NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

paint shaver pro . is it worth the $

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Farmer, Since you are putting on the CPES and thickened epoxy the chances of getting blistering are slim if you put the gel back on.

that's not true, it will have no barring what so ever whether it will blister or not. Blistering is all in the gel-kote and has nothing to do with the fibergla$$ underneth (sp) it. Water will pa$$ thru the gel and gets' stopped by the fibergla$$ and if it cannot pa$$ back thru the gel-kote then it will blister again.

Not trying to be a prick or anything that's just how blisters occur and it can occur on any boat at any time, makes no difference of the material used or processed used to apply the gel-kote. Your best defense is keeping the hull clean and free of wax and not letting it sit in the water for extended periods of time and if you do leave it in the water for extended periods you really need to scrub the hull often to keep it clean from scum and algee that could trap water in the gel-kote.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:07pm
quick question...i know a few people down here on my lake had their entire nautiques re gel koted, different colors some same etc...i never knew you could paint the whole boat...is paint a lot cheaper?...can you paint over existing gel kote?...im getting ideas!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:08pm
ohhh yea forgot price point...range from 4800 to 6800....bill marshall did a few eric...
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 6:48pm
79nautique,I agree with part of your blister explanation but not all.Yes the water does eventually pa$$ through the gel and cannot readily pa$$ back out again.But the reason has everything to do with what's underneath the gelcoat and not the gelcoat itself.The water collects in voids and dissolves unreacted resin.This forms an acid that attracts more water and eventually builds up enough pressure to cause a blister because like you said,the acid/water will not pa$$ back through.And from what I've read,you're also right about the possibility of blistering over epoxy although to a much lesser extent.   Farmer
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 7:46pm
I've never heard of the water reacting with the epoxy resin. So if I read you right then it's that some uncured/poorly cured section of resin activating with the water causing the issue. Ok I'll by that it must be the presence of extra hydrogen molcules kicking off the resin again creating the pressure, not a chemist but sounds logical. Good line of bullsh*t if it isn't anyway. It's like the sign my dad has in his office, if you can't dazzle them with brillence (sp) baffle them with bullsh*t.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 8:04pm
Why do you think they call me farmer????
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 7:28am
because you wear overalls?

ryan your in the range
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 7:30am
Farmer you can clear over anything, except oil
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 8:03am
Eric, I should have said Mas and not West. Now you won't need to get out the check book!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pmallinson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmallinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 12:05am
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

Here are some pictures of my home made gelcoat remover.It took about two hours to strip the bottom of my mustang 17 but there is still a lot of finish work to do as seen in the picture of the boat bottom. Farmer

the picture of the bottom makes it look smoother than it actually is but not bad.

Hi

I'm also needing to strip the pint from my 20' fibre glass boat as its been brush painted by previous owner and looks a mess. I have attacked a small area but good God its thick and well stuck it'll take me a year to do it by hand scraping and sanding.
Hence I was also looking at the Marine Shaver but not only do they want $660 but also $150 for P&P to Ireland !!
I cannot See your photo's on this posting so could you please email me your home made stripper so I can get some ideas to make my own if need be please.

Peter Mallinson
Kenmare Southern Ireland
www.sheenview.com
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 7:28pm
pmallinson, I've sent you pictures to your e-mail address. Good luck with your project. You are not alone.   Farmer
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 10:28pm
I finally started to apply the epoxy bottom repair. I think I may have made a mistake by grinding off some crystalized fiberglass along the edges. It's going to take a little more work than thought to build them back up but it's do-able.

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2007 at 11:23pm
Looking good, I can't wait to see it when you get it finished.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 12:27am
Watch your fingers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic