NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski nautique 80-81 differences???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski nautique 80-81 differences???
    Posted: April-25-2007 at 11:34am
Are there any differences between a 1980 and a 1981 Ski Nautique??

I recently bought the only one in town, the PO claims the boat is 81 but on the papers it says it's 1980, I'm just curious.
nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 11:51am
81 has CORRECT CRAFT within the painted stripe on the side of the boat near the back, the 80 used riveted on emblems. The 80 may have one electronic Airguide speedo on one side and an analog Airguide on the other, but the 81 should have two chrome bezeled analog Airguide speedos. The main difference is the type of CORRECT CRAFT display on the rear sides.....that is the best way to tell the difference. Also, what is the last few numbers in your hull number???? Post a pic of your boat.....if you can.

Hope this helps!

PC
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 11:59am
Luchog,

Below is an explanation of hull ID numbers provided by bkhallpass (Brian) a while ago. You will fit into the 72-84 explantion. It will tell you month and year of mfg. If it was built after july or august it is likely the next model year (my boat was built dec 75 and is a 76 model year) This confusion comes up occassionally on here. People preparing paper work must get confused by mfg year vs model year. My registration and title differ between 75 and 76. Anyway, welcome to the site and as Paul suggested, post some pics, we always like to see pictures.

Since 1972, the hull id numbers have been standardized across the industry. As I understand it, prior to 1972, it was kind of up to the boat companies. Below is an explanation of the post 72 ids. For prior dates, I think you're going to need to call CC with the seiral number to get a date of manufacture. BKH

For post 72, you will find the Hull ID Number on the right side of the transom, just below the rubrail.

For boats made in the US between 72 and 84:

12 digit code

Example ABC 12345 1272
- First Three Digits are manufacturer code
- Next five digits are serial number
- Last four digits are month and year for date of certification. This is not the model year, but the date the boat was made.

Alternatively another code was used between 72 an 84:

Example: ABC 12345 M73E
Last four digits indicate model year with last digit representing month made as follows

A - August          G - February
B - September       H - March
C - October        I - April
D - November        J - May
E - December        K - June
F - January        L - July

Boats made after 84 use the same code used today:

Example: ABC 12345 A900

First three - manufacturer code
Next five - serial number
Next letter - A through L, corresponding to January through December.
Next digit - Year boat was made
Last two digits - Model year of the boat.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 12:13pm
thanks a lot guys, I believe that help with clear this up

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 2:23pm
that boat is a 1980! another thing is the back of an 81 says "correct craft" only! welcome to the best boat site in the world..
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 2:25pm
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 2:25pm
Mark,

Too bad Luciano is in Argentina and not central FL. Would look good lined up next to you and Jbear.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

that boat is a 1980! another thing is the back of an 81 says "correct craft" only! welcome to the best boat site in the world..

Not correct, 81's came both ways. The reference manual shows them with both lines of text but my 81 only says Correct Craft" I believe because of the anniv edition.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

the back of an 81 says "correct craft" only!

Im pretty sure thats only the case on the anniversary boats. That boat still looks like an '80 though.

1981:

Edit: Alan beat me to it.
nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 3:07pm
Thanks TRBenj.....Nice photo of my 1981 boat above!! Chevy powered!

MM....the only time I have seen the "CORRECT CRAFT" by itself on the back of an 81, was on the Anniversary like stated above. I owned one, now BJ has it.....I have seen Alans, and more, so far, all TRUE Anniversary 81 boats had ONLY "Correct Craft" on the back.

PC       
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Mark,

Too bad Luciano is in Argentina and not central FL. Would look good lined up next to you and Jbear.

yes it would!!

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 4:04pm
So, what's the official statement? 1980 o 81???

A few things I've been thinking on about this boat. I'd like to know what you all think about.

1-Adding some cup holders over the oberserver's seat dash.

2-Some sort of net under the driver's gunnel for storing small stuff.

3-store away the original mirror and mounting one on the windshield instead.

4-relocate the hour meter and installing a depth finder gauge where the hour meter is.

Already changed impeller and sanded all teak, now waiting for distributor rebuild kit, original lights and Acme 542 propeller.

Entire electric installation will be checked.
and probably transmission will need some work too because it moves the boat forward for a few seconds while in neutral at start up.

Any other comments/suggestions are welcomed!

thanks a lot

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 4:40pm
Here's a picture of my former '80. The '80 had a very small water ski compartment on the driver's side, where I believe the '81 has them on both sides. My '80 had one electronic speedo, which worked about 5% of the time. My graphics were unique....and some say my shorts were too?

Ken
Rod R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 8:40pm
I wouldn't cut, drill or relocate anything. That boat is beautiful just like it is.

$0.02,
Rod
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 10:33pm
Congrats on a beautiful boat and welcome to this awesome site! Don't change a thing.

MM; Now that is a couple of nice lookin' boats! Bet they are fast too!

Ken; Just noticed, after all the times I've seen that pic, that you have a red sox (ugh) hat on. To bad you must have been poor back then and could not afford a good hat.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
BlondieGurl1443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondieGurl1443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2007 at 11:32pm
jbears boat is so fast, it makes the rest of the world black and white

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic