NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterization Anomolies

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization Anomolies
    Posted: September-21-2009 at 12:48pm
Started thinking about winterizing, not going to start yet, cause I want to get a few more pulls in but have started thinking about it. So I have always winterized my Dad's 64 Nautique. That one is really straight forward, change the oil drain the block (using the installed by correct craft petcocks) and thats basically it.

So the 98 Sport appears to be a radically different beast. I went through and read all the "Winterization" threads and then started referencing the Pictures TR Benj posted (Thanks those were awesome), and I came up with a few anomolies.

First off the Manifold drain plugs were pretty straightforward, bigger then I expected but still easy to find.

Port Manifold Drain plug

Starboard Manifold Drain plug

My Block drains appear to being used for the shower
Port Engine Block Drain

And maybe the heater???
Starboard Engine Block Drain

And then the really wierd thing was this unknown hose that is tied up at the top of the front of the engine that looks like this:

And terminates at what I believe to be the bottom of the transmission

So I am wondering, has this engine been set up with the hose mentioned above to be purged with air? If you remove the plug on the hose and blow compressed air through would that purge the system of water? Any thoughts on what I have here?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 1:08pm
The drains are as you labeled. Remove and drain them, including shower hoses. You will have a small plug on the bottom of your raw water pump, also.
If you have a heater, you need to remove those hoses from your a)intake, and b)circulating pump, and blow low psi compressed air through them both directions to purge the water from the heater.

The hose that is tied up is for your oil drain. You run that out your plug in the hull to an drain pan. If your engine is up to temp this will drain it pretty well.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

The hose that is tied up is for your oil drain. You run that out your plug in the hull to an drain pan.

But not when the boat is in the water!! LOL!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 1:55pm
Mike;

Now I am a little embarrassed, I should have been able to put that together, obviously thats the oil pan... With the 64 we always pump the oil out, so the concept of an "oil drain" in a boat is foreign to me even though I know it is there, I guess I won't need a pump for the 98... I guess with the discussion in the Winterization thread about draining the Transmission cooler, I made a leap...

Pete, thats pretty funny! Definitely gave me a chuckle.

Thanks Guys!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 2:05pm
My drain kit is far too slow in my SAN, I just pump it out, too.    It would take a month to drain it. I gave up.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 2:15pm
Mike, if the oil is warm and you pull off the oil fill cap, it drains about 20x faster. This trick works great on my '90 at least- otherwise I would let it drain overnight.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 3:18pm
I made up brass fitting from hose bib to I believe 3/8ths pipe.This I connect to a Little Giant impellor pump.Drains oil in about 3 minutes.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 5:34pm
Tim, I always used the drain kit on my 90 and my 92. For some reason, the Python just doesn't want to give up the oil.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 7:30pm

Tim, I always used the drain kit on my 90 and my 92. For some reason, the Python just doesn't want to give up the oil.

You removed the oil fill cap while draining?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2009 at 7:35pm
Absolutely. Both of them.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2009 at 12:06am
Why do you drain the oil for winterizing ?
lonestar
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2009 at 12:13am
Oh, I can see where this has gotten a little misleading... Of course we don't just drain the oil to winterize it , but we do "change" the oil before putting it away. The first step is to drain the old. Now I suppose that will open up the debate on whether it is best to change before winter or at the start of summer...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2009 at 12:25am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Now I suppose that will open up the debate on whether it is best to change before winter or at the start of summer...

Probably not! Its commonly agreed upon that it should be changed at the end of the season so that the block doesnt sit all winter with the old, acidic oil in it.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2009 at 2:51am
We've always changed the oil before and then again in the spring after de-winterization.

Does it cause any problems leaving the boat open over night? Would the open air in the oil chamber cause any corosion problems?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2009 at 7:01pm
Chris,

You change the new oil in the spring with no hours since?

Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2009 at 9:38pm
I read where motor oil, when stored very cold, can form wax deposits, or something to that effect. So changing it again in the spring might have some merit, but it seems like a waste of resources to me.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2009 at 9:40pm

Chris,

Ya thats what ive been doing for no other reason then Ive always heard oil has to be changed at three months regardless of miles or hours . what do you think ?
lonestar
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 1:10am
I always figured that was a marketing ploy to sell more oil. I have never practiced that. I change my oil at the end of every season. I average 50-60 hours each at this point. There are smarter guys here than myself with respect to engines and oil, etc. But at ~$6 a quart, I am not changing out my boats oil with 10 minutes of run time on them.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 3:58am
Mike-

We always get it out on the lake, make sure everything is going well then change it again.

My grandfather was a mechanic and helped rebuild my dad's 74 skier with him. It was what he recomended and we've done it since. I figure it can't hurt and with the high hours our 88 had we took every precaution!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 3:38pm
Totally understand, if it works, don't change anything.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

92ccc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92ccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 5:27pm
The three month interval comes from the automotive industry with the reasoning that if it takes you more than three months to accumulate 3000 miles you are a short trip driver and should change oil by time instead of miles.This defenitely applies to carbureted engines more so than fuel injected engines due to the choke and running richer on cold start ups.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 11:04pm
I bet motor oil distributors store oil in cold warehouses for more than 3 months, just a hunch.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Does it cause any problems leaving the boat open over night? Would the open air in the oil chamber cause any corosion problems?

No this will not create any problems. The crankcase is always vented to the atmosphere, that is part of the job of the PCV system along with venting blow-by gases back to the combustion chamber. Without the ventilation, condensation would build up in the crankcase as would pressure from blow-by past the rings.
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2009 at 12:07am

Chris,

I had a feeling this got confused. No I usually leave the old oil in the boat till I get it ready in the spring. The only reason being that I thought oil needed to be changed after 3 months regardless.I wouldnt mind changing out the oil in the fall as it would be one less thing to do in the spring
lonestar
lonestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lonestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2009 at 12:09am
Originally posted by 92ccc 92ccc wrote:

The three month interval comes from the automotive industry with the reasoning that if it takes you more than three months to accumulate 3000 miles you are a short trip driver and should change oil by time instead of miles.This defenitely applies to carbureted engines more so than fuel injected engines due to the choke and running richer on cold start ups.

Good info, for years Ive wondered what it was about exposing oil to aironce it left the can that made it go bad.
lonestar
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2009 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by lonestar lonestar wrote:

Chris,

I had a feeling this got confused. No I usually leave the old oil in the boat till I get it ready in the spring. The only reason being that I thought oil needed to be changed after 3 months regardless.I wouldnt mind changing out the oil in the fall as it would be one less thing to do in the spring

Wakeslayer was responding to the other Chris (34 Storm) who changes in both the fall and again in the spring (0 hrs of run time). Like I said, you only need to change in the fall:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Its commonly agreed upon that it should be changed at the end of the season so that the block doesnt sit all winter with the old, acidic oil in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic