NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What years did the offer the 4 cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 12:06pm
I've got a pair of rough re upholstered/rebuilt bucket seats, side panels and rear seat from a Barracuda if you want to come to Maine and get them. They will be going to the dump by end of July along with the hull.

Your boat looks great. It's very similar to our 66 Mustang.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 12:08pm
Bruce, what seats are those? Got pictures? I thought the frames used in the Cuda and Stang were different heights.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 12:20pm
Tim, they are the seats out of the blue '67 Cuda from Sanbornville we picked up last winter. The one that had been for sale and I'd been calling on since about 2002. You've sent me links to it in the past. We finally got the guy to budge off his price. They are all rebuilt and have terrible upholstery, but are solid. I never realized the bucket seat from the 60's were different, if that is the case. I thought the same buckets were used for their whole line.
This is the best picture I have:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 12:47pm
Well the buckets in your Mustang are certainly original, so you have a great reference point- so perhaps I am misremembering! I could have sworn you and I had discussed this previously. I thought some (or all?) Cudas had aluminum frames that the seats sat on, whereas the Mustang seats sat right on the floor. The Cudas sure seem like deeper boats up front.

Or maybe it was just the split bench seats that got the aluminum frames? Or maybe the picture I have in my head is of a boat whose seats had been replaced with the 70's style? I cant find the one Im thinking of, but it sort of looks like this:

Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 1:04pm
Tim I don't think you are misremembering. I've seen Cudas with a higher back rest. An example is the 1965 in Glen Falls NY in the diaries. The was also a blue one somewhere on this sight. My 1965 cylinder buckets looked like Bruce's.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 1:11pm
The buckets in our Mustang are not original. They came out of Peter Connolly's Skylark and they were not original to it either. They are shorter and than the originals and have thinner seat cushions. We have the originals that came with the boat, but they need reupholstering. They look the same as all the wood buckets from the 60's that I've seen. I believe the metal frames started in 1968. That blue Cuda I'd say is a late 67/early 68 as it has 68 rear vents, metal front seat frames like a 68, but in dash gauges and the Merc wheel like a 67. I believe by the end of 68 Cudas had a dash panel for their gauges, metal seat frames and the wood grain wheel.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:28am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You dont want or need a donor boat for the interior, unless youre talking about the fiberglass stern seat base? I am not sure those were used on the early Mustangs though.

Prior to late '68 (or early '69), the front seats were built using wood frames. The plans for them are on the site somewhere.

For some reason I thought they were fiberglass, I will have to do some investigation then and if not I can always find that pattern and make my own. Thank you for the heads up. I was just looking to getting a few parts off the other boat like emblems, light hardware ....etc.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've got a pair of rough re upholstered/rebuilt bucket seats, side panels and rear seat from a Barracuda if you want to come to Maine and get them. They will be going to the dump by end of July along with the hull.

Your boat looks great. It's very similar to our 66 Mustang.

I might take the buckets, not sure I would road trip it maybe just pay shipping if your going to throw them a way Thank you, it's coming along I should know a little more info on the spec in a few days, I have someone looking up the M number.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:35am
The bow light for your boat comes up on ebay pretty regularly. The scripts are rare, but Art Cozier has been having some reproduced, so you may want to contact him. Are there holes in your bow deck where chocks used to be? If so, those are still available and made by Perko.

I can pull the seats out this week end and take pictures.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:42am
I've been browsing for the bow light and looking in the Chris Craft parts section as they sometimes used the same components. Art is actually looking up the boat Hull ID number for me, so I will be in contact with him about the scripts also, thank you for the heads up. I was actually just browsing them the other day, they look amazing. It doesn't look there were chocks on this boat but, bimini hardware that someone added that I need to remove.   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:45am
Check here for the drawings on the 60's wood based seats... they were definitely used in Mustangs and Ski Nautiques. Maybe Barracudas too- Bruce can confirm!

Reverse Engineered 60's seats

The fiberglass buckets youre thinking of werent offered until 1969. While they wouldnt be appropriate in your new turquoise Mustang, I know your family has several Stangs with them. I have recreated 2 different versions of the buckets used from '69-75, if you ever have a pressing need.

fiberglass buckets
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 11:01am
Thank you for the link TRBenj, much appreciated. It looks like I am going to have to get busy reading and doing some wood work soon. Also, I have not looked yet or confirm but, I'm almost a 100% positive it didn't come with side panels is there any way to get the sides smooth before paint ? I was just thinking of a heavy, then light grit sanding paper, followed by paint (ether white or deck color). Also where is a good source for original vinyl floor color ? I've seen white but, the original is hard to come by of course and not sure it's made anymore.     
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 11:06am
Bruce is the man to answer all of those questions... I'll post a picture of his '66 one more time because its so pretty.

Which floor covering do you have in mind? The woven looking one (gray/white)? Pretty sure we determined that was a vinyl wall covering of some sort, but Im not aware of anyone finding a current brand/sample that matched. Though, Im not sure anyone has looked very hard either. If you have a small piece to use as an example, you may want to find a local floor/wall covering store and pour through their books.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 11:13am
We painted our hull sides and did not re install the side panels. They were an option and we didn't want to spend the money to re upohlsture them and the boat has more room without them. Clean them up and paint them. Make sure you hit them with BIN first. We got a good match off a Ben Moore color chart.

We used white flooring in the Mustang which looks good, but is hard to keep clean. I'd use shark skin Nautolex like we're using in the Barracuda. If you like the white though, we've got a bunch we'd sell at a great price.

crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 9:38am
Bruce's boat is stunning. I was thinking about going with a vinyl floor that's currently in the pictures of the Skylark I posted or something close as I can get to the original. Riley I do like that floor and looks pretty darn close, the only thing with the all white that scares me is how dirty it gets with even clean feet. The determining factor for the side panels is if it can with it from the factory, once I get conformation if it did or didn't I'll go from there but I'm pretty sure it didn't because there are no markings of it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 12:53pm
I would think that if it came from the factory with side panels that
their would be holes in the gunnel where they were screwed to like
below. How they attached at the bottom on a wood floor I don't know,
did CC screw blocks to the floor then attach the panels to them?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 1:40pm
I assume they just let the bottom freely move around and just attached the top.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 1:53pm
Crabman,

It's too bad that guy in cincinnati won't call you back. I never talked to him myself but he seems like a pain in the ass.

I still have those side panels if you're interested, so if you happen to make it down here or your uncle let me know. I'm probably going to toss them soon.

What did you use to clean that hull up, i need to do the same with mine.

Thanks! Looking great!
1970 Mustang
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 6:01pm
Side panels were an option on the old boats. If you don't have holes like Gary is showing you, then it didn't come with them. Another tell tale sign is remnants of glue stuck to the sides of the hull. Our Mustang had the original side panels and they were held in by screws through the gunnels at the top and screws into blocking that was screwed into the edges of the floor behind the side panels.

I doubt you'll get info from Correct Craft that will be so detailed that it will list all the options, but you never know.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

the boat has more room without them.

Your not kidding Bruce,first I added the console then recently added the side panels,now I can see one of the reasons they may have been taken out    Time to look for another boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 9:20am
I didn't look close enough last weekend to see if there were holes that might have been patched. I am fairly certain it didn't come with it but, did think about adding it. After much deliberation with myself and others the only way I will add the side panels is if I see they were used. A question that arises though where they usually painted the deck or hull color or a off white to match the interior ? Also another question I had, that I can't seem to answer was foam an option or standard after a certain year ? Hoping to get the floor out this weekend

TP- That's a weird story there, I tried to call him multiple time on his old listing for $300 and got him once and talked for a a while and even sent me pictures but, then when I tried to go get it and get his address his phone was disconnected. Then he re-listed with a new number and new price saying he was going to scrap it if it didn't sell for $200 and then finally talked to his wife after about ten calls and I said I would be down there this weekend with cash for $240 just give me the address and call me back. Then crickets and haven't heard anything back. I really wanted a few parts off of it like the foot pedal and a friend wanted the block to redo......grrr but, oh well wasn't meant to be I guess. Moral of that story though when your dealing with something like that and you get the guy on the phone ...... act fast or forget about it I guess.

As for the what I used, I actually got some stuff from a friend called Menzerna. I first used 1000 G then the 3000 Grit on a buffing wheel then a wax after that. It still needs a good buff but, the side are coming along nicely and impressed with the color.

Here's the link: I know automotive, just was trying to brake the scum off first.
http://menzernausa.com/menzerna-automotive.htm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 9:58am
John I believe foam was an option on the early boats and then about 68? the Coast Guard made it a requirement. I learned your lesson long ago,you have to drop everything and jump. I wonder if any other company used foot pedals,Pete has some good sources for old boat parts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 11:03am
Crabman will you post those pictures of the boat in cincinnati, i'm just curious as to what it looks like.

If you ever do get a hold of him and he wants you to grab it in a pinch. I can drive over and grab it and park it in my driveway for you until mid august. Maybe toss me a $20 for gas.
1970 Mustang
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 11:04am
Interesting, I knew it was a requirement after a certain time but didn't know when. Thank you for the info. I will do a little more searching. I knew I should have jumped on it but, at that time I really didn't have the time.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 11:06am
TP- Nice to know, I will give him a call a few more times but, sounded like it was sold already. I told him or his wife I could be down there this weekend..... no call back though. I will have to post pictures after work as I'm heading out the door.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2013 at 11:25am

Just a little update I was able to get the floor removed without to much fuss, I noticed I might need to replace a few items of course but, the stringers were strong and seemed to be in good shape thankfully. The tank came out pretty easy but, has a lot of rust inside so I need to do some reading tonight about cleaning it as I just flushed it with water. Thinking maybe a radiator shop might be able to flush it out for me..... going to have to do some investigation. I attached a few pictures of the engine cover also, as I never really seen one like that before and a few people were asking about it. I know the 4 cycl. uses a Zenith updraft but were there different options for cabs during production or did they all use the same one ?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2013 at 12:10pm
The third (middle) hinge was added and that front bumpout is a new one to me... but otherwise, that box appears to be the same as the one CC commonly used through '69.

From the '68 brochure:

There have been a few smaller boxes put over the 4cyl and 6cyl boats... but yours appears to be the larger one that was put over the smaller V8's.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2013 at 12:21pm
I suggest removing the foam crabman.

Also think you can email me those pics of that 66 skylark, if you can't post them.

I love the color on your 66 Mustang, it's a beauty!

my email is petercraft@gmail.com
1970 Mustang
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2013 at 9:34pm
TRBenj - The motor cover is actually pretty small compared to the ones I'm used too, the bump out is the weird one and not sure why the handle is lower and not on the topside. Not sure why they added the hinge, expect for extra support.

TP - I'm still weighing out that option. It won't ever get wet on the inside to cause any damage it was sort of a weight issue I guess if I removed it. The pictures are what I received from him. Really wanted the gas pedal and maybe the windshield if it was still good and another friend wanted the engine, while another wanted to make a shell into a bar.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2013 at 9:32am
WOW there's tons of good parts on that boat!!
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic