NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member to the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member to the family
    Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:01am
The boys at the BBC have adopted a 29 yr old, 1700lb bouncing baby girl, and while regretfully not a CC, she's keeping with our non-CC competitive tolerances. Myself, Nautique John, and fellow SN owner Matt partnered on this 1978 Jersey Speed Skiff. We just got it back here last Sunday so we've only managed 3 days of riding but boy is it fun so far. This boat was/is an bonafide race boat and therefore doesn't have a trans, an alternator, or even a bilge pump, yet. So you have to paddle it back up to the dock and sometimes away from it. It's got a very healthy cammed-up 283 Chevy (yeah, that part's killing me, but it's vintage correct)and supposedly runs mid 70's. I've had it 70.0 so far which came at around 6000rpm. The video is Matt behind the wheel on a pass up to about 65. The voice is mine but sounds strange for some reason. Then there are two clips of Marshall and I cutting it up in the Mustangs. We've still got a good month of cruising before we have to put them away.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:37am
Fun looking ride Reid. Since you said my chevy would be in the shop all the time, you want me to check with my mechanic & see if he has room for yours too?
Greg

86 BFN
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:39am
Reid,

Do you have to nail your shoes to the floor to stay in that in thing?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:41am
Reid,
That skiff looks like a riot and sounds even better!

btw, welcome to the little boys "Bowtie Club" !!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 11:45am
Reid, looks great. I want one of those. Don't feel too bad about that 283, it's one of the best engines ever made. Your neighbors are going to love you. Good luck with her. Be careful!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 12:10pm
Reid, I wanted to say some smart a#@ comment like "you traitor" but luckilly I do know that you do have that quest for speed. The Speed Skiff will give you that fix while you're working on the CC's go fasts!

We don't get to see many of them in the midwest so I'm not really informed on them. The couple I have gotten rides in were shorter. Is this one a longer version so they could get the 283 in it?

Congrats on getting it and I know you will have tons of fun with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 6:29pm
70 must be a fun ride. Now you just need a CC that will do it

Which boat is which in the last video? Neither seem to bounce real bad in the calmer water. That was a scary ride in the rough conditions at GL.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 6:42pm
Skipuss, I'm gonna be really gentle on my Chevy so it'll probably hold together. Plus, I hate to admit it, but sitting on the trailer with the hose hooked to it, while I know I've heard louder, I don't know if I've ever heard a better sounding engine of any make. And as all of us on this site know, an inboard ALWAYS sounds better than an I/O. Unfortunately tho, it's cammed to the point where it doesn't want to idle below about a grand. But maybe we can work on that.

Chuck, it's really easy to stay in the boat, mainly since sitting at the very back you don't feel the extreme jumping as much. But there's an "oh-shi*" handle which you do need to grasp.

Pete, this thing is very short at 16'. I believe the video somehow might make it look longer. Over about the last 40-50 years they've been predominantly powered by 283's with newer "river boats" being powered with milder 350s and the like. They build them today as either lighter race boats, or the heavier river boats for enthusiasts who just want to cruise fast.

EDIT: Tim, I'm closest to the dock. And in the Mustangs with just the driver on board the bounce is still minimal. But yes, as suggested, I will use the Skiff as a study in comparison in the forward velocity development of the vintage CC.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 7:18pm
I knew there was a Chevy guy in there just dying to get out!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

puss, I'm gonna be really gentle on my hold. maybe we can work on that.

Chuck, it's really easy in the back. you feel the handle which you do need to grasp.

Pete, this thing is very short. I believe the video somehow might make it look longer. Over about the last 40-50 years they've been predominantly either lighter, or heavier for enthusiasts of the vintage.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 8:39pm
you can really spin those 283's, without worrying about scattering, they love RPM's, Im just glad to see Chevy in your vocabulary and your boat, i know deep down that your a closet chevy fan.....watch it, its easy to jump sides
"the things you own will start to own you"
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 9:17pm
Very cool Reid. I've always wanted a highly anti-social speedster like a cracker box. The skiff seems pretty similar.

How about some still photos so we can see the details?
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2007 at 10:11pm
Reid I can not believe you came out of the closet. After the crap you gave me and the BFN at GL... Atleast I got a big bow tie.. Just giving you some crap. That looks like a wild ride, have fun with it.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:36am
Reid, you sure drive/accelerate alot straighter than that other guy.
Tim D
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:47am
Reid,
I watched and LISTENED to that video again...man that thing sings! Like Eric says...those 283/302s love the "R"s !

Do you know any of the specs on the 283? Has it been punched out? ....What heads are on it? ...Solid /hydraulic cam?....etc?

We used to use the 283 blocks to build 292s and 301s. Slap a set of 2.02 heads on her and stuff it in a 57 Chevy or a duece... didnt get much better than that! They would run well into the 7 grand range...aahhh, the good ol days...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 12:55am
Reid, I loved those vids. It's cool to see the boats AND hear them! Thanks for taking the time put them up here.
It's a shame how quiet my boat sounds compared to those...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 1:08am
Reid, I've said before I really like those skiffs.

So, how fast have you had it in a turn? When those boats role up on their sides is when it really gets interesting (at least from a spectators perspective).

Isn't it somehting when you fire up the motor and prop starts screeming immediately.

Be careful. Get yourself a good racing vest and a helmet.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:13am
Here are some still shots. I have no specs on the cam, heads, or any other part(s). I do know however that the Edelbrock intake is a single plane(we temporarily installed the puny flame arrestor; it came with a velocity stack which wouldn't stay on), the heads have been ported, at least on the exh side as we had to replace gaskets and they needed significant enlarging. I'll try to get some casting nos. With no tranny you indeed start up almost planing, and not knowing this set-up well enough I would still expect it to idle down a little better. Brian asked about putting the boat into hard turns, well with the rounded chine she rolls right up on her like you'd expect, no flat turns like a CC, not yet with me anyhow. I'm respectfully learning the ropes here as it's totally new ground. But on the straights at higher speeds when the entire hull lifts repetitively out of the water it is indeed a huge rush.

Hollywood, good translation as usual.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 2:27am
omigosh...I thought the Donzi was cool...can I get my request in to drive that bomb on my next visit? (provided I am invited again)

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:11am
Nothing like a Jersey Skiff from New Jersey?

That thing looks pretty crazy, great videos, particularly the part where Marshall almost sideswipes you on the holeshot, good stuff!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 3:19am
Don't you think that water looks WAY shallower than when we were there?

What a cool time that was. So glad you guys made it down there the same time as me and mrs jbear.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 10:29am
you cant help but to stare
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 7:58pm
That boat is mint for a '78. Is it all fiberglass? Who made the hull? It looks nicer than most of the ones on speedskiffs.com.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:14pm
Congratulations Reid, I know a JSS was on your wish list. I'll definitely be over next summer. I had a bit of a rush this weekend riding in this bad boy (65 Stevens). Not super fast but a wild ride. Don't know the guy. Just pulled up alongside because I liked the boat. (they liked mine too)

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 8:53pm
Damn Reid,

Nice Video's!! Where in the hell do you find those kick ass toy's......I think you need to go to rehab for overdosing on Boats......Naaaaaa keep on collecting.....Those who die with the most toy's wins.....so far I'd say your in first place just don't die. ok....
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 9:00pm
Lary: Very sweet pic...yours is still the best tho I like the other one too.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2007 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That boat is mint for a '78. Is it all fiberglass? Who made the hull? It looks nicer than most of the ones on speedskiffs.com.

Bruce, the hull is a Moore Craft, and somewhat similar to most of the rest with slight variances in the deck. The hull is all glass with glass covered plywood bulkheads. There is plywd also in the flat hull bottom under glass as well. From what we could tell, all of the wood is fine.    

Larry, a flat bottom like that Stevens was actually an earlier desire of mine until I road in a skiff, and I still like the those but they're now way out of focus. BKH and the CA boys probably see them all the time. Does that thing have a vintage 392 Hemi?

Paul, I could probably sell my boats and ownerships in others and still not have the cash to buy a new one. Heck, quinner's got more in his stereo than I have in the normal engine. I just love old boats.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 1:57am
Nice skiff Reid.There were 3 up here about 10 yrs ago,all had Chevy's in them.They must have been recreational ones, trans and lighting,but they haven't been around for a long time.The video dosen't do it justice tho,I'll bet it looks faster in real life.
Maybe next summer we can get all the blue Mustangs together for a video!
Is that motor left hand rotation?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 2:13am
Cool boat Reid . Maybe some day Wendy and I will be able to go down and take a look. Unless we see it at GL first . I dont know as if barney would be able to catch you in that .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Nice skiff Reid.There were 3 up here about 10 yrs ago,all had Chevy's in them.They must have been recreational ones, trans and lighting,but they haven't been around for a long time.The video dosen't do it justice tho,I'll bet it looks faster in real life.
Maybe next summer we can get all the blue Mustangs together for a video!
Is that motor left hand rotation?

Thanks Gary. I've only seen one in my life that didn't have a Chevy,...so far. The engine is standard rotation, mounted backerds (is that the way he spelled it?)meaning flywheel forward, so it's turning a RH prop.

Speaking of light blue Mustangs, there's decent looking '68 for a great price ($2500) on "boattraderonline.com" up in Wisc.   

Pat, don't think this thing'll show up in GL, unless it turns out we need a diversion for Barney. Get one of our most antagonistic members to drive it in circles at the other end of the lake. Who could that be?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic