Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

paint shaver pro . is it worth the $

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: paint shaver pro . is it worth the $
    Posted: December-30-2006 at 10:53am
Has anyone used a paint shaver pro to remove gelcoat. It looks good but is it worth the money? $700 for everything   Farmer
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2006 at 11:14am
Farmer,

Not familiar with that device. I would think carefully about DavidF's advise. He's done an awful lot of this with very good results.

On a side note, my neighbor was a body man for 20 years. Specialized in Corvettes. He did a 98 Air Nautique which had been run up on the rocks in Tahoe. He used the tools of his trade (DAs, plane sanders, etc.) and also got good results. BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2006 at 11:40am
Farmer, if you were going to do that for a living its probably recomendable, for one time use i dont think it would justify the cost. a good air type low rpm grinder is what we use to strip corvettes and thick paint. even if you bought rolls and rolls of 36 grit and a good DA (hutchins) it wouldnt equal the 7 beans for the shaver, plus a DA always comes in handy.   Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 11:27am
The only tool I'm familiar with is the Porter Cable 7403 which is basicly a rotary sander that was designed to remove paint from bevel or drop siding on houses. It has wheels on it so it depth of removal can be controled. Is this the tool you are reffering to?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 7:18pm
No,the tool I'm talking about is sold by American International Tool industries and is called "paint shaver pro" or "marine shaver pro" same tool, just a different use. This one uses carbide bits(3) to do the cutting.Nice tool but it is pretty expensive. I'm in the process of designing my own version with the help of a neighborhood "mechanical genious". Should be fun. Here's the web address:

http://www.paintshaver.com/marineshaver.html
They have a good video that shows the tool in use. Farmer
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:33pm
Just finished the tool today.Don't know how well it works yet but I will try it as soon as the weather cooperates.I'll post some pictures of it if I can ever get my camera back from my son!     Farmer
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:44pm
I just learned figured out that I could put a resin backing pad on my electric grinder and use sanding disks. A 36 grit disk chews through gelcote with a quickness. Takes a delicate touch then followup with an orbital sander (and bondo in some places). But costs about 15 bucks. I am sure the paint shaver pro is a much better way to do things.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 7:18am
I use a rotaty air not orbital, with a 10 inch or so adhesive, it works beautifully on removing, shaping and so on, it works well on wood also,
farmer that must be some type of planer?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:38am
I must say that video on the site looks like magic, at least on the flat areas. Farmer let us know how it works, and what your weekly rental rate for your good friends here at CCF will be.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 8:42pm
Here are some pictures of my home made gelcoat remover.It took about two hours to strip the bottom of my mustang 17 but there is still a lot of finish work to do as seen in the picture of the boat bottom. Farmer

the picture of the bottom makes it look smoother than it actually is but not bad.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 9:59pm
That is pretty awesome. The right tool really makes a big difference. I spent an hour grinding then sanding to get a 3ft by 6ft section of my boat. You have a patent on that thing?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 11:20pm
That picture of the mustang just freaks me out I know that the end result will look great, just at this stage it's scary. Farmer, I get tired just looking at all that work, Good Luck Keep the pics coming, I love to watch the progress.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:46am
The tool I got the idea from is patented but it is much more refined and I'm sure works better than mine does.This one is good but I kept making grooves on the exposed fibergla$$ from the previous pa$$.You can see the head of a bolt in the lower right of the first picture that I added after I was almost done.It helped but I'd have to try something a little better if I was going to use this thing all the time. JoeinNY was right.It only works on flat or gently convex areas.I don't think it will work at all on the sides of the mustang.   Farmer
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:51am
Looks like if you added a couple more screws it would help with the depth control, nice job saved you a bunch of time. Keep us posted.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:58am
Wow, I agree, that is a scary lookin picture!
Looks like lotsa work.
BTW: what is that ugly looking white stuff along the driveway? Looks nasty as well.

john

PS to 79: See you at the ramp.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 9:54am
jbear,winter gives us time to work on our boats and not feel bad that we're not out on the water.   farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 10:39am
Gary we'll let you know how the water was later today, mid to upper 70's and John's new hot rod should be fun.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 11:14am
Farmer, nice job making the tool, Good ole Yankee Ingenuity I don't know how you guy down south do it. I use the winter to get caught up on all my "Honey Dos" before I get the boats out. Once the boats are out, no more "honey dos"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 12:33pm
hey farmer 2 hours to strip..........20000 to paint   lol   eric   nice job
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 4:13pm
Why is everybody always trying to rain on my parade?   Farmer
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 6:47pm
cool thing to do!!!....pretty neat tool
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:08pm
Farmer, what's next?
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:12pm
I am taking off the gel only to the waterline.The rest of the gel should clean up much nicer than I could do with my limited talent.My plan is to build coats of epoxy starting with CPES and finishing with epoxy mixed with thickeners to fair the surface.I have a friend with a spray booth who will shoot the epoxy with awlgrip or something similar. No more blisters.I will hide most of the seam under the stripe along the side.Does anyone see any problems with this plan? I am open to suggestions.   Farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:20am
If your going to paint it and not use gel-kote then you won't have any blisters again, but if you spray gel-kote back on then you might get blisters again at some point.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:56am
Im not a big fan of Gel coat either, Gel coat has a purpose, it is used as a mold release when the hull is manufactured.
they make amazing products to paint boats, my first choice would be base coat clear coat,The clears nowadays have UV protecters in it and holds up well. anything that says marine on it is twice the price for the same product.
Allgrip great but so is the price, Imron is also very durable.....
anyone else?....
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:07am
Eric, I gotta go with the Imron,have one white and one yellow. The yellow is ten years old and still shines and looks as good as day one, and has had a lot of salt water time.
The down side about that stuff is it's bad ,or should I say not "GREEN".Harmful to anything that eats,breaths or walks, but any two part epoxy coatings are......boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:19am
alot also depends what the owner wants and how he will take care of the boat over the next 10 or so years.. im with you for durability BD i would use the Imron.
For looks i would go bc/cc, that gives you the oppertunity to stripe her and clear over decals if any. remember there are cheap clears and good clears. cars hold up well in the sun as will a boat
I vote no on the gel coat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:23am
Farmer, Since you are putting on the CPES and thickened epoxy the chances of getting blistering are slim if you put the gel back on. Since you are coating with the epoxy, check into the barrier coat addatives. In the WEST system, it's their # 422. I'm going to lean towards putting the gel back on.

Great job so far. Love how you made the removal tool with the angle grinder!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:48am
Anytime i see that word West i think get out the checkbook
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 6:27pm
I was thinking of having a sign painter do the stripe and lettering.Can I clear coat over the entire side including the remaining gelcoat?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic