Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removal of Swim Platform Brackets

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removal of Swim Platform Brackets
    Posted: October-28-2008 at 3:09pm
I am restoring a '98 SN 176. I would like to remove the swim platform brackets from the transom so I can repaint them and more easily polish the hull using a random orbital buffer. Does anyone know if the brackets are thru bolted (if so, how do I get to the nuts) or lag bolted to the transom. Also, any suggestions for the type of black paint to use to respray the brackets. The boat is not left in the water but I don't want to go through the trouble and then have the paint peel off.
Thanks
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 12:32am
I don't know about the through bolts (someone else will for sure) but as far as paint you might want to look into black anodizing. Paint will probably peel off again.

BTW, my bkts aren't painted at all & have an oxided surface, but not very visible with the boat in the water - out of sight out of mind!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 12:47am
They were put in with lag bolts. Just remove them to remove the bracket. make sure you recaulk the hole when you put them back on.
woodyelc
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 1:18am
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

They were put in with lag bolts. Just remove them to remove the bracket. make sure you recaulk the hole when you put them back on.

You sure, Woody? On my '90, the bottom bolts are lags, the top bolts are backed with nuts and washers. Im not sure you could get to them without pulling the gas tank, though.

I had the half of the brackets that attach to the platform powdercoated, and they still look great 2 seasons later.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 2:33am
To remove the brackets, the top bolts are thru bolted and the bottom are lag.

On the inside of the transom you might have to peel back the carpet to get to the nut's.

I think the nut's are 9/16 or 3/4.

And make sure you re-seal correctly.
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 1:41pm
I would get the brackets powdercoated as well like TRBenj said. Powdercoating looks great and holds up better than paint.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Jetski180 Jetski180 wrote:

I would get the brackets powdercoated as well like TRBenj said. Powdercoating looks great and holds up better than paint.

hard anodizing will last much longer than powder coating ever will and looks ten times better too.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Jetski180 Jetski180 wrote:

hard anodizing will last much longer than powder coating ever will and looks ten times better too.

IF the brackets are aluminum, then I'll go along with Chris and a black anodizing. With the powder coat, all it takes is one pin hole for water moisture to get in and it's white rust time for the aluminum!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jetski180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetski180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 3:58pm
Didn't know about hard anodizing. I looked at it some and would agree with you that it will last alot longer. Always learning something new on this great website. Thanks all.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2008 at 4:41pm
the powder coat can also be chipped much harder to damage anodizing.

you need to use type III, class 2 anodizing,

Type II, class 2 is typical anodizing and can scratch pretty easy.

Now as Pete pointed out if it is steel then powder coating is your best option.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2008 at 12:32am
They wouldn't use carbon steel for platform brackets, would they? I doubt if they are stainless steel - if so they wouldn't have painted them in the 1st place.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic