NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tow Hook for 88 ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Hook for 88 ski
    Posted: January-24-2006 at 6:01pm
Mars,
   The installation will most likely require the removal of the gas tank, but that won't be rocket science. You can make it as strong as you want with the proper backing plate/ transom reinforcement depends on what you think you need.
-joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Shredhead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2006 at 11:44am
I have an 89 and pull multiple tubes from the pylon. If you use the stern tow ring you loose almost all ability to turn at idle speed.
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2006 at 10:12am
I have an 88 Ski. Is it a hard instilation? I think it would be since its behind the gas tank. How much would it hold?
mars
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2006 at 8:38pm
The boat in the 1989 brochure has the same hook so I would guess it is original. However, you can buy them from overtons, at least you used to be able to, I have installed them on a few i/o' over the years owned by the summer camp I used to work at. If you have any problems locating one let me know I am fairly sure I have one kicking around still. Depending on the boat you might want to put a large backing plate in the inside of the boat to disperse the load.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2006 at 7:38pm
Jeff- I had the same problems and I think it was because the rope would pull on a single side of the ring. I tried to rig up the tow rope so that it would be spread evenly but couldnt figure anything out.

I wondered if the 89 SN came with a rear tow ring or if this was manufactured by the owner. Hope the Pic works.

mars
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 8:54pm
I used to pull tubers with the pylon. Then got the idea of oh hooking the ropes to the rear lifting ring so I could cram as many people in the back seat to make a huge wake. Well, pulling 1 tube with the Mustang (barely able to plane out) caused the SS sheetmetal screws on rear ring to crack the gelcoat a bit. The older boats use treaded rod to the ring with 2 sheetmatal screws to the fiberglass. So no more on the rear ring(so I say). It was almost worth ths gel coat split to see them fly.
                                      Jeff
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 6:33pm
75 Tique; Agreed, to many expensive tube and kneeboard boats on the lake.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 11:44am
I don't know....everywhere I go there seems to be an abundance of Tube-Nautiques...what a great use of $55,000.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 9:16am
Tried to get my scanner to work to provide some visuals on the virtues of tubing, but apparently my new fangled computer doesn't have anything like a parallel port... So I will just say not every hot girl in a bikini can ski/wakeboard, but they all have a home on my boat and tubes.
-Joe
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 9:11am
I definatly agree with that! I think the boat should be used to ski only! Thats why its called a SKI Nautique and not a Tube Nautique! I guess everyone else doesnt understand! I hate to tow them because i'm scared of stress cracks and hurting anything!
mars
slalomguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 8:20am
Get a jon boat to pull the tubes. Let the big boys ride behind the big boy boat.
[QUOTE=79nautique]
yea kiss me ass the rest of you sob's,
[/QUOTE]
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 7:45pm
75; Love the pics that good with your threads.

82tique; My favorite method of pulling tubes!

jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 12:34pm
As some of you may have started to notice, I like to try to meet the challenge of finding a 30 year old picture to match just about any thread that discusses old boats and boating. I'll admit, this isnt Cypress Gardens, or even some second rate local ski club, just a bunch of inexperienced weekend warriors (Sept 10, 1972, Kayuta Lake, Forestport NY)seeing if we could throw a pyramid up. The point being, a pylon (or was it the lifting ring...I don't remember) managed to pull five of us up behind the 66 Mustang. We also tried seven once, but one fell, so we left him bobbing around in the lake and made two 3-man pyramids (just kidding...I'm sure we must have had a rescue boat to pick him up)

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:50am
sorry that was suppose to be "pushing"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:49am
I believe on mine, on the underside of the lift ring is a bracket that mounts to the transom it's L shaped and would provide for some lateral support. For tubing I wouldn't worry about it, I do it that way along with others here. Now if you start using it for a good slalom skier then that might be pussing it a little.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:35am
Don't know about the 88 and the lifting hook strength but I, like 75tique, have used my lifting hook to tow a couple skiers while using the pylon to tow 3 without any problem, but neither skier was on a slalom and they didn't have very much room to cut around.

Anyone have any idea how many people the stock pylon on a solid 1967 mustang might be able to pull? We were pretty successful pulling 5 out of the water and I got a couple more pairs of ski's and a new wakeboard over the winter so next year we will definitely go for 8.

I would not be completely sure about tubing loads never exceeding a slalom skiers load, we had an aftermarket pylon on a 1986 glastron camp boat that survived a 12 years of 240lb 6'2-6'4 slalom skiers (not pro's but certified skiing instructors). That pylon met its death (one of the support arms buckled causing the hole thing to collapse and get yanked off the boat headed for the tubers, luckily no one was hurt) when I had two considerably smaller tubers on it and allowed them to pick up a lot of slack, the tubes sink and slow then accellerate very fast when the lines tighten, I don't think it will bother a correct craft pylon but it is a lot of force.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:22am
Originally posted by mars88 mars88 wrote:

How should I tow tubers Behind my 88? Thanks for the help!

Very fast through shallow water with jagged rocks!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:16am
This has come up before. The consensus was that there is no problem pulling using the rear lifting ring. Especially with tubes that offer little to no resistance (well, except maybe on start up). Myself, I have pulled several skiers with the lifting ring, with the other half of them coming off the pylon. Even though the lifting ring is made for lifting, I think the stresses of a lateral pull are minimal compared to the strength of the set up. In terms of pulling from the pylon...that's what its made for. A strong skier, deep in a cut, puts a lot more strain on a pylon than a tube would.
In the words of many forum contributors... "there is my 2 cents"
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 10:40am
Hey everyone I have another question about my 88 Ski. I saw on a previous forum that you are not supposed to load an eye hook laterally and that they are made to lift the boat vertically. My question is how do you all tow tubes? I HATE TUBES!! But friends always want to tube and so do little kids. I hate to tow from the pylon b/c it seems like alot of stress. I saw a rear tow hook on the transom of an 89 and wondered if that was standard or if they had added that? How should I tow tubers Behind my 88? Thanks for the help!
mars
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic