NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 24>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:31pm
Greg, How thick was the original that you cut out? It may give you a idea. Start putting the first layer in and by the time you're done maybe some one will know. Then go with one extra layer.

I've never done a glass over foam. I've alway though of it as weak engineering.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 9:01am
OK then...I may end up vaporizing the squirrel. I think I'll try the BFH test this morning.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2008 at 6:15pm
For anyone who had glassed over foam for their floor...

How many layers of glass and what type of cloth were you using? I'm asking because I don't want to shoot a squirrel with a bazooka, just enough for the job. Weight is my concern, but I don't want it to break next week either!   
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 7:00pm
I thought maybe you were going to try & put it in the water & with everything so low, no ramps are open!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

So why the 2 cranes? One crane to lift the boat, and then the ther crane lifts that crane?

I thought we were going to drop a crane in it...thus # 2?!!?    LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 6:02pm
So why the 2 cranes? One crane to lift the boat, and then the ther crane lifts that crane?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Pete, I know you have a crane bigger than that in your back yard...hook it to the diesel.   

The crane is gonna bounce, so I'll need some help fixing the driveway?!!?

Edit, I just realized we need 2, so I'll look for another here...

I know I am slow, but what the heck are you doing with a crane like that? Too much wood in that floor?   

Greg, It was earlier in this thread that Greg and I started talking about how strong his hull was going to turn out. Somehow we got joking about testing it by dropping it from a crane!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 3:31pm

Pete, I know you have a crane bigger than that in your back yard...hook it to the diesel.   

I know I am slow, but what the heck are you doing with a crane like that? Too much wood in that floor?   
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 3:12pm

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 3:11pm

1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 3:08pm
Had no problems with the MSD box being mounted there. It's a marine box as well so it should handle the little bit of water it might possibly see. I have a had a regular MSB box in my 79 250 for over ten years and it sees water on a regualr basis at the sand dunes. But thanks for the tip Chris, I will keep an eye it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 10:09am
Greg, I got the best price quote from Inco services (Alphaetta) problably because they are closer to you and it will be less travel time. Lewis Crane (Marietta) and All Crane of Georgia (Austell) were almost twice the price. All were quoting 10 tons cranes with lifts heights of about 100 feet and a reach or 50 feet. Inco wants 48 hours notice so keep the pictures coming so I can keep a eye on your progress. I figure when you get the floor done. We'll leave the engine out of the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 9:24am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, What's up with west and the foam? Did I miss something?

Good morning Pete! I ran out of foam JUST before finishing the floor, so I picked up the expensive kit from west.

What form of gel did you order from Minnicraft?

I used the 888 super gloss in a quart can. They mixed it so I could use the preval sprayer.

Inside is looking great! Getting closer to the big drop test!!

Why does that sound like the chain broke when putting the engine in?!!?   LOL

Do you have the crane lined up?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2008 at 8:38am
Greg, What's up with west and the foam? Did I miss something?

What form of gel did you order from Minnicraft? The quart or the spray can? I've had very good results with their spray cans for small jobs. In fact, I had to do the exact keel job on my Tique. Mine however was farther aft due to beaching in rocks or gravel so I didn't go to the extent you did with prep/fairing.

Inside is looking great! Getting closer to the big drop test!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2008 at 11:16pm
This is sanded to 600 as per Minicraft to accept the gel. FWIW they are slammed with private customers as a sign of the times. It seems many are fixing their own boats rather than paying someone else.

I used regular fiberglass resin with mil fiber as the filler and just a bit of talc...the talc makes it much more workable.

This is my wrapping paper episode that I referred to on Joe's thread...a computer should have 'memory' like this paper had?!!?   LOL

I don't know what to say about this...except that west is going to get their pound of flesh. If I started the foam again now I'd have plenty. The learning curve got me again?!!?   LOL

The lighter side of this fiasco is that she is solid!

1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Greg,

That support is in my boat as well. SO I would say it original. Gives you a great place to bolt your MSD ignition box to as well.

yea if you don't want to use it very long. you mount it down that low it's going to get wet.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 3:25pm
Greg,

That support is in my boat as well. SO I would say it original. Gives you a great place to bolt your MSD ignition box to as well.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:54pm
Its just a difference between that era BFN and the SN, the SN has higher stringers in that location so they can use them and just glass in a board across. The support on the BFN is higher than the stringers its lagged to.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:46pm
It is original, unlike the SN where the 1x6 goes stringer to stringer. If they did that on the BFN it would probably fail due to the wider span. Also, remember the stringers are not floor height, there wouldn't be adequate support for the 1x6 from the plywood.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

but Hey IT's NOT ORGINAL so you might want to re-think those point deductions

LOL...no deductions on this one. This piece is original! I do think my '79 was like you say with a cross board glassed in.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:17pm

Greg, just incase you haven't seen a picture of Chris or met him, Chris is a person with a large stature!

I've got a little beer belly just like all ya'll and that's the only flabby part about me.

I understand, sounds like the rear brace is gone the 1x6 piece across the top of the stringer was replaced with the c-channel should work but Hey IT's NOT ORGINAL so you might want to re-think those point deductions
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 11:53am
Chris, When you get to a spot where you can look at the picture, take a look. It's the add on center support for the aft removable floor board we're talking about.

BTW, When Greg's done with it, he's going to get you down there to jump around on it for the big testing!! If your testing works, it will take anything. Greg, just incase you haven't seen a picture of Chris or met him, Chris is a person with a large stature!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 11:47am
Chris, I have the engine cradle and it is lagged; horizontally and vertically. That doesn't bother me so much because I won't need to take it out so often(I hope). I'll seal them in good.

The piece we're talking about is further back and supports the center of the removable floor. It's a separate piece and is an upside down C shape bolted to the inside of the stringers.

Nice to see you stop by!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 11:30am
well I can't see the picture while at work but it sounds like you guys are looking at a later model engine cradle that they started using around 81 and it actually was part of the pylon support as well. It was mounted on the 81 I had with through bolts perpendicular to the stringers and not lag bolts. All of the 79's I've seen didn't have the aluminum cradle for the engine mounts and pylon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 8:46am
I like that solution, it's clean and simple...and keeps the original part in! The best part is I can pick that little bit up a little later.

I'd like to think I would've thought of it, but knowing me...?!!?   LOL

Thanks again Pete!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 8:36am
Greg, The horizontal lags bothered me too and it's why I asked. Short lags that wouldn't go through the 1&1/2" stringer aren't the greatest! I'd bet that CC had some longer lags in it originaly which compromised the integrity of the sealing of the stringer (plus no attempt to sealing the bolt holes). It was little things like this that really hurt the life of the wood stringers!
If you go with the original aluminum channel, here's what I would do. Short pieces of aluminum angle welded (or bolted) to the sides of the vertical channel will allow you to bolt down into the top of the stringers instead of into the sides. They would also place all the loading of someone jumping into the boat on the top of the stringers where it should be. You would still have plenty of room for the exhaust. Don't forget the CPES down the bolts holes! Sometimes minor changes are needed from the original to overcome engineering problems!!!

This remindes me of when I restored my Atom and finding one of the major problems (and leak) with the hull. When they installed the engine, (mine has the rarer CC/Chris engine instead of the Gray Marine) they ran into a clearance problem with the frame that ran under the trans. The engine wouldn't sit low enough in the bilge. The installer had used a chisel to cut out almost all (only a 1/2" left) of the frame including slicing off the now too long wood screws holding the inner keel to this frame. Double sistering and epoxy bonding the lower section of the frame cured the problem!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 8:29am
Originally posted by 91nautique 91nautique wrote:

Out of curiosity- is the 36'' measurment the entire area? What is the measurment between the two inner stringers?

The deck is 36 1/2W X 42L. It's 21"(width of the alum. support) between the inner stringers if I understand your question.
1988 BFN-sold

91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:35am

Greg,
Out of curiosity- is the 36'' measurment the entire area? What is the measurment between the two inner stringers?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2008 at 12:19am
Thanks and good to hear from you 91. Know that some of my success has your name on it!

Yes, my rear deck is a little wider...36"
1988 BFN-sold

91nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 11:26pm
Greg,

I cant remember what was supporting mine back when we went through the refloor in 2000,but I remember the original drop in piece there was a mess.
It was replaced with 3/4'' marine ply, the access hole for the gland was cut and the floor was glassed heavily with chopped strand mat. Its very heavy...

There is no support like you have in your pic, and the boat has no rear seat, so the entire section has seen heavy use in 8 yrs and 800 hours. It still looks the same as when it was done back in 2000.

But your's looks to be wider? mine is 26 3/4 inches wide.

Did the same for the drop in floor at the front, (same width) it takes the weight of the observers seat and 2-3 people but it was made from a composite vacum formed piece that I got as an offcut from a pro boat builder. It weighs virtually nothing.

No issues with that either.

Stunning progress your making, I hear that big block starting to rumble from here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic