NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1967 Mustang
    Posted: October-01-2007 at 8:53am
This is our Mustang. It's a perfect project boat for us. The hull is in really good shape, with few scratches. It needs a floor, trans rebuild, and some tlc.

Before winter goal is to clean it up and remove the floor and all of the foam, (almost done with that). In the spring, it will get a new floor and trans rebuild. Long term goals are to reupolster the seats, side panels, and wet sand.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/88Skier/67Mustang9-30-2007001.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/88Skier/67Mustang9-30-2007019.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/88Skier/67Mustang9-30-2007007.jpg
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 1:06pm
Very nice boat Bruce. I love the color.

Good luck with the project and keep the pictures coming...

Kyle
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 10:39pm
That is one nice Mustang,but I'd be quite upset if I took it to have a cover made and it came back with all those snaps on the side.The PO's of mine wasn't shy with a drill either!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 1:35am
Bruce,
Going to be a nice ride ... Will be a great family project!   Did you get any interior with it?

Keep us posted with pics!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 10:11am
The boat came with the original interior. One side panel is rotted. The other just needs to be re upolstered. The seat are original and can be used for now.

I pulled the fuel tank and am thinking of replacing that, but I'm hoping I can find someone to survey it and tell me if it needs replacement or not. It wasn't leaking, but is pretty rusty in one spot, and the 2 hoses were rotted.

I got a price on a new custom tank of $332.

I'm not crazy about the location of the snaps, but what can you do? If a guy did that to me on a new boat, I'd want him to buy the boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 10:28am
Bruce, I've done it with lots of vintage gas tanks and have never had a problem. Look into coating the inside of the tank and then repainting the outside. You can get the coating kits or have it done. Some radiator shops do the coating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 11:22am
Bruce,
A friend of mine runs a radiator shop and in some gas tanks you can put whats called a liner in it. The kit is liquid and comes in cans. He uses the hi-tech way of rolling the tank around by hand to coat the inside.
Make sure you have the tank pressure checked to verify there are no pin holes in it from the rust first!

You could also check with Moeller or Tempo to see if either company has a universal plastic tank that would be close to your original.   btw, does the boat have a gas gauge?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 11:30am
Steve, What the $#%%!! A plastic tank in a 67??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 11:36am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve, What the $#%%!! A plastic tank in a 67??

Pete Dont have a coronary man!!!

Its BEHIND the back seat and I would much rather have a new, plastic tank than a questionable/ leaky metal original..

All Im saying is on a boat like this, a plastic tank could be a safe and economical fix...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 12:00pm
Riley, Tempo makes a replacement 18 gal.
46 3/4 long x 10 1/4 x 10 part #TP18SC
Hold Down #654 TCI
This may be a tad larger than stock but it will fit...........boat dr
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 4:08pm
Boat dr, that's the ticket, $149.95! I want to keep the boat original, but have no problem with switching the fuel tank over to plastic. I'll probably also remove the copper fuel line and replace it with rubber fuel line and install a water/seperating fuel filter.

The boat has a manual fuel guage in the tank with the window on the transom deck. I think that is a cool feature of the boat and would like to keep that. I will see if Tempo still makes the gauge and if the plastic tank will work with one.

Boat dr, Eric L. thought you had an Eaton tranny in your boat at one time. Have you worked on it? Is it difficult to remove?

I'm told mine needs a rebuild, but thought I'd wait till spring and get the boat going and see what the problem is. I am hoping that if I change the fluid, it might work ok, (wishful thinking on my part). PO said it slipped, and didn't go into forward or reverse too well. For all I know, it's low on fluid. I haven't even checked it.

On the other hand, if it does need a rebuild, I'm better off doing it during the winter, especially if I find someone locally that can do it, because our winter are so long and boating season so short.

Pete, I will check with the local radiator shops, but if a 40 yo tank is questionable, I'd rather replace it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 4:20pm
Bruce, What engine is in the boat? Some Interceptors had the Dearbomatics. I don't know what the parts supply is for them but do know a couple people who are into them if Eric has a hard time with the parts.

See what the liner in the tank will do. I've had some with pin holes that the coating will take care of. The shop doing the coating will know for sure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 4:24pm
Bruce,
I use metal brake line for fuel line

I ran it along the stringers and installed a shut off valve just above and to the side of the tranny.

I still have a steel tank, so I do check it and the fuel line at least once a year..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 4:44pm
Riley, My '64 came with a H/M 260 CI and a Dearbomatic.Replaced with 302 and now she has a 331 stroker,with a beefed up Velvet Drive.
Still have the Dearbomatic sitting on my floor, shifts great and half the weight of the B/Warner.
Will be willing to sell if you need.........
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 4:44pm
The engine is an Interceptor, 170 ci, 100 hp. It has an Eaton "C" model tranny.

According to the manual, Interceptor is made by Eaton Manufacturing Co./Dearborn Marine Engine Division. Eaton and Dearbomatic are probably related.

The tranny is different than the one in Steve's boat. My engine is also a little different. The alternator and RWP appear different, the fuel pump is just behind the RWP, and the carb stands straight up.

Ironically, in exchange for a donation to CCF, Reid P. mailed me a copy of an Interceptor Tech Manual this past spring, which is the correct manual for my engine. All the pics match and everything.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 4:48pm
Boat dr, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

Also my engine isn't pretty like Steve's. It's pretty rusty and peeling right now.

I just called a radiator shop. $500 to $600 to pressure test and coat. The guy highly recommends going to plastic.

BTW, Tempo make a manual gauge for the tank.$50.

Another thing about Steve's engine, it looks like he has a straight piece of exhaust hose going from the manifold to the transom. Hopefully I can do that. I have removed an "s" shape piece of hose that goes from the maifold to a pipe that connects to a straight piece of hose. The "s" shape piece looks like radiator hose from a big truck.

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 5:02pm
Riley- That's a great project boat for you and the boys. They must be thrilled.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 5:05pm
Bruce,
$500 to 600 to test and line the tank!!!! Hope that comes with the vasoline!

As for the "pretty" engine, it didnt always look like that...

I did a "rattle-can" rebuild.. you can see the gas line and fuel filter in this "before" pic. I think the exhaust hose was a p.o. job.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 5:17pm
Brad,the boys are thrilled. We made the road trip to get it on the 22nd, and have spent all of the 23rd, 29, & 30 washing, waxing, dismantling and chipping out foam. They can't get enough.

Steve, that's a great pic. Did you remove foam? What king of supports are there along the hull that the strapping connect to? Mine doesn't have that. The strapping was supported by foam. Also, how did you connect the strapping to the main stringers? Did you have to add some sort of ledger strip?

My engine looks just like that.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 5:31pm
Bruce,
I lucked out-no foam! The stapping is screwed into wooden blocks,about 2 1/2" long, that are 'glassed into the side of the hull.

The main stringers are notched the width and depth of the strapping, so they mount flush.

I might have asked already, how old are your bouys?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 5:36pm
No foam, you missed out the monotinous job of removing it. All I can think while we're chipping it out is "if they only hadn't done this, and, what were they thinking".

My boys are 13 & 16.

My stringers are notched, but under the motor mounts, how did you remove the strapping? I have cut them off, but they are not rotted at that point.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 5:47pm
Bruce,
I'll get back with you (got an appointment....damn job ;)...I think these pics were as I found it, after someone elses feeble repair attempt.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 8:29pm
Here's a pic of the Tempo tank Boatdr mentioned. It's a tad bigger, like half an inch in length, width and height. The original metal "long cruise" holds 15 gallons and the plastic tempo holds 18. The only thing different is the vent hose hook up, it's closer to the front edge.
Tim D
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 9:46pm
Where did you buy the tank? Can you get one without the sending unit? How do you anchor it to the boat?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 11:00pm
It came with the sending unit. There are places on the corner edge notched out for a strap to secure it. I wrapped it under the tank and the support boards which it sits on. It was the TP18SC, $149.95. A friend of mine that has a boat shop ordered it for me for one of his suppliers.

Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2007 at 11:35pm
Riley read the above post where I gave you the part # of the tank and the hold down strap.The L brackets will not work because you can't get to the rear to screw them down....654 TCI is the part number..........
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:09am
boat dr. I didn't understand "Hold Down #654 TCI", but I do now. That's easy enough.

Thanks for the tank info, that's the way to go, about $200 for the tank and guage, plus whatever the strap kit costs. My friend with the Wildcat will be happy to know that. He's got to replace his tank.

What thickness plywood is in those? I ripped 3/8 plywood out, but that seemed too thin.     

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:09am
Bruce,
Here's a link to a post I did after working on my 64 last year.. In the first pic you can see how I did the outer stringer repair. You can also see the blocks I was telling you about to hold the outer ends of the strapping (btw, I replaced all of them).

Hope this might help?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:37am
I went back with 5/8" and epoxy coated both sides, a bit over kill but do not want to do it again..........
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:42am
Doc,
I did the same last year on my 64! Definately worth the small extra cost...No spongy feel at all...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic