarski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 1:44am
Done
Well I know I haven't been posting any progress and thats because I haven't had time. I have been working hard on the boat to finish, I have also been working full time. Besides all the real work I have been able to finish the boat. Yeah you heard it right the 23' Fish Nautique Restoration is complete. It has been a year and a week since my fist post and a long road. These postings will continue until the boat is 100% perfect. I plan on splashing her this week, I will make a video of the first run. I will be taking finish pictures this week also and will post them when I have them. For now enjoy the few pics I have been taking...

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 1:57am
Truly amazing adventure! I have enjoyed following it. You will be in the Bahamas in no time!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Green Durant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Durant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 12:51am
air-conditioned baiter! I attending advanced to seeing the advance.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 2:42pm
at least the spammer read the thread! LOL!

nice work John
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2011 at 7:02pm
Awesome !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic