Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yellowing Gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellowing Gelcoat
    Posted: May-07-2007 at 10:20pm
I have a 89 ski nautique, it is in near mint condition & hardly ever sits in the sun. The gelcoat is yellowing on the top surfaces. What causes this? Is there any way to get it off? Thanks
------- They are only original once! ------
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:29am
Try a power buffer with a color restoring compound. Worked great for my 79 Ski Tique. I don't know what causes the yellowing but the buffer and combound was the fix. Leaves it with a like new shing as well.
Work to live, not live to work.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 8:14am
I would try a small area with one of the acid based hull cleaners before buffing, sometimes that yellow wipes right off.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:10am
I had the same problem. Hull cleaner and buffing wouldnt touch the color, though they did restore the shine. My solution involved wetsanding the deck down to 320 grit.

Ive shared my methods and the products I used on here before- just do a search if youre interested.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:31am
Hey Tim, I've seen the pictures in your first posting but didn't notice the chemical toilet outside the window. Is your shop out in the woods or whats the deal!! I've always done what bears do in the woods!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Hey Tim, I've seen the pictures in your first posting but didn't notice the chemical toilet outside the window. Is your shop out in the woods or whats the deal!! I've always done what bears do in the woods!

Ha- you talking about the garbage cans? Thats my parents garage in CT- Im from a smaller (pop. 8,000) rural town but its not exactly out in the woods. Believe it or not, we do have indoor plumbing!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:08am
That's a garbage can? looks like a toilet seat on top of it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thephantomkaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:11am
I bought some stuff on ebay called "gelcoat restore." It did a great job! It removed the "cloudyness" and restored the shine! I don't know how long it will last though?
~Michael~
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:24am

That's a garbage can? looks like a toilet seat on top of it!

Thats the lid from the tan can on top of the green one.

Id be hesitant to go with any of those so-called miracle color restorers like Poliglo (I assume the ebay stuff would work similarly). They add material to the surface to improve the shine, rather than removing the faded, oxidized gel. Either way, that type of stuff is only good for restoring shine, not color. The only way to bring back the original color is to sand off the faded gel, then buff it to a shine.
Thephantomkaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thephantomkaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:32am
Yeah like I said.. I am not sure how long it will last... but I guess it was a good quick fix. TRB, Do you think it will make the oxidation worse in the long run?
~Michael~
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Thephantomkaw Thephantomkaw wrote:

Yeah like I said.. I am not sure how long it will last... but I guess it was a good quick fix. TRB, Do you think it will make the oxidation worse in the long run?

Im certainly no gelcoat expert, but I doubt it. Im guessing it acts like a sealer, so protecting the gelcoat from the elements would still be better than nothing. Might want to ask an expert though.
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:31pm
89 2001, I sympathize with your yellowing gelcoat. While my 89 is not in mint condition, it too has a yellowing gelcoat problem. I recently realized how much when I removed the bow vinyl.
I can only assume wet sanding will resolve the problem, but who has the time.
Tim (TRBenj) did a great job on his as well as others here. I hope to have the time and stamina to do mine at some point.
Take the time and research wet sanding within this site. Many great successes, and lots of good info. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:47pm
Wet sanding will not bring the gel back to it's virgin color that you find under vinyl graphics. It's the reason I had to re gel my entire transom from the previous owners naming the boat. Also the reason I had to have the larger pre 80 "since" decals made. By the way, They aren't selling like I thought they would!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:55pm

Wet sanding will not bring the gel back to it's virgin color that you find under vinyl graphics.

I dont know about that. The reason I decided to wetsand in the first place was because I pulled up a few original warning stickers, exposing bright white gel underneath. Now you'd have a tough time telling where those stickers were originally placed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 1:22pm
Tim, Which boat? the 90 or the 78. I'm refering to my 77 and trust me I got up to wet sanding with 320 and got to a point that I was afraid of sanding through the gel! If it was on your 90, didn't they have a different type of resin?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:08pm

Tim, Which boat? the 90 or the 78. I'm refering to my 77 and trust me I got up to wet sanding with 320 and got to a point that I was afraid of sanding through the gel! If it was on your 90, didn't they have a different type of resin?

Im talking about the '90. I spent a lot of time last summer/spring bringing the gel on the top deck back into shape. I know CC switched up the type of gelcoat sometime in the 80's- Ive heard 86 or 87, so its likely different from our Tiques. I believe the original poster's '89 should be the same as my '90 though.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 7:53pm
320 grit to wet sand? How thick is the gel sprayed at the factory? I would guess no more than 25mils. By the time you get all the sand scratches out, there won't be much gel thickness left. Maybe it's more than 25mils..does anyone know??? Scott
Scott
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:16pm
seems a bit extreme, but if its beat to piss then i guess you got no choice
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:25pm
I have now completed one side of my 89 wet sand process. Similar to TRB's comments, I would think that you would be hard pressed to identify where my old vinyl decals were. I too used 320 grit to restore the colour & worked up from there.

Of note though, I still have not been able to restore the white to the colour under the vinyl.
89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 12:18am
TRBenj, will I have to worry about sanding or buffing through? Also, what kind of compound did you use. I appreciate all of the replies!
------- They are only original once! ------
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 8:27am
Originally posted by 89Nautique2001 89Nautique2001 wrote:

TRBenj, will I have to worry about sanding or buffing through? Also, what kind of compound did you use. I appreciate all of the replies!

Dont sand any more than you have to.   I couldnt tell you exactly how far is too far- but I didnt have any issues with sanding through. The gel is pretty darn thick.

I posted my methods and products in this thread.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 8:29am
Originally posted by scott8370 scott8370 wrote:

320 grit to wet sand? How thick is the gel sprayed at the factory? I would guess no more than 25mils. By the time you get all the sand scratches out, there won't be much gel thickness left. Maybe it's more than 25mils..does anyone know??? Scott

I couldnt tell you exactly- hopefully someone else will know. Looking at the holes I have drilled through my deck though, Id say its at least twice that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic