Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

foam flotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kiddo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: foam flotation
    Posted: January-07-2008 at 11:15pm
I own a 1983 fish nautique. I believe that the foam is soaked judging by the way the boat sits nose heavy in the water.Would it be possible to eliminate the foam after the floor is replaced? Access hatches would be installed in two areas to monitor what goes on down there. What do you think?
help me if you can
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 12:13am
Foam replacement is much like oil selection on this site. There are lots of opinions as to whether or not the foam should be put back. There are good agurements on both sides of the fence. There are members here that have boats that do not have foam in them, so to answer your question yes you can leave the foam out.
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 8:07am
I've got the floor out in mine at the moment and found wet but not soaked foam and wet but not rotten stringers (pheewwwee). The glass had just gone where the foam had collaplsed underneath and the bits of ply were shot.

I was thinking about the foam and decided I would replace it. I also thought about the insurance situation; foam is a safety feature. The boat is meant to remain afloat even if swamped, so if you remove it and it sinks will you be covered? Losing the baot would be bad enough but if you unlucky enough to sink in a channel getting stung with the cost of salvage as well would be a bitter pill to swallow.

I guess the same question arises with regard to ballast; if you load the boat up with lead have you made it unsafe?

Anyone any experience?
Easily Parted From Money
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 8:47am
My first thought was- will the fish be going offshore? Tomski, you should have a capacity tag near your shifter.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 7:31am
Buffalo,

The tag is long gone I'm afraid, capacity isn't really an issue for me as I don't ballast the boat anyway - I fend people better than lead, they're easy to move and they pay for gas!

I was just curious what people's views were on the no foam/insurance thing.

I made the decision to put it back because a boat we had a few years ago split an exhaust pipe whilst we were having lunch and sank to the gunwales, but we got back to ramp and on the trailer and had it running agian next day, so keeping afloat is a bonus.
Easily Parted From Money
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 8:29am
Wise.
hasbeenskier
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Tomski Tomski wrote:

Buffalo,I was just curious what people's views were on the no foam/insurance thing.

Pete had a little to say about insurance in another post, though I think the topic was about marine engine parts vs. automotive. His point(I think) was that if an insurance inspector caught an inconsistancy with the boat that related to the claim, the claim would probably be denied. Auto carb=Boom=no money!
The DNR asked me where the capacity tag was on my old boat a few years ago. I reached in the glove compartment and handed it to him...he wans't happy. LOL You may have different rules accross the pond, but this guy checked me again later that year to make sure I had put it back.
On the foam, mine will be going back in for insurance reasons and because I'm sure my big block would make a very efficient anchor. Speaking of ponds, don't you guys have some really deep lochs with nasties living in them? Heck, Nessie might not give your boat back?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 10:19am
the coast guard also requires life preservers too.. a boat is replaceable, if you tell the adjuster, well yeah i took out the foam that is required of course a red flag will go up...they are on a need to know basis...most of the times replacement values are less expensive than the repair costs of a soggy boat. the foam has nothing to do with saving the boat its required and its there to save your ass, seeing most guys that ski cant swim, when the boat sinks it gives you something to hold onto because you forgot your life vests
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 3:04pm
Great point Eric.....!!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 2:41pm
with all the discussuions on foam, ive decided finally that if i was to do my own boat i would not include it in the floors, because of the damage it causes. to rationalize why is these boats are designed for river and lake use, its there for safety and safety only, it is required for safety which i fully condone, it does not have anything to do with noise or stability because the hulls are designed for ridgity. if you were to use this as a long range fishing boat by all means the foam should be there who wouldnt want it 20 miles out. it is required as are airbags are on a car when manufactured and the choice is yours as to if you want to use foam or not. as with doing someone elses floors i would recommend putting the foam back in for liability reasons. I'll probably regret posting this but its my opinion as to what i would do with my own boat because ive seen alot of posts wondering why its there and if you should re-foam or not, its an opinion and i hope its taken that way.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 3:14pm
Eric, Extra foam high and dry under the decks and gunnels is all it takes for safety reasons. About 60 lbs of flotation for every cu. ft. of foam. If swamped, the hull may sit quite low in the water but it won't sink.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 7:24pm
Don't forget your noodles.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 3:31pm
How much foam is in these boats? Where is it located? Is the entire area between the floor and hull full of foam? Does anyone have a picture with the floor removed?

Thanks,

Matt
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 6:13pm
A LOT of members have posted pictures of their foamed floor, start searching. There is also foam sprayed underneath deck along the gunnels and in the bow.Look at skibum's photobucket page.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 10:26pm
I am thinking of leaving the foam out of the floor & putting it up under the bow & gunnels instead. I didn't see any connection to this in Skibum's photobucket but may have jsut missed it. If it's there, what pict # is it?

What kind of foam should I use & how to attach - adhesive?

Thanks, getting itchy to start cutting that floor (bad pun) as soon as the weather thaws.

Chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 10:43pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2008 at 11:00pm
Thanks much - something else to research this cold weekend!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 11:56am
Guys - Another question - should I be digging the foam from around & underneath the battery box? I reviewed photos of that area & it looks very tight with the air ducts right up against it. I thought about pulling the battery box out but have a way of cracking things when I pry on them.

I saw on TRBenj's project that he left the BB in, so I am wondering if it's a nesessary step - my floor has no soft spots that I can find.

Chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2008 at 12:00pm
if you dont you will always wonder...
78 Southwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78 Southwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 12:20am
I am also going to re-foam my boat. Did you find out where to get it foam and what type? Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:16am
Compliments of Pete:

handi-foam
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 11:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

handi-foam

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 78 Southwind 78 Southwind wrote:

I am also going to re-foam my boat. Did you find out where to get it foam and what type? Thanks

US Composites. I believe I used the 8lb density, but I think CC used the 2lb stuff.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2008 at 4:29pm
Fiberglass Coatings Inc. 3 locations in Fla.
1-800-272-7890 great customer service, I would price shop, but good customer service is a plus
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 2:20am
What's the best way to mix the 2 part foam, by hand with stick or with a stirrer in a drill motor? I've searched but there are so many references to foam my brain is starting to foam...maybee I need a foamy beverage.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 11:57am
there is no time with a drill, use a stick, mix a test sample to get a feel for the product
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 12:01pm
Pete at one time said the "blue" popcorn dissolves with water, if this is true it would be nice to put a layer against the hull and pour the foam on top of that and once the water hits it and dissolves you will have a nice air gap between the hull and the foam....just a thought
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

there is no time with a drill, use a stick, mix a test sample to get a feel for the product

OK thanks, it's getting warm lately so it's time get that foam in and finish the floor.
Bob Ed
83 2001
robman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 3:03pm
I am replacing my floor and I need to order some foam, how much foam will I need?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2008 at 3:21pm
Pour foam kits will typically yield 25 times the volume of the kit you buy. You will need to do some measuring of the space you want to fill and calculate. We also don't know what boat you are doing. The stuff isn't cheap so we don't want to over estimate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic