Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jimj64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimj64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ignition
    Posted: August-06-2011 at 6:44pm
Know idea what happened to them. When I winterized the boa it was as beautifully as always, went to recommision in the spring and they were gone.

The strangest part is that the cap and rotor were put back on, engine box closed and winter cover put back on to make it look like nothing had happened. I suspect my ex may have done it as a way to cause me grief, she's done a few `interesting` things.

jim
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 8:16am
Jim,
So, what happened to the point set that was missing? They sure didn't disappear on their own!! Do you know what happened to them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 1:16am
Jim - Quite a story, what's next, steal the RWP impeller?

Maybe they will post your points on ebay!

Good luck on your new setup.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jimj64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimj64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:51pm
Thanks for the welcome Pete (I hope that's right).

It's kinda funny, I've owned my '75 for almost 7 years now and just changed the sea water pump impeller and points/condensor for the first time. I tried to order the Pertronix conversion kit last summer and to my dismay discovered it was not in anyway compatible with my distributor (Mercruiser 233R, completely original). I set/cleaned the points, replaced the cap and rotor (standard motorcraft pre-1975 auto parts, and yes they are the "correct" marine parts also)and kept on boating.

Went to start up the boat this spring and cranked and cranked and cranked.... So I start looking, check for fuel, yup, got that, check for spark...nothing! Thinking the points had given up I open up the distributor and....no friggin points or condenser, apparently they grew legs and walked away!!

I spent 2 days trying to figure what replacement points to buy, 2 local Mercury dealerships were useless, I finally ended up talking to a woman at a local bumper to bumper that still had an old marine catalog, sure enough they had a listing for my engine, the woman recognized the part numbers as being Holley parts, cross referenced them to some old Chrysler parts and sure enough, the points are Holley parts that are also used on older Chrysler motors. And luckily they had one of each in stock, back on the water in 20 minutes after installing points/condenser and setting the dwell and timing!

The next day I ordered a new mallory Billet electronic distributor, it should be here middle of next week. I didn't buy the mallory unit because I think points are unreliable either, I did it because I don't want to have to go searching for points the next time some @%$^$ decides they need them more than me, for some reason neither of the two local Mercury dealerships, both of which have been around 20 years or more, have a clue about parts for my motor, I'll be waiting longer for the spare set of points I ordered last weekend than for the Mallory distributor, which I had to buy out of the states (I am in western Canada).
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 11:25am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Stan - You give up to easy!     Diversity is a good thing for any organization, otherwise it gets tunnel vision.

Stay engaged.   FWIW I like my Prestolite EI, plugs stay much cleaner than with points & it starts on the first piston up.

I totally agree with Chris on this. I did an point conversion to EI 4 years ago and used a Pertronix system. I have taken some shots about it and been told that there are allot better systems than what I'm using but that is what I went with. She is still going strong and has let me down yet.

The boatdr and I have butted heads on this and a couple of other discussions we've had but he is still a close friend 1st, a CCFan 2nd and I'd give him the shirt off my back if he needed it and I know he'd do the same for me.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I did have a problem with my 54, 20 years after I did the engine rebuild but it wasn't the point set or condensor. The plug wire ends in the distributor cap had turned green with copper oxide.

Pete, maybe you need to run that boat a little bit more. You neglected her,she needed more water time and she let you know about it.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 9:20am
Jim,
It's some of the conversions that aren't reliable.

28 years or about 600 hours. Never replaced a condensor. Never needed to clean up the point set even on spring start up. Never needed to adjust the dwell. BTW, the Y block ran great and always turned it's WOT 4400. I just felt it was time for a tune up one day after thinking about how many years it had been!!

I did have a problem with my 54, 20 years after I did the engine rebuild but it wasn't the point set or condensor. The plug wire ends in the distributor cap had turned green with copper oxide. A new cap, new plug wires and some dielectric grease solved that issue!

Welcome to CCfan!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimj64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimj64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 4:23am
With all due respect to all that have posted in this thread ( I say this because I am only expressing my personal opinion, nothing more)

Points are very reliable, but they do wear, require adjustment and will fail if not maintained. 28 years from one set, how many condensors were put in in that time? I'm sure most members are aware that the condensor reduces point arcing and thus prolongs the life of the points. It's also one thing to say one set lasted 28 years, but how many hours of running time were accumulated in that time? Again I am not trying to start an argument or cast aspersions on anyone, merely pointing out that there are variables involved.

There are two distinct advantages to a well designed and built electronic ignition. They have a higher spark energy, and little or no maintenance. As far as reliability goes, millions of engines have run millions of miles on electronic ignitions. I have owned about 40 cars/trucks/boats/motorcycles over the last 30 years and have easily accumulated over a million miles without a single electronic ignition failure. I have had issues with exactly 2 points ignition engines, both of them late 60's Evinrude Outboards. The only difference in my experience is that points require maintenance and adjustment, electronics don't.

One caveat, I did say well designed and built ignition systems, I have no experience with the various conversion kits on the market.

JimJ
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 12:07pm
Stan - You give up to easy!     Diversity is a good thing for any organization, otherwise it gets tunnel vision.

Stay engaged.   FWIW I like my Prestolite EI, plugs stay much cleaner than with points & it starts on the first piston up.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 1:36am
Awesome!
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 1:27am
Yea your right maybe I do need to calm down. Think I'll go for a boat ride tonight. Finally got the motor and tranny back in and and had a test ride this afternoon.. No hard feelings and sorry to you as well.. If I;m still allowed I will continue to bounce around CC fan . Maybe I just won't have any input.. Thanks
stan082
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 9:51pm
Stan
I see you logged into the site at about 2 AM last night so I hope you were able to get my response to your're "arrogant" comment. I NEVER intended to come across that way and am sorry once again you took it that way. I apologized the best way I could for any misunderstanding and you had no responce.

As mentioned, maybe it's yourself that needs to calm down. If you can't handle what I feel the to be the fantastic group/members on CCfan, then maybe you need to move onto a different site. Try the 2001 or as mentioned the SN site. Sorry!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by surroundsound64 surroundsound64 wrote:

Don't get one of the conversion kits, such as ignitor. I've used 3 different makes and they all worked for about 20 hours before becoming unreliable

I have a theory on this,I think it's down to distributor grounding. My Dads Shamrock was going thru condencers like crazy.Being a center consol it was hard to work on. He finally decided to go with a pertronix so he pulled the distributor to make it easier and found the clamp and the base of the distributor rusty.He cleaned it up and also ran a seperate ground from the distributor body to the block, and then installed the pertronix unit.1100 hours later when he sold it,it was still running strong. He also carried the parts and tools to change back to the points should he have a failure. By the way I too am still running points,I like the retro look of my Mallory YL mechanical tach drive flatcap distributor.

Hum... May be! Hadn't thought of that. Either way, I have the DUI now and love it. Boat never started so easy or accelerated so smoothly.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:31am
Gary,
     Your are correct, now I remember. Billy told me about the conversion and Chris told me about the MSD Blaster. So far the setup has been really good.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 11:39pm
Tony that set up was the one Billy was recommending.I went to put one on my Mallory YL,but I could not get the points cam to come off and didn't want to wreck anything,so I'm back to the points.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Even Chris, 79Nautique, helped me a lot even though he had a "STRONG" opinion sometimes.

Tony.
"Strong opinion"??? That's an understatement!!!

BTW, I haven't heard from the lad lately!! I wonder what's going on with him? I'll email him when I get in the office tomorrow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 10:15pm
Pete,
    Don't worry about it. I know that without this website probably I won't be able to have a boat. People like you, Boat Dr, Tim, and others have helped me a lot. Everybody has different opinions but I think everybody offer a good solution after all, is free advice and really good. Even Chris, 79Nautique, helped me a lot even though he had a "STRONG" opinion sometimes. Those who know how, know, but clueless people like me this has been a gold mine of information and great friends. I was blown away the first time Boat Dr. would call me to help out and like him I had similar experience of people helping me. How about Luchog that is in the other end of the world and he is always helping. I dislike when people get a little personal. Is uneccessary IMO but I guess are entitle to comment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 9:24pm
Tony,
Thanks much for backing me up. It's appreciated big time. I've learned to use the "emocicons" but sometimes it's still a problem communicating via written word. I really feel Stan needs to calm down and reread this thread!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 7:57pm
You will find that a lot of people around here will give you their best advice and the reasons for it. Pete has been one of foundation pilar to this website and his advice comes with a lot of experience. After all, everybody got their reason. They will give you the best advice but at the end you make your own decision. I was told the same thing about point and they have a strong valid point. At the end I wanted changed them anyways. Somebody recommended the Mallory E-Spark optical conversion. I have it for three years and I am extremely happy with it. Just my 2 cents. The DUI is perfect but it comes with a price. The Mallory conversion was around $100.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 7:39pm
Stan,
I'm sorry to hear that I must have "ruffled your feathers" BUT, I get real upset when someone comes on site and recommends automotive equipment on a marine engine hence the "back yard" comment. There are plenty of people that come to the site that may not know the difference and end up with a dangerous situation.

Hopefully one of these days our paths will cross and we'll have the opportunity to meet in person.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 11:49pm
I'm really glad for you that you know someone from the factory,wish I did. The next time you have trouble,why don't you ask them to help?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 10:29pm
Hey Grand poobah Gary nice to meet you . This Pete guy may have gone out of his way to help people but his arrogance is rediculous.. You are right I can go somewhere else to find info but the problem is I ended up here and was insulted with his 1/2 a$$ remarks about me.. You may be his friend and I'm not really trying to help my cause but I thought this was a forum and it's about helping others that may have a problem with whatever cc they are working on. So if you and this guy Pete like to be disrespectful to new people joining your forum   maybe you should go elsewhere and take you arrogant friend with you.. I could care a less about your forum status as you and this Peter guy have no idea who I know from C.C. and the connections I've made living 1 mile away from the factory the past 45 years here on lake conway. BTW thanks for your response.. It's been great.
stan082
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:39am
Originally posted by surroundsound64 surroundsound64 wrote:

Don't get one of the conversion kits, such as ignitor. I've used 3 different makes and they all worked for about 20 hours before becoming unreliable

I have a theory on this,I think it's down to distributor grounding. My Dads Shamrock was going thru condencers like crazy.Being a center consol it was hard to work on. He finally decided to go with a pertronix so he pulled the distributor to make it easier and found the clamp and the base of the distributor rusty.He cleaned it up and also ran a seperate ground from the distributor body to the block, and then installed the pertronix unit.1100 hours later when he sold it,it was still running strong. He also carried the parts and tools to change back to the points should he have a failure. By the way I too am still running points,I like the retro look of my Mallory YL mechanical tach drive flatcap distributor.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 1:09am
You do know your not really helping your cause don't you? Pete has over the years gone out of his way to help people here.I have met the man and consider him a friend.If you don't like the way he does things,you are welcome to go elsewhere.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:49am
Oh yea one more thing Pete I have heard you got 28 years on a points set . Thats awesome..... Bring your dingy down here for a month and see how your breakerless system works in the rain for a year..
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:16am
Oops that was going to Peter not Keith whoever 8122 is. The Grand Master of all marine
stan082
zeclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2011 at 12:03am
You are right Keith, I am a backyard hack, Florida Cracker that works on " Marine equipment " underneath an oak tree. Also I am new to this forum you die hard grand pubas seem too so much want to control via your response . So sorry my " 1/2 a$$ advice " with link attached was so over the top for you.... So I will tell you how all the cars made it through the last 100 years with " breakers ".. Because the system is good but not perfect and it has   been proven over time. However technology seems to catch up to us. So sorry my advice on " automotive " equipment was so upsetting to you and this forum. I kind of thought the " marine equipment " you so highly speak of is based on the automotive technology and the progress over time. Hey thats fine you keep your " points" to yourself.. Hey I'm also sorry the hyperlink was not attached properly. I'll do my best to figure out how to do a proper link to this site. BTW what car company manufactures   a breakerless system these days? No more advice, and that is advice with a " c " just in case you did not know how to spell will be coming from me since the opinions on this forum will be scrutinized so strongly from the master that you are.. Hey BTW thanks for all the info from everyone regarding the rear main seal on the 82 nautiqe. Keep shooting that film in your camera...
stan082
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:58pm

Luch.
OK, so the Mallory distributor is simply a stock unit with a EI modal in it??

That was my apreciation but I could be wrong...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:15pm

And I went 28 years on a point set. Never touched them, never had a starting problem, never had a performance problem so I never was stuck out on the lake!

The point being is a point set is reliable and has been for years. A point set can be cleaned up out on the lake - You can't do that with a burnt out module so you need to carry a spare. Electronics can and are problematic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Pete, I've seen a Mallory (YL?) series electronic distributor, it's just a conventional distributor with the mallory EI conversion from factory... dont see why it would be superior to a conversion kit yet, besides the fact it's new and not 30 years worn.

Luch.
OK, so the Mallory distributor is simply a stock unit with a EI modal in it??

Don't forget I got 28 years out of a point set without ANY filing/sanding the contact faces!!! Unbelievable? No. it'e true!! It started EVERY year and the contact faces weren't that worn. There's a thread on when I put the new point set in the X55. I'l see if I can find it.

This guy has been smoking something!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2011 at 9:40pm
Pete, I've seen a Mallory (YL?) series electronic distributor, it's just a conventional distributor with the mallory EI conversion from factory... dont see why it would be superior to a conversion kit yet, besides the fact it's new and not 30 years worn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic