NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Power Valve

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Valve
    Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:54pm
64:

Your problem is very indicative of an air leak in your fuel line ahead of the pump. If your pump is sucking air into the fuel line, it will starve the carb of fuel. When you back off, you are allowing the pump to catch up with demand. I suggest you start at the tank and make sure the fuel line clamps and hose are in perfect condition. A line that is sucking air will not necessarily leak any fuel out, so look over everything...especially at the fuel line tank fitting or any inline fuel filter you have ahead of the pump.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:52am
SS,

let me know where to send the beer.

12 Deg at idle.

13" vacuum from the Solid Lifter cam....lighter springs did the trick. Just throw the throttle down all the way with or without a skiier and she's a monster. Re-built 289 HiPo running to 5000 RPM with some left over...no big deal there...it's how it pulls to 3000 RPM that really makses it feel "CORRECT".

With heavy springs the metering rods weren't being pulled down into the jet so the adjustment at idle took place with the rods out of the jet. Probably the reason for the idle mixtures screws set almost all the way in.

I'll give her a few tanks of gas and check plug color.

Thanks for all your help!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 8:22am
OK...give me a while and I'll let you know what turns up. The information you gave on the Fule Pressure, Cams and vacuum is great and will let me know where I stand in relation to the springs. I have not checked fuel pressure (new pump) and it does get hot under the hood (I recently installed 2 - 4" blowers and connected the hood scoops to help) I did refer to 12 Deg at idle...I notice that the Hydraulic Cam 289's used 6-9 Deg, but my engine won't hardly run at 6 so I went back to 12 deg.

Just me in the boat and WOT is the same result.

Thanks SS....Hope I can return the favor!
64 Skier
71CC
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 7:39am
First, put the vacumn guage on to see what you have at idle, a stock cam should be 18 inches mild cam will be 15 ,16,inches. and so on. If you are pulling a load the vacumn will be as low as 2-4 pulling a constant load.
You don't say what the cam specs are however you have high cylinder pressure.
Timming should be at least 32 degrees at 3000,you may have meant 12 at idle. The advance at idle will be whatever, giving the condition of the springs controling the weights.The most important is the full out timming.
If all these issues are correct it sounds to me like you are running out of fuel and when you back off it gets a chance to refill the bowl. Check fuel pressure should under a load at least 5-6 lbs. It may not be supplying enough fuel.
The carburetor boats get really hot under the engine cover and have a tendacy to boil the fuel, sometime causing a vapor lock. If this the case slpit the metal fuel line going to the carb and put a piece of rubber fuel line in.
The timming is a issue, fuel pressure is a issue. Take them one at a time and keep a record of what you do. Hope this helps, question what does the boat do with just you in the boat at WOT.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 11:01pm
SS201,

Thanks, I'll keep working the issues.

Jameski...sorry to butt in, but theoretically I thought we had the same problem.

SS...My engine is newly re-built 289 from 1963. Original Solid Lifter cam (dimension's were still good) so I timed her at 12 Deg. Full advance at 3000 RPM. Engine compression is an even 165 on all eight with valves adjusted at 0.020" lash. New MSD electronic ignition. Original 12RH14 Prop. Clean Tank with 93 Octane. New Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM Carb on a Performer Intake. New Fuel Filter set-up. New plugs, wires etc etc. I've got the Edelbrock "strip kit" and vacuum gauge for round two.....

Pulling a skiier at WOT she'll run up to 3000 RPM and then fall to 2500 and I have to throttle back in order to regain speed and power. If I "feather" up to 3000 RPM she pulls pretty hard but when you hard throttle the problem begins.

I probably need to just crawl back in the boat and start round two, but would like a few more heads/ideas before I start again. The old HP Cam may be a very low vacuum and thus the problem.

It's still fun though....every thing working is a boring situation!

64 Skier
71CC
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 9:01am
If you have a lot of angle, a wedge will help, however you have other issues, I am sure you at one time or another this boat has run good.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 8:41am
64 Skier,
Remember this if the engine needs a tune or perfoms improperly it will and does effcect the performance of the carburetor. I would address this issue first.
First which carb do you have, 650 or 750? It's been a while since I used one, so bear with me. Start first with the float levels, then check your fuel pressure, at least 5 lbs no mre than 6. It almost sounds that you are running out of fuel in the rear or too much.However it can be a host of other problems.The springs you allude to are to lift the rods off the jets, the rods are taperd to allow the fuel to increase. This is for acceleration and stumbling on acceleration.Then you get into rod and jet changes. The rear jets control the ultimate fuel supply.
The rear plates are opened by a counter weight not vacumn as a Holley.
To play with this carb you need to buy a kit, however if this carb was stock and not altered it should be ok., they are pretty much on the moeny. If you bought this new the manuel that come has ample enough info.
Again I would put some gas additive in to read the plug to see whats going on.
hope this helps without being there tough to trouble shoot.

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 12:14am
SS201,

My Edelbrock is stumbling. It accellerates up to 3000 and then loses RPM and falls back to 2500. I then have to reduce throttle to regain speed.

I thought the rear jets (0.101) were too large, but smaller jets behaved the same so I guess it's the Primaries and engine vacuum.

My next step is to record vacuum and change springs???

How was your Edelbrock set-up?

Does yours load fuel under the Secondaries counterbalance weights? I don't have a wedge...do I need one?

64 Skier
71CC
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 7:38am
The formula is at least 2 inches of vacumn below the highest vacumn reading at idle. Depemding on the weight,size, etc, most marine carbs are 6.5 or 8.5. Depending on your own situation, and engine setup, and propeller it can vary. That's why you should use a vacumn guage to set up.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 7:31am
Yes I have, they are great, just like the old AFB series.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 1:19am
anyone running the new Edelbrock Marine Carb?
64 Skier
71CC
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2004 at 1:55am
A #6 machine screw inserted in the secondary cam arc just in front of the linkage rod always worked for me on a Holley. it's a lot easier than replacing a power valve, and you can adjust when you want the secondaries to kick in. It doesn't matter if they are mechanical of vaccum.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2004 at 7:24pm
It really doesn't matter what stock is, the question is what do you have and what does the engine need for your apllication. With a 2.5 you will have a hard time opening the secondary's if they are vacume sec. and not mech. Use a 6.5 with 66 jets and run it stock. If it isn't stock then you need to change the jets and leave the power valve alone
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2004 at 6:06pm
My carb is a N.O.S. Holley 4160 list #75009-1

When I called the Holley tech line, they said the original powervalve was a 6.5 for my carb, but I don't know what the original carb was.

Does anyone know????
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2004 at 9:29pm
I've noticed that some of us use 2.5" Hg. Is that standard for the 4160 on a 351? It sounds really low
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2004 at 2:38pm
What is the formula for sizing the power valve on a marine holley 4BBL carb?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic