NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I must be INSANE

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I must be INSANE
    Posted: October-22-2007 at 10:38pm
I spent Saturday pulling the engine on the 81 BFN. I broke the engine down looking for the cause for water in the oil. I found nothing conclusive. I will put it away for now and will focus on the stringers and deck first. I could hardly control my gag reflex.
Here I go again.
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 10:40pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 10:41pm
hasbeenskier
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 10:46pm
Thats a great boat to start with, and I know when you get done, it will be better then new!
nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 10:54pm
That BFN looks awesome sitting on the trailer. That boat looks like it deserves a "hasbeenskier" restoration! Keep the photos coming BJ !

pc
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 11:40pm
BJ,

Is that the boat that was advertised sitting on a high lift and with a small block in it?

There is the before, can't wait to see the after! Good Luck!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

BJ,

Is that the boat that was advertised sitting on a high lift and with a small block in it?

Yes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 12:04am
Hollywood is correct. I brought it home from New Jersey to match up with the 81 Deluxe I had. Now look at me, no Deluxe and up to my ankles in rot. Furthermore, I will not get over it until she floats.
bj
hasbeenskier
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 11:26am
Did you get a compression test on that engine before you started tearing into her? I have had cracked cylinder walls that were pretty close to impossible to see with the naked eye.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 12:56pm
Joe...the engine was siezed up. But, the block looks good.
bj
hasbeenskier
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 1:19pm
Bj, That boat will look awesome when done. For some reason there seem to be a lot of 79 barefoots around but very few 80-81 models. Somewhat desirable to 81 freaks like you and I.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 1:26pm
Well if she is siezed up then shes gonna have to be broken down and magnafluxed anyway.

She looks like a beautiful candidate for a nice mild 350 hp stoker, if you were closer I might even volunteer to build it...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 6:15pm
Maybe a 514 ford, it would be aluminum so cooling shoulding be an issue.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 9:16pm
Alan,
Yeah, what is wrong with us? I will love it when it is done but I do not look forward to going to bed with fiberglas shards in my skin again. I am already dreaming up new approaches to the task ahead. Also, I have decided to fabricate and install an engine cradle like Ski Nautiques have.
I will keep you posted.
bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 9:23pm
JoeinNY and 87BFN
Don't put any ideas into my head. I am not a gear head by any means so the most I have considered at this point is to buy and install an new PCM Excalibur 330hp.
I am really looking to use the BFN as my cruiser, so high performance would be desirable but not absolutely necessary. I am always open to suggestions from others with knowledge, peppered with wisdom.
bj
hasbeenskier
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 9:35pm
The exterior looks to be in pretty good shape. Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure it will be better that new when you get it done. I always liked the look of that boat in the ad that Hollywood linked to.

Rob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 9:47pm
Rob,
Right, that is what hooked me. She is a sweet looking rig. When I got it home I found it was not in the structural condition it was represented as... but, I do not blame the seller. I do not think he knew what conditions existed below the surface. The boat belonged to his deceased father. My failure was driving from Florida to New Jersey for a boat. I knew before I went I would not come back empty handed. You would think at my age I would know better.
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 9:58pm
Hasbeen

I would think repowering with a 454 woould be easier than a new excaliber motor. To help keep the fiberglass out of your sjin I would suggest some teflon cover alls. We use them at work on really nasty jobs. I have not found anything that gets through them yet. They repel water, grease, and anything else you can think of.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 10:13pm
On the repowering side, since you already have the entire 351 platform in place, I vote for a mild 427 351 stroker. A 350-400 HP (you tell them what you want) engine that will have all the torque that you may occassionally want a BFN to demonstrate and not be the least bit tempermental. Externally it will be identical to your existing engine, but prettier of course, and re-use all of the most critical marinization parts and pieces, and run several grand cheaper than the Excal. If you're interested, I've got a great guy and a number for you, since Joe is too far away.

ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 10:22pm
Reid That motor set up would really make that boat move. Your favorite it would still have a blue oval in it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 10:46am
87BFN
Thanks for the tip. Generally speaking, here in central Florida it is toooooo hot to stay in any type of good cover for any protracted period of time. It is a matter of what is worst, heat stroke or skin irritation. It is what I hate the most about working on boats.

One more thing this BFN has a standard 351 type fiberglass engine cover found on the Ski Nautiques
bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 10:49am
Reid,
I receptive to your advice. I am going to pursue the structural repairs first and try to stay focused
hasbeenskier
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 11:25am
BJ,

To some extent any of us who own these old boats must be "insane," but it is the odd among us that keep life interesting, and something worth living.

BTW are you planning on replacing the stringers with wood or are you going to go with composites?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 11:36am
BUTM, here comes the knee pain
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 1:36pm
Chuck,
Greetings, I am 110% comitted to composites.

Eric,
Knees strong....Back baaaaaad
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 7:14pm
Hasbeen

When we use those cover alls at work, we use sweatbands that you soak in ice water before using them. That seems to help quite a bit and plenty of water.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic