Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what spark plug for protec motor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what spark plug for protec motor
    Posted: July-18-2007 at 3:30pm
What spark plug do I put in the 351 ProTec motor. I know it says in the manual, but I can't but those anymore so the store says.

I bought Autolite 24's but they don't fit in the head. Won't thread in. I bought a set from skidim an I think they were autolite 762 or something like that.

I am trying to troubleshoot many problems and this is a cheap thing to replace.

Also, I still have the original plug wires that came on the boat. I just ohm tested all of them and they range anywhere from 11-15 ohms. What is the specific rating of ohm's per foot of wire resistance????

I think these are good wires still and am going to swap out the PCM wires that are currently on it and put the originals back on just to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for all your help!

Todd
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 3:46pm
Autolite 764's are the right plugs for the GT40 and GT40p heads (they supercede the 763's specified in the manual). Check the manual for the proper gap with the Protec.

If the boat's only had 2 sets of wires in its 14 years, you may want to consider a new set just to be sure theyre all good.

Did you already bump up the idle a bit?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 2:55am
Tim, I got new 764's today. Thanks for the reply on those. I will get them gapped correctly at .045. I am going to check the existing plug wires tomorrow. I replaced them at 850-900 hours. Probably a bit too long, but that's what I did. I leave for Minnesota on Friday so new plug wires aren't much of an option unless I can run automotive wires with dielectric grease in the boots. I am not opposed to that if it is ok.

Got my new carb today.....but as usaual it is the wrong damn carb!!! Nothing can go right with this floating turd. Hopefully I can get the new carb by friday. Leave Sat morning at 3a.m.

Thanks again for all your help Tim. Yes, I did bump the idle at GL. I just gave it a big turn before we got it in the lake. It is probably a bit high, but will deal with it till we get on the water.

Later.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 3:02am
usually auto wires are too short and don't go over or under teh exhaust manifolds very well but they will work if they reach.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 11:18am
Thanks for the info on the wires. I may go to town and get the biggest (8.5) or more and see if I can get them to fit around the manifolds. Man, I basically have tomorrow to get the boat ready and I don't even have a carburetor!

Isn't vacation relaxing. Geeze!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic