NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 14>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

they ride quite different through the water than their fiberglass counterparts? or is it all in hull design

Peter,
Yes, it's in the hull design. After the displacement hulls, almost every planing hull ran bow high. I feel it was due to the available power. You can see in Jack's video where he starts to add more gas and the boat flattens out. The first generation CC's with the bigger HP's like in the SN, ran somewhat flat but even the hulls like the Mustang were still running somewhat bow high.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2015 at 10:55am
Jack,
I was finally able to view the video (in stop action!). My new DSL up here sure isn't like my old Uverse! Fantastic. I'm sure it feels great to get it out on the water. I know the feeling well. I know you will enjoy it for many years and deserve it due to all the work you put into it.

BTW, get it warmed up and adjust those solid lifters. You can hear them in the video.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2015 at 10:45am
Great video, Jack. A wood boat guy in NH told me that plywood boats "float like a cork". I look forward to getting a ride in it.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2015 at 10:30am
Glad to see another one back on the water. Looking great!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2015 at 8:48am
Looks great Jack.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 9:45pm
Love the video, hope to see it in person some time
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 9:25pm
I watched that video what great lines.. they ride quite different through the water than their fiberglass counterparts? or is it all in hull design
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 9:13pm
I did when you first put it up Jack,looks sweet!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

[/IMG]

picture is a link to vid

shameless bump, just wanted to see if any opened the video by clicking on the pic? should work
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 5:06pm
Damn! That's a fine looking boat.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've had that thing on ebay multiple times for as little as $10 and never even got a watcher.

Bruce
Ebay is really not the best to market classic and antique boat parts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

IMHO this may be an area that originalaty gets compromised for good solid reason.

Jack,
This is one area where I beg to differ. As an ACBS judge, I can say the siphon baler does add originality to the boat. When my Atom got a best of show and then the Sharpest Arrow (Blackhawk chapter highest award) the baler was a addition to the point system. Other non judged shows, it also was always an addition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 1:07pm
I've had that thing on ebay multiple times for as little as $10 and never even got a watcher.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The brass siphon balers were very common back around the 40's and 50's. My Atom has one. A word of caution about using one. Never leave the boat unattended for longer than several hours. The problem with them is the vent hole can get plugged with debris and then they will reverse siphon!!. There are reports of boats found full of water or at the bottom!

Jack,
Don't worry about the hole in the bottom. The siphon balers are VERY original and VERY sought after for restorations. You had better take up Bruce on the offer before he realizes he could sell it for some pretty big $$$$

I have heard the stories about the boats that sunk with the auto balers. My Atom Skier shows no signs of having hav ing had one originally so no need. I am glad they have value because I may have a couple extras myself. IMHO this may be an area that originalaty gets compromised for good solid reason.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:46pm
The brass siphon balers were very common back around the 40's and 50's. My Atom has one. A word of caution about using one. Never leave the boat unattended for longer than several hours. The problem with them is the vent hole can get plugged with debris and then they will reverse siphon!!. There are reports of boats found full of water or at the bottom!

Jack,
Don't worry about the hole in the bottom. The siphon balers are VERY original and VERY sought after for restorations. You had better take up Bruce on the offer before he realizes he could sell it for some pretty big $$$$

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:25pm
That's the type. It has a little ball inside it for a check valve. It's a brass fixture. Pretty ingenious, but I'd probably stray from originality for a modern pump.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well how cool is that! Glad to hear it Jack, hope to see you in NC in a few weeks - unless you want to come visit in ny before that

Joe, I appreciate the offer but I have a huge honey do list if I want to leave town on the 8th so I better take a rain chack on the visit. Perhaps next season though.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've got one of those original auto bilge pumps if you want it.

Thanks for the offer Bruce, is that one of those upsidedown u that goes aft near the transome and siphones bilge water? I have an aversion to putting holes in the boat and even thinking about doing away with the one on the 1950 Utility when I finish the new bottom. Perhaps yours is not this type? I do need to put the pump on some kind of auto until I can address and hopefully minimize some of the water intrusion.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2015 at 3:54pm
[/IMG]

picture is a link to vid
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2015 at 12:10pm
Still looks sweet. Hope someone can shoot some video of it under power. Great looking boat, thanks for saving it!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2015 at 12:09pm
I've got one of those original auto bilge pumps if you want it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2015 at 12:08pm
I thank everyone for the comments and interest. Have to admit that cosmetically the picture makes it look a bit better then it is. Still all said in pretty good shape for it's age. Not going to lie and say it is watertight either LOL, hey thats what bilge pumps are made for. There is always work to be done.

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 11:32am
This ole girl is a rocket!! No gps but she pushed the speedo to 40 mph at about 3700 rpm @WOT. I think there's more to be had with some tweaks. Can't beat the way an old wood boat rides. Next up we have to ski it!!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 10:58am
That's one pretty boat. More pics please.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 10:07am
Glad you got it sorted out, Jack. The boat looks great. How about some more photos?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 7:44am
Awesome- glad it was something simple after all! Looking good, can't wait to see it in person.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 7:26am
Sure does look good. Best of luck with her!
Js
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 7:11am
Looks great Jack....thanks for putting her back on the water
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2015 at 12:09am
Looking great Jack. Glad you figured it out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2015 at 11:26pm
Well how cool is that! Glad to hear it Jack, hope to see you in NC in a few weeks - unless you want to come visit in ny before that
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic