Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 SN restore in Idaho

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 83 SN restore in Idaho
    Posted: September-24-2011 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

boat is looking sweet,you should be proud.i like the carpet,where did you get it?

Thanks, I am The carpet is from Home Depot.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 1:32am
boat is looking sweet,you should be proud.i like the carpet,where did you get it?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 6:46pm
I have the same removable section there in the pylon...but it was not intentional, they guy that built it got short on the floor section!!!! then he had to add that panel!!! but never though about the advantage you now menction!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 6:35pm
Thanks all. I'm not sure when I can put it in the water Have a friend wedding this weekend - not at the lake. Hopefully early next week we'll be on the water.

The removable section around the pylon - not made yet - is to access the bolts that clamp the pylon into the motor mount. I've seen some rebuild with out but I think it makes it easier to check the bolts. It make it easier to put it all back together as well.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 6:05pm
I like the no border look!   Do you have another removeable panel at the pylon?   What was the purpose of putting one there?
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 6:03pm
Looks good Seth!

When is the water test scheduled?
83Ski
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 5:51pm
Thanks, wasn't sure how the carpet would turn out with out the boarder around the edge. It took some work to get it right but I think I like it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 5:34pm
Wow, looks great!
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 5:23pm

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 5:19pm
As promised here are the most recent photos.

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 2:38pm
Well it's been a couple of weeks but I now have the motor installed, .001 clearance on the coupling, all of the removable sections of floor cut and carpeted and all of the through hulls installed with 5200. Just some odds and ends and ready for the water finally .

While these aren't the most recent photos they show some of the progress.

Thanks to everyone for the help. More to come.

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 1:29am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I think pad would hold extra moisture, not a good idea.

Ya that's what I think too. I have no reason to think that the PO replaced the bunk carpet and it definitly had padding I decided to go with two layers of carpet, just on the top sides, and if they rot and fall off the trailer in two years I'll figure it out then.

Thanks Greg.

Engine is going in tomorrow
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 1:26am
I went with Home Depot, mainly because they had the color I wanted at the best price - and free shipping. I used two six x twenty foot rolls. Just enough without having to get to creative with my cuts.
cajunnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 1:31pm
Where did you order your indoor/outdoor carpet at? and what type, how many yards? I just got the stringers and floor redone on my '83 bf and I cant decide which carpet to use.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 4:54pm
Nice looking work sir!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 10:53am
I think pad would hold extra moisture, not a good idea.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2011 at 12:11am
ijust did the carpet on the bunks for my 86'.i am confident that it has never been touched and there was no padding under carpet.BTW boat looks awesome.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 4:22am
I'm getting ready to replace the bunks on the trailer. I noticed that the factory used pad under the carpet. Do most people replace that when they put new carpet on or forgo it?
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 4:13am
I finished the primer on the trailer and started to dry fit some carpet. Starting to come together

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 8:49pm
Those trailer pics take me back! Nice prop guard too. I ended up with more than a few bug in my layup since i was working outside under lights at night. At least you get the satisfaction knowing that they died a horrible death! You are getting there!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Looks good! I need to do a prop/rudder guard on mine too... did you extend the trailer rails at all? or just add the guard at the end? How much material did you use for the guard?

Thanks, I didn't extend the rails. Originally I though about it but then decided it was not needed. I bought a seven foot section of 2" channel and used most of it. So far I'm into the prop guard about 20 bucks, pretty cheep insurance
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

You should be able to weld a support from the new prop guard to the cross brace behind the axle. This will keep it from tearing away from the trailer. Might be a good idea to put some roller wheels on the guard as well.

I actually have a support cut and drilled, I just didn't put it on yet because everything was coming off to get painted.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 5:14pm
Looks good! I need to do a prop/rudder guard on mine too... did you extend the trailer rails at all? or just add the guard at the end? How much material did you use for the guard?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 5:01pm
looking good!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:42pm
Wow, everything is looking great!!!

I'd be worried about the indoor/outdoor carpet almost burning with the friction of the loading/unloading process. I'd just go with a simple black on the bunks and bow stop and call it a day.

You should be able to weld a support from the new prop guard to the cross brace behind the axle. This will keep it from tearing away from the trailer. Might be a good idea to put some roller wheels on the guard as well.

Edit- my bad, looked closer and saw you bolted on the prop guard. I'd just bolt on a support now!
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 5:23am
Is there any reason that I can't use some of my indoor/outdoor carpet for bunk carpet or is bunk carpet special somehow?
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 4:50am
So there I was waiting for my carpet to be shipped and what's that saying about idle hands and I was looking at my poor old tired trailer. How much time can it really take to strip the paint and repaint it Two days into it and I'm almost ready to start painting it. Besides how could I put my newly stringered boat back on a trailer in such poor shape.

Also fabed up a new prop guard, didn't have one before. Couldn't stand the exposed prop just waiting to be taken off curtesy of an uneven driveway somewhere.

Oh ya, if you still have those original tight fitting foam covers on your guide posts GET RID of them before they completely rot your posts.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by KFD14 KFD14 wrote:

Thanks Pete, any tips for getting spiders out of dried epoxy

Be glad you're not laying down varnish on a deck of a wood boat!! I'd just sand as you mentioned and the before you lay down the last coat, bug bomb the area!!

Remember it's the Henry's 263. Water PROOF in 2 hours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 4:37pm
Thanks Pete, any tips for getting spiders out of dried epoxy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 4:24pm
I don't think you'll find it at any of the home improvement centers. I got mine at a regular flooring store. You may get lucky doing an online search.

BTW, Looking great!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic