Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Chris Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Chris Craft
    Posted: August-03-2012 at 10:49am

Finally going to put this one in the books as finished, there are a few minor issues I have to tweak yet but its in the boat lift and running well now. I have some rust int he fuel tank that will need addressed this fall and the fuel sender is rusted fast so the tank will come out again. The temp and amp gauges are not working yet so there is some wiring that i need to look at again but it looks pretty good and it floats. I am going to enjoy the rest of the season and then get back to work on my own project, the factory 5 cobra needs to get finished next...

Thanks for all the encouragement and support, this might very well be the toughest project I ever tackled...

Sean
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

Crooked lake is where we run. I finally got it finished out and running well after a good fuel tank cleaning and a bucket of crap out of the tank but all is well now. Longer report later but i missed the show saturday cleaning the fuel tank out, all is good now. A few more pics Ill throw in the link here as i dont have tine to direct post them this morning, vacation has lift a pile to do this morning to catch up. Good to have this pretty well wrapped up though!

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Bigblockbandit/Lake%20and%20boats/

for the convenience of all, here's a proper link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 11:05am
Crooked lake is where we run. I finally got it finished out and running well after a good fuel tank cleaning and a bucket of crap out of the tank but all is well now. Longer report later but i missed the show saturday cleaning the fuel tank out, all is good now. A few more pics Ill throw in the link here as i dont have tine to direct post them this morning, vacation has lift a pile to do this morning to catch up. Good to have this pretty well wrapped up though!

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/Bigblockbandit/Lake%20and%20boats/
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 2:42pm

Im not after judging praise and approval

If you ever have it at a show and do feel like it, I feel you should opt in on the judging. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 2:06pm
Sean, looks terrific, where do you boat?
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 1:44pm

Not quite 100% and its not perfect but not bad for a rookie. Last chapter to this story should be surrounded by water tonight or maybe tomorrow.

Maybe we will get to meet you saturday Steve.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:52am

14 hours and 2-3 helpers most of the day but its wired and most of the trim is on. Interior, check engine alignment tomorrow and water testing...

Im not after judging praise and approval, I just like hanging out with people that enjoy the boats, cars whatever. Im going to try and go for at least the morning half, maybe longer, we will see how the water tests go this weekend. i need to get to the lake, my week of vacation started at 5 tonight and I'm burning great drinking weather here in the shop again.
Boat Pics
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 9:42am
Sean, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, if I don't see you at the show!
If you don't take it, I understand. I'm not big on shows either.
Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 6:38pm

I'm not big on shows, most purists tend to dislike my modifications and feel the need to tell me exactly what I did to offend them.

Sean,
Just take all their comments in one ear and out the other.    I think it looks great. I don't think the Lake James show is a formally judged show by ACBS rules anyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 5:27pm
Maybe, 20th wedding anniversary is wed. that i'm shooting for, if it all comes together well we may take it over there for a while. I'm not big on shows, most purists tend to dislike my modifications and feel the need to tell me exactly what I did to offend them. Your welcome to stop by the the cottage and have a peek if you don't see it there.
Boat Pics
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 5:08pm
Sean,
Will this be in the Lake James Antique and Classic boat show?
Sorry if I missed that earlier in the post.
Looks FANTASTIC!

Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 2:24pm

Nothing gets finished without a deadline

Around here as long as I have a running boat nothing gets finished in the summer until it rains. I crawled out of a bilge around 1:30 last night.. the price of having fun while the sun shined!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 2:16pm
Nothing gets finished without a deadline, Chrome platers just called and have parts finished. I have friends running for parts today, helping evenings installing and adjusting we might make it... got to make a run up to the lake tonight and set the lift then back to the shop for another late one. Good thing I took next week off to go to the lake and spend the anniversary, and sleep.
Boat Pics
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 11:39am
Big project in the home stretch! That last push is always more work than you expect… but sleep is over rated and it will be worth it. Take your time on the important stuff but keep moving forward and victory will be yours. 4+ years in the works take the time to enjoy it
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 11:09am
never built a trailer queen, probably wont start now... It does get a pretty fancy house for the summer though, probably should have build a door in the front of the enclosed lift so i could sit on the deck and look at it to.
Boat Pics
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 1:11am
& you are going to get that thing wet??

What a beauty!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:59am

Starting to look like a boat again, found my wiring diagrams so i should finish that up tomorrow. Hope the plater come through this week, still missing pieces to finish out the trim.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:08am

7 days left to finish, better make some progress this week. should have it wired and the windshield back together and installed today with a little luck. moved it into the air conditioned shop last night to finish it.
Boat Pics
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 12:32pm
Wow, nice

That does indeed look like a paragon not borg
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 12:20pm
If I had it to do over again, and i may some day, i would finish all the varnish work then caulk the seams instead of doing it so early. I really liked the way it looked back then and there would not be varnish over the seams that needed painting. That's what i get of reading the book instead of following my gut sometimes. I just get the feeling this one will bite me. I put enough varnish on to smooth the seams over and the stripe paint will have to be on top, i did not leave enough depth on the stripes to fill int he paint and sand over. its going to have to be a mask and stripe much like the top picture when i put the caulk in. I just hope the caulk does not lift the varnish as it moves around. I can already see some movment of the wood here and there, kind of disappointing, im used to cars and it takes longer to start to shrink and such. Wood is not my favorite medium to work in.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 11:06am
Sean,
I can't remember if I've mentioned the method I use or not. The sharper the seam edges are the better it works. Just before the last coat of varnis, I just slop the paint into the seams. Then a wet sand across the top removes the excess paint. The final coat of varnish will hardly add any yellow tint to the white seams.

On any true seam, you will always get some movement due to the moisture content change in the wood. The false seams should be fine. I can walk up to any boat that has any time on the deck job and tell which seams are false and which ones are true!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 10:46am
I bought striper tape as well, i am going to lay out the stripes again and paint between the lines to get the stripes white again, all that varnish just made them too yellow for me. I am also having a little trouble with the caulk under the varnish expanding int he sun. I set it outside for a while and some of the caulk lines lifted a bit. I hope that does not happen much, it could start to lift the varnish and then i would be very unhappy.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

If you do decide to paint the stripes after varnish the Beugler pinstripe tools are all over ebay.

A little pricey for a one time use though, may be a knock off out there cheaper.

Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 11:45pm
Yes it is the wife's, and she was very excited to hear the engine roar to life today. She was there when I shot that video for her and her dad. Boat looks pretty good too. I need to paint the stripes yet and start hanging hardware and interior. Sure sounds nice, even on the video.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 11:10pm
Sean,
It won't be long now! Do I remember correctly that this was your wife's boat?? Ether way, how does she like it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 10:30pm
This has been sitting around done since the project started. I rebuilt the motor right off the bat then got bogged down in the wood work. it was nice to drag it out and start the break in today before i drop it in the boat. Its a video clip of it running, dont know where the little arrow went but if you click on it it does take you to the video.

Once i get it dialed in here it gets dropped in and we start the race to the finish line, 20th anniversary is coming up the end of july and i need it done by then. Finally finished the all the coats of varnish and block sanding, now its time to assemble this thing... finally
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 12:19pm

next project, not a restoration! 57 lyman outboard about to become a bar...
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 10:51am
It is a velvet drive, has not been run in about 15 years. I probably should freshen it up while i have it out and in the shop. I rebuilt a couple v drives for Dads wellcraft but i have never opened up velvet to see how they work.

We used to sell sailboats 20+ years ago and had one with a bad trans problem, probably a cooler. It burnt up 3 times on the trip from FLA to texas, got to where i could pull it under sail with a rig made from a pallet and a handful of kmart tools. got it to the marina late the first night and walked to town for tools so i could have it laying on the dock when the guys got in the next morning. from there on we would take it out under sail slide into a marina and throw it up on the dock as we were tying off. Had a lot of interesting trips moving boats around the great lakes and around the eastern 1/2 of the country at 16.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 10:35am
Eric,
Considering the year, I'd have to say it's a Velvet. Chris pretty much went away from the manuals when they went to the V-8's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 10:22am
stang i hear you on the critiqes, its up to you on the trans, it has been sitting for a while. is it a Paragon or a borg,
im more of the update it type myself, i hate lifting the lid to fiddle with ***************...more of a turn key guy
"the things you own will start to own you"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 7:39pm
I'd love to see what you end up doing with it. I've got a lead on an industrial vinyl sewing machine from a family member. If that happens, a couple sides for my lift would be a pretty straightforward project this spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
  Share Topic