Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 Ski Nautique with Chevy 454?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ThomasH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 Ski Nautique with Chevy 454?
    Posted: February-09-2006 at 12:29am
Can any tell me whether any 1983 Ski Nautiques were ever produced with a 454 motor as original equipment? I know some of the Barefoots came out with a 454, but have never seen a Ski Nautique. Thanks in advance
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 4:57am
Yup
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 8:12am
There are a handful out there, but they are pretty rare.

Here's one with a 454
Life is Good.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 8:22am
The diary entry above confirmed a feeling that I had. I skied behind a 454 once (not a CC, so I attributed it to that). It had a huge wake. Barefoot crossings were tough. I was surprised engine weight could make that much difference. So, again, based on the diary entry above and my experience, ThomasH, if you are looking for a skiing wake, you might want to keep that in mind. Does anyone else have a confirming or differing opinion? Of course, if you are just looking to go wakeboarding, could be just right.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 8:50am
The 2001 with the 425hp engine and tall barefoot pylon was a very desirable barefoot boat and all-around boat cabaple of 52-55 mph.

At one time there where 3 on our one lake and there are two still on it, so I'm not certain that are that rare, its that they don't get sold often.

Barefoot wake crossings were fine at 85' its just they are not tournament capable because the wake is tripple-peaky at 75' as expected.

The 1-foot and backward wake crossings were easier then the barefoot and excel boats because the table is not nearly as high.

Of course it turns flatter like a ski-boat.

The ski wake was higher than the sb boats but if you skied in front of the rooster the difference was minimal, as well as anything 36 mph or faster. 30mph slalom is high but ok if the boat is lightly loaded.

The height one can get on tricks and wakeboards is quite nice.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 2:30pm
Wouldn't the 454 absolutely suck down the fuel? A healthy 351 pulls real nice and is fairly forgiving at the gas pumps. Pros and cons to everything I guess.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2006 at 6:12pm
Yes.My neighbor has an 83 with a Big Block 454.It was special order.I have also seen an 83 with a Big Block 440 Mopar as well.
ThomasH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 3:20am
Thanks for the information. Will then make a trip to take a look at my prospective next purchase. 1983 Ski Nautique 2001 with 454 block it is, then. Hoping it is original motor.
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 8:22am
Here is an 85 with BBC power. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Ski-Nautique-2001-454cu-330hp_W0QQitemZ4612772623QQcategoryZ63686QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 9:16am
That '85 has seen better days!
ThomasH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 12:29am
Just w.r.t. Nautique2001's comments about gas usage...

Wouldn't a heavily weighted 454 possibly use less gas than a heavily weighted 351? Seems like you'd have to push the 351 a bit more than the 454, which might then give you worse fuel consumption... Never mind long-term effects of pushing the motor harder.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 6:01pm
I have a 87 BFN and I find the wake very skiable at 34MPH on a 75 foot rope.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by ThomasH ThomasH wrote:

Wouldn't a heavily weighted 454 possibly use less gas than a heavily weighted 351? Seems like you'd have to push the 351 a bit more than the 454, which might then give you worse fuel.

if your talking about weight for boarding there both going to suck it in, the 454 might have a slight advantage might use 5 bucks less.
NECC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NECC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2006 at 8:02pm
The 83 SN could be had with a 454 2 Bolt Mains 350hp or a unadvertised option of a 454 HO 4 Bolt Mains 425hp. The first engine was the most popular choice mainly because the additional cost of the HO model was about 3k over the 350 hp model.

And yes, these engines did burn all of the gas in the tank.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 2:23am
Hey NECC, you will be an awesome addition to this forum. I hope you stick around and keep posting...

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 7:03am
Ya that knuckel head from PN really doesn't post here much once in a blue moon.

We always could use another knowledge person that can work on boats and knows the differences in the models/options over the years.
CCxHYPERLITEx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCxHYPERLITEx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2006 at 1:27pm
my ski nautique has a 454 because when the original owner bought it he wanted a bigger engine so ours is like a barefoot nautique w/ ski nautique emblems
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 10:46am
Originally posted by CCxHYPERLITEx CCxHYPERLITEx wrote:

my ski nautique has a 454 because when the original owner bought it he wanted a bigger engine so ours is like a barefoot nautique w/ ski nautique emblems

close but no cigar, take a look at the 83 brochure in the reference section and you can see there is quite a bit of difference in the hulls.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
NECC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NECC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 6:03pm
81Nautique is right..

The BFN was a full deep vee hull with about 20 degrees of dead rise.

The 2001 SN hull is a modified vee hull with the outer parts of the hull being flat and the vee was in the center keel only.

2 totally different hulls designed for 2 different purposes.
Dominique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2006 at 9:59pm
If it is all about fuel useage, leave it at the dock.Having pulled several experienced skiiers out of the water skiing slalom, at one time, there is no substitute for tourque. Horsepower is just a number. No need for Perfect Pa$$ {other than the timer} for the course. Set the throttle at thirtysix, and don't touch it. My boat is a Dominique, and has a bigger wake than a Nautique but it helps seperate the men from the boys. Definitely not a tournament boat, but stll nice to have. I have never seen a Corect Craft that didn't have enough power, and power takes fuel!
Dominique "Nobody's Business"
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2006 at 7:13pm
I feel the same way, you can make more money to pay for the gas. But you will never be able to buy the memories you get from the gas you used.
Birney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2006 at 2:11pm
I have a friend that has an 83 with a 454. It was originally a Sea World Tow Boat
Birney
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic