Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Parts For 1968 Barracuda

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Parts For 1968 Barracuda
    Posted: February-07-2010 at 9:10pm
I have a pylon that is one inch bronze with a ring and finger brazed to the top. It is correct for earlier Atoms but I am not sure about the Barrracuda. I have attempted to post pictures without success. If you are interested send me an e-mail and I will forward the pics directly.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by cudas51 cudas51 wrote:

Is there any evidence of the name "Lady B" being on the transom?

JD,
Brings back some memories! I always made a point of coming out of the Watercraft shop, going out to the gas pier and lending a hand on the gas pump when I saw the Lady B coming in. Even though that Cuda's color was always a favoite, it was more who was driving and her fiends that she always had with her!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 2:51pm
John, I just saw this post. I am in. Thanks for checking for me.
Send me an email using the site link if you need anything from me.
Thanks again.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
cudas51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cudas51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2010 at 12:15pm
I was reading the thread for this 68 Barracuda and knew of a boat just like this in Northern WI. years ago. I lost track of it about 10 years ago. Is there any evidence of the name "Lady B" being on the transom? If there is evidence, or if you believe this boat was in the Eagle River WI. area, I have some history of this boat. john
blink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 8:25pm
Roger the ones that shelly and I found look like the pic that you posted I will take a look at the one we have at home and compare them to your pic and maybe shelly (if you ask her pretty please ) will take a photo and post it . then if it will work I will call my friend and see how many he has and some weekend i will go fetch them for you and send them out cross you fingers
BTW looks like I lost my 82-2001 to sanity
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 12:52am
John, if there are 2 of these Staffs around, I would be interested in one too.... But naturally Larry would get First dibs. I need the one in the picture I posted above.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
blink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2010 at 12:44am
I might have access to the flag pole you are looking for ,I will have sanity take a pic and post it
BTW looks like I lost my 82-2001 to sanity
71Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2009 at 12:02am
Hi. I saw this bow staff last night. It would not work on our bow light. The correct staff is pictured above in an input from critter. Another member is going to sell a correct staff to me. Thanks!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2009 at 1:12am
Pennant Staff

Would this one work?

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2009 at 3:06am
Hi Pete,
I looked through the Barracuda diaries again last night, also. I'm enjoying the learning! Apparently the pylon which would be correct for our boat and its model year and its glassed in cup anchor would be a shorter version of the tall, straight pylon which came in our '71 Ski Nautique. That one also steps in a glassed in cup syle anchor. The pylons for the '71 SN were extra tall for at least that one year for some reason. What I think I'm learning is that a pylon for our '68 Barracuda would have the same shape and construction. It would just be shorter by several inches. I know that others are looking for the same type pylon, so finding one is going to be difficult. I'll keep looking and asking questions and I'll enjoy the learning aspect! Thanks for the info.   Larry
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 11:23am
Larry,
I just went through the diaries 67 to 69. I did find one stepped pylon on a 68 but most were the straight type. As mentioned, finding a pylon isn't easy and your best option may be to fabricate one. Now, the ring and finger is hard to find as well but it too can be fabricated.

I did install several dealer installed pylons back in the late 60's early 70 when I worked at Watercraft Sales. Typically the anchors were glassed in at the keel and a hole in the floor was there just covered up with the vinyl flooring. A couple did require glassing in the anchor and cutting the hole.

Both the early stepped type and then the latter early straight pylons where not anchored to the floor. They simply went through a hole in the floor and held in place at the keel with ether the clevis or a bolt through the cup/pin at the bottom.

Since the ring and finger is the tough part to fab, keep your eyes open for one. Then, if you can't do the pylon itself check out local machine shops.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 1:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2009 at 12:21am
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the information. The cup anchor is the only type I've ever seen, so I'm not familiar with anything else. Does anyone have a photo of the clevis anchor? Also, does anyone have a photo and dimensions of the correct type of pylon for the cup anchor in our '68 Barracuda?
Thanks!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 11:37am
I've always liked the standard version better and someone already installed a Morse control. Also, the console is complete except that the shifters are gone. The linkage is there, but no shifters.   We're a long ways off from make the final decision, but I'm inclined to try to duplicate the 67 Barracuda my family had.

Steve, someone told me you had a console and shifters. Is that so?
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

...and getting rid of the SS.

WHAT?!!! You are not keeping the center console? SSes are one of the most desirable boats. Why would you want to standardize it?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 11:08am
If the older style will fit into the round anchor we may use it as we're leaning on restoring the 68 to look like a 67, and getting rid of the SS.

Did the 68s have a wide clearance bar? PO said our 68 did not have a pylon, but there are holes and marks on the rear deck and I found a trim ring in with all the parts that makes me think it had one.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 8:59am
Larry,
I feel 68 was right in the middle of changes to pylons. You can't really go by the photos because in many cases CC would use previous years pictures. Also depending on when they made the hull and which anchor was glassed into the hull at that time really determined which pylon went into the boat on completion. IE: If they made a hull and it had the clevis glassed in and the hull sat around for awhile then the stepped pylon would go in the boat. If it was the cup anchor like yours is then the newer style pylon would be installed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2009 at 12:59am
The anchor in our '68 Barracuda is round and the base is glassed in. i will measure its inside diameter and depth the next time I go to work on the boat at my son's house. Also, I started skiing in 1970 with a friend who had a '68 Ski Nautique. I still have some photos of his boat and one shows the top half or so of his tow pylon. It has the telescope shape with two "step-downs" going from bottom to top and its just like the pylons that I've seen in the '68 catalog photos here on CCF. Can anyone help us sort out the different pylon and anchor styles from the late 60s and what fits what?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 10:35am
I believe the 68 pylons were not telescoping like the older pylons. The older pylons had a different shape anchor or what some have referred to as a cleavis. The 68 we just picked up has a round anchor.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 1:31am
This is the pennant staff that should be correct for that bow light.
I just missed it on ebay this afternoon. Was outbid.

I too am still looking.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 1:19am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Very Clean! Get some more pics posted!

Please do! I'm a sucker for that shade of blue! Very pretty set of boats you have there!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2009 at 12:58am
Very Clean! Get some more pics posted!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 11:54pm
By the way, that's my oldest son at the wheel of the boat in the photo posting above. Both of my sons love this boat and I've enjoyed working with them on her. We have a lot more to do!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 11:50pm
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and questions / information. The guy we bought this boat from managed to lose both of its original poles and flags!! The stern pole went to the bottom of his lake and he accidentally threw out the bow staff while cleaning out his garage. That was very sad and frustrating to find out!!

I didn't know that the ski pylons changed through the late 1960s. I recall them having a "telescope" shape and I thought they were all the same until Correct Craft went to the pylon that's in my '71 Ski Nautique. But, I'm learning new things about these older boats all the time. Should I measure the diameter and height of the pylon anchor that's glassed in the bottom of this boat as a help in finding a pylon? Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or information on the pylon or if you ever see or hear of an original-style stern pole for this boat. Thanks again!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 11:10pm
That sure is a beautiful boat. I've watched that each time it was for sale. Wished I lived closer so I could have looked at it. Looks like it buffed out really well.

I'd like to find a pylon for a 68 too. I've got the older style from a 66, but I'm not sure it will fit in the different style anchor.

What happened to the stern light that was with that boat? It had one in the listing. They come up on ebay from time to time.

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 7:43pm
That's the boat from Indiana.. Very nice in deed. If you got the boat for what I think you did, that guy really lost a bundle. It was originally up in Steven's Point, WI... Drop me a line on the staff... d.dorsen@worldnet.att.net

That boat didn't have a pylon originally. Wasn't ordered with one. Check to see if the anchor for it is glassed in under the front section of the motor. I'm looking for a pylon as well for my SS. not easy to find. The original floor had a hole in it and the base, but was never ordered with one...

Moj'

Welcome to the site..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 7:13pm
We just purchased this boat about a month ago from another member of this site.This is the only full boat shot I have at the moment. I have more pics of the boat in the diary I just started.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 7:04pm
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 12:44pm
Post some pics of the boat.

I think the pylons changed in 68.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2009 at 12:35pm
Show us a picture of the light you have. I may have a burgee staff that would work.

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic