NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RR Roller cams anyone ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
85nautiquematt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RR Roller cams anyone ?
    Posted: September-10-2007 at 4:08pm
Hey guys, I'm new to the site, think it's great and noticed many are adding GT40 heads for power increases on Ford 351. We'll here's another good boost in power for ya, Right rotation cams from LSM camshafts - contact owner Steve Lowe or his son, Steve Lowe Jr for technical info 248-674-4967. They make these cams often and will do any profile. Looks like $700 for a cam so it's not cheap but they can be had. Later 85.
Nothin like the sound of a mid 80's Nautique at mid throttle.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 5:44pm
Cool info and a much debated topic here. Do you know if they are ford specific? I have a chevy BB.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 12:14am
BBFN,
I forgot to ask about Chevy BB marine applications. They seemed very knowledgeable and answered all the questions I could come up with. I suggest calling them. In terms of Ford SB, if they have spools/blanks from previous runs it's a little less than I mentioned above. When I asked if they were familiar with RR SB Ford they said " we do those cams all the time". I don't have the funds to do this cam swap now but may be close as next summer approaches. Good Luck.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 8:49pm
Just got off the phone with the senior Steve. Well versed in all aspects of one offs, blocks , cranks whatever floats your boat or pushes your car...........
With a minimum order of 5 blanks SBF reverse rotation= $450.00 each/finished to your specs $675.00.
Matt you were real close on purchase price, thanks for the info........If I understand correctly he starts with a blank billet,material I know not.
He is fabbing a cam for an old Chris Craft now, all he had to go on was the old wiped out cam,said it was no big deal;just money............boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 8:58pm
I hope your just refering to the blank shape or general terms, never could read doctor's short hand anyway, bets the hell out of me how the phamacist do it,

I hear billet I think aluminum and I don't want no aluminum in my cam. Give me hard heat treated steel lobes please.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 10:00pm
What part did you not comprehend old wise one? He will build the blank, reverse cut distr. gear and ramp profile for the roller lifter. If I understood he starts with a blank stick{Billet} and machines the complete bump stick.Price is 450.00 for this, complete cam , your specs 675.00. Tell him what duration,lift and lobe separation you wish.
Minimum order of 5, price gets cheaper by the dozen ....boat dr
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:14am
Doc,
Did you remember to as if he does BBC's???
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:23am
somebody out there has to make a right rotation cam
"the things you own will start to own you"
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:38am
sounds like a group buy is in the cards!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 12:48pm
I suspect the blanks are billet steel. Rollers cams are typically steel.
The flat cams start with iron castings.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:02pm
A "billet" is a short bar of any metal. On the high end of material,they could be starting with a forged steel billet.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Price is 450.00 for this, complete cam , your specs 675.00. Tell him what duration,lift and lobe separation you wish. Minimum order of 5, price gets cheaper by the dozen

Let me get this straight:
Blank reverse rotation roller cam= $450
Ground reverse rotation roller cam= $675

How much does the price decrease with quantity? The price for a custom cam sure seems high- though Im not familiar with the costs of grinding a roller blank. $180 for a custom flat tappet cam and lifter set looks like a bargain in comparison!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 2:26pm
Tim, I am not rushing to send in my money. The small increase in friction ,flat VS roller,ain't worth the dollars.
He can build any thing ,SBC/BBC/SBF/BBF if you got the dime he got the time.........boat dr
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 4:41pm
Quigs85 noticed that the phone # to LSM cams was a 248 area code. That happens to be mine also, so I did some searching. They are located 4 miles from my house. I might be paying them a visit soon.

Here is their link

LSM Systems

Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 4:48pm
Small world it is tullfooter. that barefooting race vidoe was inspiring. I need to hold off on the roller cam, lifters and rockers for a few months, I just started a new sales job and my wife had some other plans for some of the funds. Maybe this spring though. then again sometimes when a motor is running so good, you don't want to mess with it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 4:54pm
I know what you mean about messing with a good running engine. But did you notice the boat to our left in the video? That's Rob's BFN. He took off as if he was not pulling any footers. I'd love to have that kind of get-up-and-go when needed (and it's always needed).
I hope to do something over the winter.

Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

I hope to do something over the winter.

Me too! With all the discussion about oil contents and the efficiency gained, I think I'll go that way. Expensive, yes...but I intend to keep this boat for a long time. Please count me in if a group discount comes up.

Tull, looking forward to your comments after stopping by!
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 6:02pm
"But did you notice the boat to our left in the video? That's Rob's BFN. He took off as if he was not pulling any footers"

lefty - I did notice that.. you did have six guys in the boat also.. I'm sure the right cam, lifters and rockers could supply 60-80 more hp easy. If I can sell my 68 GTO maybe I can steal some funds and get some goodies. It's always nice to have more power on tap.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 7:16pm
Tullfooter-
What suburb do you live in around Detroit? I just moved down to Jax, FL from Ferndale. Man, do I miss all the fresh water. And I know I will miss the snow too, believe it or not!!
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2007 at 9:57pm
azeus
We live in White Lake, 10 miles west of Pontiac.
I know what you mean about the fresh water and snow. My family and I are way into snowboarding. We also race go-carts on the lake in front of my house. I don't know if I could survive without a couple months of cold weather.
I know the southern boys will chime in on that.
We do hit Florida, or further south, at least once during the winter
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 1:13am
Helps to break the winter up here in WI by doing some winter sports. A little sledding and duking it out on anylake agaist my bro - we each run identical ATC 200x three wheelers, set up some cones, run some 10 lap races and see who's the better man.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic