Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rare Boat?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rare Boat?
    Posted: February-22-2006 at 1:26am
Ok so I was watching Caddyshack last night and I saw a couple outboard Master Craft, stars and stripes. Does anyone know if these are rare? I havent seen any of these before. Anyone see any of these around still?
mars
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 6:36am
Mars,

I know a guy that has a 1979 master craft inboard Stars and Stripes but not shure about nor have i ever seen an outboard master craft. The inboards are pretty cool but dont like the interior. The interior seems almost like your sitting on the floor? Maybee thats the way it is though. Boat has a 351w in it and runs very well and sounds even better!!

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 6:36am
CaddyShack ? I saw them in some of the Police Academy Movies.I think they were an entry level boat that did not do so well.This is probably why you do not see many of them.I see one here on the local lakes every summer.Nice looking ...Just to bad it has that thing hanging off the back
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 7:06am
They were around for a while. There was a time when the top barefooters all started getting away from inboards so they could get a smaller wake. They ran two of those at Mike Seipels school in Florida for a long time.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 7:34am
While I was searching for my current SN last year I saw at one near the Chain of Lakes area (cue jbear).
It was a red and white late 90's model outboard, open bow, ski pylon over motor.

Being a boat-a-holic, I had to look at it. As a ski enthusiast I really liked the wake, as a driver I liked the power (ran about 55) with a fairly quick/quite hole shot. As for cornering it tracked like new shoes on an oily floor. 'nuf said. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 7:41am
They made a barefoot boat with an outboard.
Tim D
hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 8:45am
They also made a jump boat... ie a boat w/ an outboard designed to go off a jump in shows etc.

Not sure of the numbers on those. Outboards on ski boats rule for barefooting and all out speed, but they get pulled all over the place by slalom skiers.

Oh they're also not entry level boats, they tend to be specialized boats bought by fewer people w/ very specific needs.
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:16am
If you go to the monster tower web site   Monster tower customer photos and go to the customers pictures of MC's I believe there is 3 MCs with outboards....ugly, does not look right.

But whatever makes you happy and having fun!
Scott
Our 94 SN
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:20am
Does anyone know why back in the 70s/80s master craft were putting outboards on there barefoot boats and nautiques were just putting bigger inboards in?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:30am
they were usually paired with a pretty hefty Yamaha outboard that got you good horsepower and hundreds of pounds in weight savings over a big block chevy and they were much faster. Much smaller wake. Crossing the wake barefoot on an older nautique even at speed is like falling off the side of a mountain. Regular jumpers liked the wake too, hugh cuts across a big wake could really upset your takeoff. Remember this is all pre wakeboarding when smaller was better.
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:39am
I have seen the ones you were talking about SMay 81. But these were more like the jump boats that hawkeye refered to. I think they have to be pretty rare. I'll search for some pics of one.
mars
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:56am
Mars,

Not sure what you saw. As someone suggested, MC did make a handful of jump boats for shows, etc. Those are pretty rare. There was one for sale on ebay about 6 months ago. The Mastercraft barefoot boat is not that rare. They made those at least made 80s(perhaps earlier), and at least through 95. MC was not the only company to make outboard barefoot boats. Malibu made the flightcraft, and Sanger produced the very popular barefoot Sanger. I believe that all off the manufacturers havenow dropped the outboard barefoot boots because they are no longer permitted in compet*tion. Here in the West, the Inboard Barefoot Sanger is probably the most popular compet*tion barefoot boat. Generally Sangers are the fastest of the inboard comp boats, and they put an even bigger engine in the barefoot models. They also have some special cavitation plates, etc. to improve the barefoot wake. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 10:56am
Flightcraft was also a popular outboard ski boat back then and Mastercraft may have been trying not to lose marketshare to them by coming out with their outboard.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 11:34am
They (outboards) are faster because of trim control. A friend of mine had a flightcraft barefoot boat and I use to pull him with it. Any outboard, if you left the trim down at an angle like an inboard, it wouldn't go very fast.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 12:42pm
Tim D, I agree, like any outboard, raise the trim and go fast and out of control.

We used to foot behind a flightcraft and it was a good barefoot boat but I personnaly don't like my boats to sound like a weed wacker and I can't stand the smell of a 2 stroke. The flightcraft was low to the waterline and you could send water over the bow and windshield very easy, not cool when the suns not out.   my .02

ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2006 at 12:45pm
A couple of my friends bought this jump boat on ebay a year or so ago.

I think this is the correct picture of theirs...oh well. Ya'll get the idea.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 11:48am
That's the one I saw on ebay, I believe. BKH
Livin' the Dream

mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2006 at 11:52am
Anyone know how much those are worth and where you could find one?
mars
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2006 at 2:50pm
not one of the "jump" boats you guys are talking about but a
93MC Barefoot outboard with a tower kinda looks strange......
Scott
Our 94 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 7:31am
Not the jump boat you guys we're talking about but a very nice barefoot OB.
MC outboard
Hate to admit it but I like it.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2006 at 5:54pm
    While on the subject of different boats, does anyone know how the Malibu Corvette boat is for pulling. I know they crank for an inboard. I think they had a 383 stroker in it, as well as SS rudder and prop.
    I was WOT at 50 mph, and it will pass me with no trouble.
                               Jeff...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2006 at 7:27pm
There is a really nice one on ebay right now.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 6:03pm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASTERCRAFT-ProStar-200-Barefoot-200-outboard-ski-boat_W0QQitemZ4620313911QQcategoryZ63686QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats the link
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2006 at 6:03pm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASTERCRAFT-ProStar-200-Barefoot-200-outboard-ski-boat_W0QQitemZ4620313911QQcategoryZ63686QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the link
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic