NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dilemma.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 4:06pm
I agree with the Perfect Pa$$ before a tower option especially if you already have an extended pylon. Towers are nice for the extra storage room and provide a bit more solid pull helping load the rope betterbut its not going to get you closer to landing your inverts. Couldn't live without my perfect pa$$ though, once you have perfect you can't go back...

Dank,
    The previous owner had the cover on my 2001 modified to fit around the extended pylon, and it works out really well. I could take a picture of it if your interested.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 4:00pm
Pivot point with an extended pylon is lower (below the floor), therefore you get more leverage when pulling on the lever, which is the pylon. The tower's pivot point is at the level of the gunnel, so not as much leverage, which equals less rock. How much less is still a question, because an arguement can be made that the sides of the hull act as an extension of the tower, leading down to the same pivot point as the pylon (the keel). I still think that the shorter lever provides less leverage. Anyway, I would never put a tower on my 78 nautique, so I just do not pull out so far when using my skylon.
Just my 2 cents.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 3:37pm
I've had this debate before as to weather a tower lists less than a pole.   At it's simplest level, I agree that if the attach point is at the same, the forces should be the same. Still, in the back of my mind, I can't help but believe when you move from a single point of attachment at the floor, to a 4 or six point contact at the gunnel, and distribute the loads over a wider area, there must be some difference. However, it's been 25 years since I studied physics, and I'm not smart enough to figure it out any more.

Antidotally, I've driven and ridden the same model boats with tower and pole. It sure seems to me like the the pole rocks the boat more. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 2:42pm
I board with a skylon and I'd like a tower, but like the others I don't think it would make much difference in the boat listing and I don't think it would improve my boarding (essentially the same pull point as the skylon). I would want a tower for:

1) looks
2) currently rope gets caught on my boards in the board rack on the skylon
3) can mount speakers and lights on a tower
4) could fashion cover around a tower...right now I remove the skylon when putting the boat up
5) tower mounted anchor light would be cool

However...if I was going to drop a grand on my boat, I'd probably put perfect pa$$ on it before a tower :)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 2:34pm
I thought that too, and you guys are probobly right. I heard a guy on the Pull TV show say that and since I've never ridden behind a tower I really had no basis for comparison. Maybe the ext. pole is sufficient.
Tate
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 9:21am
I would second that a tower isn't going to change the load on the hull and will still list to the side in either case.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2006 at 8:11am
Tate, I don't see how a tower will prevent you from listing during a side cut. The rope will still be pulled from approx. the same location attached to the same base platform (the boat). We try to not pull out so far and increase our cut just before the wake, helps reduce the list.
Tate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 11:22pm
Y'all help me out. I think I want a tower on my 80 Martinique. I'm trying to progress on my wakeboard. I've been riding for a few years behind an extesion pole but I hear the quality of the ride is a lot better behind a tower. (Boat doesn't lyst on hard cuts) Is that going to ruin the vintage feel and look of the boat? I know it's a moving anachronism on an '80 but I really think I want one. Anybody have any feedback on this?
Tate
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic