NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 11:56pm
Time to get back to work on the 67. I apologize that I haven't done very well at documenting each step, but I have been making progress.

The first step this winter was to finish getting the floor installed. I debated the different options with the floor, but ultimately decided to permanently install the floor and glass the floor to the hull sides. The lateral supports and the floor have a minimum 1/8" gap between the side of the hull.

I bedded the lateral supports with thickened epoxy.

The floor (5/8" ply) was test fit with the engine/trans installed, then pre-drilled for countersunk screws. All floor panels were soaked in CPES and have a layer of 4oz cloth on the bottom. I installed the floor using biax on the stringers and lateral supports. I screwed the panels down until the epoxy cured overnight, then removed the screws and back-filled the holes with epoxy.

The floor was then glassed to the hull sides using 2" tape, 4" tape, then a layer of cloth from the primary stringer to 3-4" up the hull sides.

Here you can see the gap between the floor and hull under the 2" tape.

Laying out the cloth.

All glassed down. I have been fairing the bilge as well in-between glassing the floor.

I was happy with the result of the floor. It isn't as flat as a pool table but I think it looks good and it's super solid.

After the floor was down I moved on to the part of the project I have been dreading. This hull has a ton of cracks in the gel, and I was never going to be happy with just wetsanding/buffing. So I decided to re-gel the whole hull. I have never done anything like this before so I don't know what to expect, but regardless, I have started grinding off all the old gel so I'm on my way.

I separated this portion of the garage with plastic and got to work on grinding. I started with a DA and 24 grit and got nowhere. Then I tried an inline with 36 grit and also got nowhere fast. This gel is hard, and it's thick. I used my angle grinder with a 60 grit flap disk but this was too hard to control and be smooth and I ended up gouging a few spots so I quit with that. Ultimately I ended up using a sanding disk adapter for my 4-1/2" angle grinder with 36 grit. I'm pretty happy with this method as it's a good balance of speed/control. To anyone contemplating doing this to a boat, this is a nasty job that is going to take quite a while. I'm wearing a Tyvek suit, respirator and lab goggles but the amount of dust is incredible.

So far I ground the transom, 90% of the top deck, and about 1/3 of the port side. I hope to be finished with the hull sides by this weekend. I will then flip the hull and start on the bottom. Anyone have any tricks on sanding the gel from the tight inside corners around the raised lip on the bow?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 5:21pm
Love seeing the progress you are making, Craig!!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 9:51pm
No more than 5500 and yes a propshaft upgrade is going to have to be done.Maybe not for this season but definitely been thinking about it.Picked up World tall deck block 4.6 bore and 4.25 crank that makes 565 was thinking 598 but that roller cam I have been saving just won't support that many cubes.I sold the Edelbrock heads now thinking Brodix BB-2's have to find that happy medium between velocity and volume
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 9:36pm
The old peanut port heads tend to hit there rpm limits around 4800 rpm in stock form and then power will start to fall off after that, with a bit of pocket porting and port matching you can probably push that up to 5000 RPM without to much work. The engine will be a 30 over 454 with a melling 22220 224/224 duration .500/.500" lift (with 1.6:1 ratio rockers), +22 cc dome full floating pistons(about 9.7:1SCR, 8.4DCR), the stock 119cc 2360 peanut port heads (reworked slightly), heavy H beam 6.125" rods, RPM air Gap intake, Holley 780 carb. Should be good for 420 to 440HP around 4600 to 4800 RPM, 525 ft lbs of torque around 3800-3900 RPM.

Would like to keep my max RPMs around 5K, + or - a couple of hundred. The 224/224 cam will start running out of breath at 5200RPM so that's probably where I will want it to run. I have no intentions of changing shaft diameters, props will be open for discussion after the boat finally gets in the water and I see whats up with it. Should look very similar to this dyno chart.

We can move engine build discussions somewhere else.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Think keeping small port ovals would be a big Boo-Boo.I am a major torque junkie but the engine will have to breath a little better to get into rpm range you need for all around performance.I am planning a lot of prop for mine but 565ci,10.4 comp,with a lot more cam think it can handle it.

I dont recall the details of your engine build, but the sheer number of cubic inches you'll have on tap would make me think you might approaching prop limitations if youre staying with a 1" shaft and trying to keep the revs down... or are you going to 1-1/8"? Our BFN will pull some props made for 1.23 boats (15+" pitch) north of 5500... How fast you planning to spin yours?

Sorry Craig, Im afraid we've gone off on a tangent here!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 3:48pm
Think keeping small port ovals would be a big Boo-Boo.I am a major torque junkie but the engine will have to breath a little better to get into rpm range you need for all around performance.I am planning a lot of prop for mine but 565ci,10.4 comp,with a lot more cam think it can handle it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 1:45pm
Mark, yes, the part I disagree about is how a ski boat will respond to hp/torque and where those peaks best benefit performance... most people think that low end torque is what gets these tractors moving quickest but I have not seen that to be true. Im not seeing those hp numbers out of the mods youve described, but Ive only built one BBC so Im hardly the authority. If it runs into the mid 50's like the 425hp HO 454's of the mid 80's then that'll prove me wrong! To get it moving that fast at such a low RPM will require a pretty huge prop... such a wheel may not exist for a 1" shaft. It should be faster than stock though, and that should have you in the 50mph range anyways. Thats definitely faster than I care to fall, but I can think of a few uses for extra power- pulling a huge line of footers or barefoot racing come to mind.

mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 9:12pm
Yep, advancing the cam will increase DCR, retarding it would reduce it. You can't advance that cam to far because the exhaust valve starts to open right around 3deg ATDC. There shouldn't be anything contrary about building the engine, how it responds in a ski boat maybe, but it will be at least slightly better than stock. If I get it together correctly it should come in right around 420HP and do it below 4600 RPM, but I'm not letting anyone drag me around behind it above about 42 or 43 anyways, so as long as it will make it to the top of the speedometer that will be good enough for me. Water gets really hard above 50 when you fall.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 8:36pm
I agree that static CR doesnt tell the whole story... but since we know that exact cam does just fine on pump gas in a 340 with a static CR approaching 11:1, cant we say with pretty good certainty that he'll be safe with a static CR of 10.1:1? The only additional variable would be if he were to install it off center, right? Otherwise Im missing something.

It'll be interesting to see how your boat runs. A few of your assumptions are contrary to what we've found to be true when building a fast ski boat. I think that cam is a bit warmer than you think- did you measure your stocker? 50-51mph may not be out of the question. Clearly these tractors dont have the same speed potential as a purpose built outboard, but the BFN's in particular seem to respond pretty well to power... well, at least they dont behave too badly when pushed well beyond their factory ability. 92 may be out of the question, but I dont think 70 is.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 7:51pm
He may be perfectly fine depending on the rest of the hardware, its just worth checking, as SCR is really nothing more than a bragging point for an engine it has very little to do with how it runs, or what it runs on for gas. Doesn't everyone run an 11:1 compression engine with a 3/4 race cam and a 780 Holley Double pumper? Theres nothing worse than an engine that pings running gas that you can buy at the local gas station, or having to back the timing way down and rob some power from the engine.

Nope, my engine will be keeping the small ovals, which are actually better on a mildly warmed over engine with a relatively small cam than the large port ovals, or the 074 rectangular port heads, because it keeps the intake port velocity up which is good for torque production. Torque gets you to speed, HP keeps you there, having a billion HP produced at 6000RPM does you no good if your engine doesnt run there, and you don't have the torque to get there. The heads will get port matched to a set of large oval head gaskets, but that match is really nothing more than a filet into the first 1/2" of the intake port as oppossed to a full blown porting job all the way to the bowl. They will get a new set of undercut valves, and new springs but other than that they will remain stock. I will be running the melling 22220 Cam that came in the mercruiser 502 magnum engines which is just slightly longer duration (14 degrees more) and higher lift (.510) than the stock 330HP marine engine cams. An Air Gap RPM will be bolted to the heads, and the Holley 780 thats on the engine now will just get rebuilt, and a couple of turndowns added to the air horns (its not a marine carb now).

I think the original BBC were even lower compression than that oout of the box, like 7.8 to 8:1 or there abouts they are horrible. And 53 mph is way down from my Hydrostreams 92. But I'm not going to push one of these barges there without a gas turbine, and probably wings.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Don't rely on just your static compression ratios when trying to figure out if the engine will run on pump gas or not. You will also need to figure the Dynamic compression ratio as well, especially with the smaller duration cams that these marine engines run. Theres not much valve overlap to bleed off excessive compression in these cams. As I was working thru my big block for the BFN, I started with +30cc domes on the pistons I wanted, which calced out at just about 10.4 to 1 static compression with all the other parts going into the engine. But when I ran the DCR on the parts the compression came in at about 9.25:1. You need to keep the DCR between 7.5 and 8.5:1 if you want to run pump gas without detonation. As a result I was forced to go with 22cc domes with a 9.4:1 static and an 8.3 dynamic, and my cam has 15 degrees more duration than yours does. The most critical spec is where the intake valve closes on the compression stroke, the closer to BDC the higher the DCR will be, so each cam will bring a unique number to the design. Mine is 47deg ABDC as a reference, yours is around 43deg ABC. You can't directly compare a BBc to a SBF but you can calc yours out yourself at the link below.

http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

I might have been able to keep the +30cc domes with the cooler running engine but it would be right on the edge so for once in my life I'm going a little conservative on the compression ratio in an engine build. It will be at least 2 full points higher than the stock compression on the 454 was, so it should be a lot better without giving me to many hassles with detonation, or idle quality.

All good info, Mark, but lets not scare the guy. This is basically the only warmed up RH Chrysler small block cam that has been available for the last few years (its now NLA like the rest) so Reid has some good history with it... and I think some of the builds it was used on were approaching 11:1. Craig wont be breaking any new ground, it doesnt sound like.

Not that its here or there, but the stock (static) CR should have been in the low to mid 8's on that 454... Im sure its listed in the manual in the reference section. Did you swap out the heads for larger ovals? Warm up the cam? Buffalo did both with his '88 and had a CR similar to yours in the mid 9's and it runs real strong, ~53 IIRC.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 6:46pm
Yep, thats either timing or fuel leaning out. My distributor in my 69 Camaro lost the stop bushing on the mechanical advance of the distributor, and under part throttle the engine pings like a can full of stones. Timing was probably advanced at least 56 to 58 degrees BTDC. I had to get a new bushing and massage the advance slot a bit, but all is well now.

While SCR will change slightly based on engine RPM, throttle position, etc. DCR does not change once the engine is built, it's purely a function of when different actions occur in the compression stroke.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 6:11pm
I left the dished pistons in my Ford back in the day because I wanted to run it like I stole it on the cheapest pump 87 I could find. I never dabbled much in the dynamic side of things outside of knowing advancing cam timing tends to build more cylinder pressure. Good for low revving torque producing engines. I have never installed a cam at anything besides a degree verified straight up.

My 67 really detonates on pump gas and higher temps. This phenomenon only happens at or above the 4k rpm mark. Distributor has stock curve and I have only verified timing to 3500 rpms. I assume it is over advancing above 4k rpms.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 6:02pm
Don't rely on just your static compression ratios when trying to figure out if the engine will run on pump gas or not. You will also need to figure the Dynamic compression ratio as well, especially with the smaller duration cams that these marine engines run. Theres not much valve overlap to bleed off excessive compression in these cams. As I was working thru my big block for the BFN, I started with +30cc domes on the pistons I wanted, which calced out at just about 10.4 to 1 static compression with all the other parts going into the engine. But when I ran the DCR on the parts the compression came in at about 9.25:1. You need to keep the DCR between 7.5 and 8.5:1 if you want to run pump gas without detonation. As a result I was forced to go with 22cc domes with a 9.4:1 static and an 8.3 dynamic, and my cam has 15 degrees more duration than yours does. The most critical spec is where the intake valve closes on the compression stroke, the closer to BDC the higher the DCR will be, so each cam will bring a unique number to the design. Mine is 47deg ABDC as a reference, yours is around 43deg ABC. You can't directly compare a BBc to a SBF but you can calc yours out yourself at the link below.

http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

I might have been able to keep the +30cc domes with the cooler running engine but it would be right on the edge so for once in my life I'm going a little conservative on the compression ratio in an engine build. It will be at least 2 full points higher than the stock compression on the 454 was, so it should be a lot better without giving me to many hassles with detonation, or idle quality.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 12:16pm
You're right on the money Alan. I soaked that first board for 24 hrs and then steamed it for 50 minutes (it was 3/4" thick) and it did pretty good, but did show some signs of minor cracking so I think it needs more time to absorb the moisture. I wasn't too concerned, it's just going to be burried under the floor for nobody to see, but I will definitely let the spray rails soak longer. I always envisioned pulling a board out of the steamer and it being soaking wet, but it's pretty dried out.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 11:43am
Craig, soak that white oak for a couple of weeks before steaming it. Kiln dried white oak is very difficult to bend but the radius your trying to achieve it will probably be fine. I would bet you'll need to leave it in the steam box for an hour+ but it needs to be soaked well or the steam will actually dry it out and it will crack when bending.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 11:14am
Guess I'm getting a little ahead of you!! haha.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

What ignition set up are you planning on for that engine?

Something that makes a spark! Ha, I honestly haven't thought that far ahead Zach.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 10:48am
Tim,

Maybe the piece of white oak I have is a little dry, but it wasn't going to bend to the hull without steaming. I could get the backer to bend but it was approx. 3/8" thinner and was a lot more flexible. The steam bending process is pretty simple, cheap, and effective, so I'll just bend them as close as possible and get this backer mounted. I just need to get it in there to proceed with the rest of the floor.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 10:24am
I agree Tim. The cam is a little weak to achieve that number. Sucks we're all so limited on the RR cam selections these days. Those heads really respond when valve lift reaches the .480-.500 range.

Nice job on the calculated compression! What ignition set up are you planning on for that engine?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 9:33am
Craig, I havent attempted to attach the spray rails to my 1st gen yet, but the thought of pre-bending them never crossed my mind. The bend is gradual enough that Im sure a straight piece of lumber would install without a problem. Of course, a little bit of steam bending ahead of time probably cant hurt!

On the backer, I had tossed around a few different ideas but still havent come up with one Im crazy about yet... though most of that stems from wanting to use composites instead of wood (which generally dont hold screws as well). A full length backer would give you complete flexibility on where to put the screws, but if thats not a concern (like say you know you want to use 8" spacing) then you could always piecemeal the backer(s) instead of trying to bend a single one. I think I would be hesitant to bed the backer in if youre using wood... its certainly not necessary from a structural perspective. CPES for sure, and then a minimal amount of glass to keep it in place is probably what I'd recommend.

Just over 10:1... beautiful!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 10:06pm
Alan,
Yes I was going to be making the rails out of 1 piece of lumber. I don't know if this is going to be a big mistake or not. I'm sure it's going to be tough to get the bend to match the hull even remotely as close as what your lamination did, but I'm hoping that it will bend slightly and comply to the hull when it comes time to fasten it. I have clamp envy by the way, quickly finding out I don't have enough.

Tim/Zach,
Haven't CC'd the heads yet still (too damn cold this week), but they're supposed to be 63cc. With everything else and a .032 head gasket, that would put me at 10.16:1

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 4:23pm
Zach, the specs on that cam are the same as the stock 340 (auto) grind:

Duration @ .50 lift: 209/220
Duration @ .06/Rocker Ratio lift: 279/289
Gross Valve Lift: .429/.444

All Chryslers got 3" exhaust. Im not sure that 350hp is in the cards, but 320-330hp like Marshall's 340 might be- though he was closer to 10.5 or 11:1, IIRC. That boat was a hoot.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 4:13pm
I am late to the party. You have a very good setup for induction on that bad boy. Should be a runner and I would lean more towards the 350 mark for power. Pending cam selection and exhaust manifold capabilities. Going to run 3" exhaust? Those J's with the larger intake valves make some very respectable power from stock pieces.

I agree with Tim in that a higher CR wouldn't be bad. With the cooler engine water temps in a marine engine and cooler underhood temps you can get away with a lot more on pump gas. My car gets pissed off if the outside temps are over about 75. It is in the 10.5 neighborhood. Never actually calculated it.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 3:17pm
Craig are you using one piece of lumber for the spray rails? Your garment steamer will work fine, that's what I used on the Hurricane for all my bending.

I made my spray rails a little differently though and didn't need to steam them at all. Used 1/4" thick strips laid up on the hull for shape and then epoxied them together. You could do the same using a piece of wax paper between the hull and your spray rail stock so you can remove them for shaping. Then cpes, paint and mount permanently.

Obviously I had it easier than you because I could just clamp to the chine but I would think you could use the install fasteners to hold it in place temporarily while laying it up.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 2:09pm
I don't have any pictures, but I've setup my steam bending jig and steam box. I'm using a cheap garmet steamer for the steam, 2" PVC wrapped in insulation for the steam box. I drilled holes into the PVC and put wooden dowels in it to keep the wood supported so the steam could surround the board. The little garmet steamer did great. Plenty of steam and last at least 45 minutes on 1 tank. I have only bent one board (inside backer) just to see how much spring back to expect and will adjust my jig accordingly.

Any suggestions how to prep and fasten the backer? I had planned on coating them with CPES, situating it in place with a little epoxy bedding, then pre-drill and screwing it from the outside to hold it in place, then glassing over it. Once cured, remove the screws and fill holes with epoxy. Is it recommended to use a layer of cloth or anything when you bed? Or is epoxy with fillers OK?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 10:56am
9.5:1 will be fine on pump gas... thats actually a little conservative, if anything. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot for 10 to 10.5:1.

I think youre seeing things... its pretty tough to tell the exact width of the driver's seat in that pic as the driver is obscuring the starboard side. The seats are identical in all of the boats that I have encountered with that style of bucket. Here's a pic Pauly Banana posted of his '68 that he purchased new. Im planning to put identical buckets like this in my '67SN.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 10:21am
Yes the shortblock is being built from scratch. The block has been bored .030 over, line honed, and decked. With the new deck height and head chamber CC that was wrote on the shop work order, the shop spec'd Ross 99625 pistons that would put the CR at or slightly north of 9.5/1. I want to CC the heads to verify this though. I think this is still accectable for pump gas?

Maybe I'm seeing things, but in that photo the driver seat actually looks to be bigger?    Could it be possible that I've just assumed the wider seat is the observer seat when actually it is the drivers? Or are you that sure that they should be the exact same?

If they are the same, then I'll be going that route as I don't want to have to work around the instruments.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 8:35am
The Performer RPM is a totally different animal- thats a great choice. So are the J-heads. Whats the story with the short block- will you be rebuilding it from scratch? Piston choice will be key to get your CR where you want it... the J's have pretty big chambers.

Like I said, the original observer bucket would have been identical to the driver's seat (no wider). I'm sure a previous owner had widened yours. It shouldnt have blocked the gauges originally I dont think, but it would have done so rather than having a notch. The observer seat shown in the '70-71 above is also non-original, I believe it would have had the same fiberglass bucket as the driver's. Never seen a notch like that on a factory seat.

From the '68 brochure:

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 10:44pm
I duplicated the observer seat that was with this boat, whether it was original or not I'm not sure, but it was constructed the exact same as the other seats so I would guess it was. It was 3" wider that the driver seat, and unless they covered up some of the dash instruments this seat faced forwards. I'm modifying it to face backwards, with a small notch out of it similar to this.

The intake is actually the Performer RPM, not just the Performer. Not sure if that carriers the same poor reputation. I believe Mike got this intake from Reid originally along with the no longer available Clevite cam which I also now have. The heads that will be going on are J heads, with 2.02/1.60 valves. Not real sure what a realistic goal is for the 340, but for conversation's sake I'd say I'm shooting for a 325-350 target HP. This is my first engine build, so similar to the boat project, I'm all ears!

I plan on getting the boat back together and throwing the 318 in it until the 340 project is finished. I don't plan to focus a whole lot on that engine until I have a floating boat. I just fired the 318 up this last weekend. I little gas down the carb and it fired right up. I don't think it'd been cranked since 2009.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
  Share Topic