NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Nautique rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Nautique rebuild?
    Posted: June-04-2011 at 7:00am
Monty,Good luck with the shake down she looks great,like the I-pod/phone touch,who would of thought back in 79 we would have kit like this,I'm still trying to find a splash guard for my 8 track
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 2:40am
I finally got some time in on the boat. After lots of contemplation and some liquid courage I decided there was only one way I could make the radio fit with a splash guard. So I got the jig saw and cut a piece off the bottom of the existing hole and epoxied it to the top of the hole. That gave me enough room for the splash guard.

Also got front storage area/speaker board finished.

Rear seatbox/speakers and storage. I think I will use throw cushions on base for this year.

Last I worked on my timing and idle issue. I got distributor installed and worked on timing and idle.I couldn't get it to idle right. While looking at the linkage I realized that the throttle stop was rotating on the throttle shaft. Is there any way to fix this? I took it apart and squeezed it in the vise for a temporary fix Not much faith in it though.Hope to give it the lake test this weekend. Monty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:51am
That was an area i struggled with. My boat had what appeared to be two stringer jobs previously. I just kind of winged it for that area by the front motor mounts.I just built it up with wood cpes and epoxy.
Looking at Lakedog55 foam thread it appears to be just foam in that area. Monty

foam
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 12:25am
Thanks Monty-

Those pics were just what I was looking for. 1 Question:What is in between the primaries and secondaries? It looks like foam capped with plywood. What does it do?
Just because you can does not mean you should.
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 3:48pm
WOFTAM,

Got your email but I can't reply since you don't have one set up in your profile. Send me another one with your email address in the body of the message and I can work with getting you some pictures and information you asked about.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 1:37am
Originally posted by WOFTAM WOFTAM wrote:

Hey Monty-

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of the layout of the plywood in the boat. I am really leaning to the plywood instead of the glass, but do plan on re-foaming. I am specifically interested to see how you tabbed the ply in and how you did the port and starboard aft sides .

Thanks again. I started laying biax last night over the primaries and around the secondaries tonight.

Mike Glad to hear you are coming along on your stringers That biax can be trying to form on on the corners and rise and dips.
I used large cardboard (like appliance boxes) to make templates for the floor. They also work well to put down after you carpet to protect it while reinstalling your engine. Anyway after fitting floor pieces I glassed the pieces both sides with mat and wrapped the edges with tape. Epoxied down then double taped 2-2", 2-4" 1-6" on all seams and edges. One thing I also did is stopped the floor approx 6" from the transom in case I ever need to thou bolt the swim platform. Here are some pictures Hope this helps. Monty

Roger Thanks I hope to finish this stereo install and get that new dizzy in and finsi up the the shake down runs and get a picture or two.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 6:14pm
Great work Monty, good here your back on the water, post a picture of her on the water for us to enjoy   
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 1:06am
Hey Monty-

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of the layout of the plywood in the boat. I am really leaning to the plywood instead of the glass, but do plan on re-foaming. I am specifically interested to see how you tabbed the ply in and how you did the port and starboard aft sides .

Thanks again. I started laying biax last night over the primaries and around the secondaries tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 11:07pm
Mike I had never planned on going back with foam so glass over foam was never really in the picture for me. Well I did use foam for the air box and actually reglassed some of the original back down. I also foamed around the battery box but it has plywood floor. While replacing the stringers I had planned fol a plywood floor and tried to make it level across. What gaps I ended up having I used Biax cut to strips and epoxied to the tops of the stringer. Then used thickened epoxy along the stringers to bed the floor down. One thing I think Roger UK79 suggested was attach scraps to the bottom of the floor where the seat bases screw down.
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2011 at 10:44pm
Hi Monty-

I am deep into the re-stringing. All of the stringers are bedded and tabbed. I originally planned on a glass over foam floor but see that you went with wood. Was glass ever an option for your floor? Were there any gaps between the stringer tops and the bottom of the floor? If so, how large were they?

Man, I hope I can use this boat this summer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2011 at 12:02am
After a long cold winter I got the boat registered and headed for the lake. After purchasing a new set of trailer tires finally made it to the ramp. Was pleased with the way it ran but needed work at idling in gear.My plan was to get a idea of how she ran before I messed with trying to change the distributor. I had bought a new distributor on eBay but it had the wrong gear on it. Pulled old and took them to a machine shop to have my gear pressed on new dist. When he was tapping the roll pin back in the top of my gear cracked off.So I Bought the electronic one Jody had for sale.
Question 1. Will I need to change coil going to electronic ignition?
          2. I don't have a ballast resistor now. Will I need one?

Been working on putting a stereo in the boat Since the previous owner cut a hole in the dash. The old stereo that was in the boat was ruined by water. I don't want that to happen to the new one. I bought a splash proof cover for radio but the hole was cut so high in the dash it wont fit because of the q in the ski nautique emblem and also the dash has a angle right there. Any ideas????

I am making a bulkhead to fit on top of the airbox for front speaker and to help keep boating gear up front. I made a cardboard template and cut out of plywood. cpes and some epoxy and tape.I Will carpet it next.

Once again I want to thank everyone for all help and great ideas that come from this site. Monty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2010 at 12:44am
Still waiting on my new water hose from g2marine. So I put the old ones back on,put some gas in and hooked the garden hose up. The only way it would run was a little gas straight down her throat. Had gas to and in the carburetor but wouldn't run. Never been inside a Holley before but found a parts diagram and how to so I went for it. Inside was a lot cleaner than the outside and looked like new parts were inside. However the Metering body vent baffle was laying at the bottom of the bowl. I also noticed that the pump discharge nozzle was plugged when running a stripped bread tie wire through it. Put it back together and she fired up! Yeah!!!

Now I am trying to track down a dwell meter and timing light (never used one but seems easy enough) and set timing.
Does anybody know off the top of their head what dwell setting and timing setting for my 351?   Thanks, Monty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 9:32pm
Thanks, Pete
I'll go to Autozone and try and get some gasket material and silicone it down. HA HA HA

I thought thats what I may have to do when I couldn't find a match on any of the popular sites. Glad you told what thickness to look for. Monty
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 9:15pm
Monty,
It's probably easier to just go and buy some sheet gasket and cut it yourself. I had LOTS of experience with doing that on my Flexifour rebuild!! Keep it on the thin side - 1/64".

BTW, I'm impressed with your rebuild/stinger job!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 9:02pm
Thanks Guys!

Roger sure enjoyed the beers in the evenings at Green Lake.
Glad to hear your engine parts made it back in your luggage.
That might have been hard to claim if they lost your suitcase.

Does anybody have any ideas where I can get a gasket for this thermostat housing????     1979 commander 351

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 6:49pm
Great work Monty, your almost ready now
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 12:04pm
Yes on both questions! boat looks great,you have an eye for detail. nice job.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You should be able to find a better looking 1-1/4" to 1" adapter at home depot.

Thank Tim Lowe's .91 with my sons discount. Waiting on hoses.

I checked the impeller and its a good thing.
Luckily there was a new one in the box of parts that came with the boat.
I put some paint on the engine and set her back in.
It was a giant relief when I got it in and the couplers were lined nice and close.
I am currently injecting cpes in lag holes then 5200.
Then I will dial in the alignment.

My question of the day is.
Is there supposed to be a gasket for the thermostat housing?
It has three bolts holding it on and looked like it had rtv sealant on it before.
But it was loose when I got it. T-sat goes in spring side down is that right?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 11:41am
You should be able to find a better looking 1-1/4" to 1" adapter at home depot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2010 at 2:30am
Thanks, I wouldn't have known where to even start without this website and the fantastic people on it.

I just about have the boat ready for the engine. Still have to pack and place the shaft. I was cleaning up engine and ran across this on inlet hose. My plan is to wrap 1 1/4" hose around the bell housing (for future strainer) to the transmission cooler. From the transmission cooler 1 1/4" to raw water pump 1" lies my problem. Picture shows what P. O. did. What would be the right way for this?   Thanks, Monty

Bigdaddyriverrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddyriverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 7:05pm
Man you guys amaze me, I hope I can do one tenth of the job some of ya'll do.
Earl M
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 7:33pm
Monty,
They just lay in the bilge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 6:53pm
Thanks
Thats what I did after asking the question.

Should the steering cable be secured to the stringer or lay in the bilge?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

I need some help.

I am trying to hook up my new steering cable at the helm and can't remember if the cable attaches to the top connection and the plastic tube to the bottom or vice versa.

Put your "thinking cap" on!! Do you what it to pull or push on the rudder tiller arm when turning???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2010 at 4:57pm
I need some help.

I am trying to hook up my new steering cable at the helm and can't remember if the cable attaches to the top connection and the plastic tube to the bottom or vice versa.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:15pm
Looks Good I know you are excited.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 9:54am
Monty,your on the last leg of the rebuild,time to look out for another CC, I'm sure the the other half won't mind.
It was great to meet you both at GL

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 8:58am
Monty,
Look'n good

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:05am
Well after the trip to Green Lake and Pete's Excellent Alignment 101 class. I decided to tackle the strut alignment. The first picture shows where the shaft was in the bottom corner of the log to turn freely. I dropped the strut and shimmed with stainless steel washers. After dry fitting it the shaft was centered in the log so it got 5200 and tightened.

Here is my old log hose next to the new one.

Cleaned up the Rudder

And got it mounted with new gortex also ran new speedo tubing

Now I am getting ready to start on the carpet. I was thinking of doing the sides first then the floor. Any Suggestions? Monty
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

I may be in contention for the longest ever stringer job!!!
           Monty

I'm way ahead on that   

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic