Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2930313233 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

While the floor is up you can add nailers for the seats. I'm surprised you or anyone hasn't said anything about the Star Board. Seems like its easy to use and is rot proof.

Starboard isn't an option since I need to do both sides of the boat.
I solved the problem of mounting bolts pulling out of the plywood floor on a couple of boats I did previously by backing the area with 1/4" aluminum plate. I drilled the holes and tapped them. It was inexpensive and worked really well. The aluminum plates only added a few pounds. I am considering it again.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

While the floor is up you can add nailers for the seats. I'm surprised you or anyone hasn't said anything about the Star Board. Seems like its easy to use and is rot proof.

Bruce,
I'll comment on the Starboard! It must be mechanically fastened so every screw hole becomes a potential for water intrusion. You also can't glue anything to it so installing the original vinyl type floor covering would be a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I solved the problem of mounting bolts pulling out of the plywood floor on a couple of boats I did previously by backing the area with 1/4" aluminum plate. I drilled the holes and tapped them. It was inexpensive and worked really well. The aluminum plates only added a few pounds. I am considering it again.

John,
You'll end up with extra ply. I suggest just epoxying a double layer together where the seats bolt. Do CPES the holes and then use some 4200 on the screws.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
You'll end up with extra ply. I suggest just epoxying a double layer together where the seats bolt. Do CPES the holes and then use some 4200 on the screws.

Pete, when you put down the sole, do you use thickened epoxy to bond it to the stringers or is there a better method? My U.S. Composites order and CPES are on the way, I want to get the materials I need so I don't have unnecessary delays mid-project.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2015 at 6:49pm
John,
Use the thickened epoxy and no screws. Weigh it down until the epoxy kicks. Some of or members use cases of beer and somewhere there's even pictures!! I won't mention names!! A screw is just a stress point as well as a potential water intrusion point. Epoxy gives you full contact bonding on the complete stringer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 1:08am

Dave,
Is that picture of a piece of engineered? I looks laminated. I'm still looking and it looks similar to the stuff I want. 3/4", 7&3/4" face, "rustic", oiled and wire brushed White Oak. I just need my wife to decide on a color.

Pete, That is the tongue end of a 3/4 solid piece of red Oak.. I had two left over bundles in my basement for over a year, so I decided to build this cabinet top out of them.

It will be stained ebony. The strips in the photo are from pre-staining the edges so if it opens up in the winter, like flooring likes to do in our climate, it will not show the bright red oak edges.

My former company makes the product you want in their shop. Starting with new flooring, power planing a subtle hand scrap on the surface, rounding the edges, wire brushing and sanding and then oiling (or polyurethane, customer choice). The final oil coats are applied on site.. The result is spectacular but its pretty pricey due to the labor intensity. I put the product into a lot of multi-million dollar homes, mostly on lake Minnetonka.

The last one I installed before my career change was 7800 sg feet of 8" white oak plank..

I would caution against staining too dark, it will show ever speck of dust.

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2015 at 5:47pm

Bruce,
I'll comment on the Starboard! You also can't glue anything to it so installing the original vinyl type floor covering would be a problem.

Pete, what do you mean you can't glue anything to Starboard? CC glued carpet to all sorts of pieces of Starboard (kick panel, engine dividers, ski locker door, etc) in my 99 Super sport. Not sure what adhesive would be used for the vinyl flooring but carpet glue holds without issue.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2015 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

Pete, what do you mean you can't glue anything to Starboard? CC glued carpet to all sorts of pieces of Starboard (kick panel, engine dividers, ski locker door, etc) in my 99 Super sport. Not sure what adhesive would be used for the vinyl flooring but carpet glue holds without issue.

Take a look at Starboards own installation warnings. Are you sure what CC used was HDPE?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2015 at 7:48pm
I do not believe it is hdpe (starboard), I believe it is xpvc. Great for holding staples, but it's even weaker, structurally. Definitely not a floor material.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 11:43am
Just from a weight standpoint I can tell you interior panels are not HDPE. It's 50% denser.

XPVC has half the tensile and impact strength and is "gluable"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Ziggster Ziggster wrote:

www.kingplastic.com/using-adhesive-with-king-starboard-2/

Todd,
How familiar are with the flame treat process used on HDPE? I am, as I worked for a manufacturer of HDPE blow molded containers to the tune of 15,000,000 per year. We used the flame treat for conditioning before the application of labels which is a sound application for adhering a paper label. When the adhesion requirement goes beyond this light duty need, I do not recommend the flame treat. Notice the careful wording King Plastics uses like "when an adhesive is necessary" . That should give you an idea of the potential problems. I highly suggest not recommending the process unless you have used the flame treat and have experience with the process,

BTW, Here's a proper link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Ziggster Ziggster wrote:

3M Scotch Weld

$38.00 for 35ml!!! Yup, there's the high tech out there but not for boats!!! I sure wouldn't want a member buying a bunch of Starboard for his sole just to find out he would need big $$$ to glue it down!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2015 at 4:13pm
Santa came early.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 5:17am
I took the Jabsco from my spare engine apart today to order parts for a rebuild and ended up with a mystery. It appears by the wear on the impeller vanes the engine has been turning, or was turned the wrong direction (standard rotation) at some time. The engine is locked up and although complete it is just a core, so I can't determine anything without disassembly. The block casting date code is for a 1969 manufacture so I think it's likely it's the original engine. I'm not sure what to think about this situation. I will have to look more closely to see if the pump cam assembly is in the proper position for reverse location. The end plate clearly shows LH rotation. The prop on the sacraficial Mustang was correct clockwise rotation when viewed from the stern so?
Gary's information on the Jabsco water pump rebuild thread was helpful
As far as I can tell the 11850-80 was superceeded by the 11850-0711. I need the 90117-0001 kit, and may replace the bearing and wear plate too just because I can. Is anyone able to confirm that the parts for these two pumps are interchangeable? If anyone has the part numbers of the star drive and Lovejoy coupling I would be happy to have them. I will look for them at Farm & Fleet. I. I also found that the build date is on the end cover. I will order the parts to rebuild this one and if everything works out I will do the other one as a spare. It's probably a good idea to stock up on the soft parts while they are available.
Thanx.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 2:53pm
John, can you post a picture of the pump installed on the engine for those of us who haven't memorized how HM oriented everything? I am not quite sure which way I'm supposed to be looking at it. Is everything as shown (pump and cover) installed facing away from the crank?

LH vs. RH is opposite automotive vs. marine... so who knows which convention HM was using. I know they also made both RH and LH marine engines, so they may have reused the same pump and cover regardless... they may have expected you to know which direction your engine spun and reversed the "LH <----" in your head if you had a RH.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 3:40pm
I looked at the pump cam assembly this morning and it is in the correct position for RR and matches the arrow on the bell housing. The spare engine is a mystery, The Mustang it came from was abandoned outside for years before I bought it. It is unknown why the engine is locked up. It may have been manually turned backwards in an attempt to free it up at some time and that could have possibly caused this. The inlet/outlet markings on the pump end plate were oriented correctly. the end plate is behind the steel mounting plate and the pumps is mounted by the end plate screws passing through the mounting plate . This is the orientation of the pump resting on my good engine. .

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 3:59pm
Check the firing order by the way the wires are on the distributor cap. OR pull the distributor and look at the gear. Mine is RR and the firing order is NOT what is cast into the intake manifold. That is probably the quickest and most positive way to check rotation that I know of. Others may have better methods

Ford distributor
////// std rot. gear teeth
\\\\\\   rev. rot. gear teeth
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Check the firing order by the way the wires are on the distributor cap. OR pull the distributor and look at the gear. Mine is RR and the firing order is NOT what is cast into the intake manifold. That is probably the quickest and most positive way to check rotation that I know of. Others may have better methods

Ford distributor
////// std rot. gear teeth
\\\\\\   rev. rot. gear teeth

Everything on the core engine looks right to me, here is the dist.

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 7:13pm
You are showing us a REVERSE ROTATION dist.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 7:57pm

The mystery is why the impeller vanes are deflected the wrong way for an RR engine.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 8:06pm

The mystery is why the impeller vanes are deflected the wrong way for an RR engine.

Incorrect starter ?????? And never got the engine running :)

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 11:45pm
Good news, bad news. I was lazy today and didn't want to grind fiberglass so I pulled the heads to assess and see what they put in this thing. As far as wear it appears very good. Almost no ridge, light carbon deposits, no scoring, The Fel-Pro 8025 head gasket was 0.040 with the crush (right where it should be), and very clean on the oil side with a little rust on the pushrods. My first look at the pistons. The bad, very heavy scale in the block and head water jacket with some passages completely blocked, special port unmatching with the gasket placement. I guess I will be pulling it down to thermal clean, hot tank, and shot peen, magnaflux, mic it down, re-ring and bearings and reassemble.. Yea, easy as that!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 12:05am
John,
Getting back to the RWP vanes turned backwards, unless I missed it, I haven't seen where anyone has asked about the starter motor. Is it the correct rotation?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 12:15am

John,
Getting back to the RWP vanes turned backwards, unless I missed it, I haven't seen where anyone has asked about the starter motor. Is it the correct rotation?

I haven't checked yet Pete. It's in the garage attic. Considering the state of disrepair that boat was in and the people who owned it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was abandoned due to not starting after a standard rotationstarter replacement.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 1:21am
Does not matter anyway,if I recall this is the extra engine that you have from the SS right? You know this engine is correct rotation because you have already had it running. Not much of a chance the other engine having the wrong starter on it anyway because a Holman Moody used a special nose starter. Any other starter, lefty or righty will not fit because of it's length. Art told me one can be made up by using a nose and bendix from one and a motor from another but not many people know that. I think it came up when Dave H needed one. This is the time when getting yours repaired can save a lot of headaches
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Does not matter anyway,if I recall this is the extra engine that you have from the SS right? You know this engine is correct rotation because you have already had it running. Not much of a chance the other engine having the wrong starter on it anyway because a Holman Moody used a special nose starter. Any other starter, lefty or righty will not fit because of it's length. Art told me one can be made up by using a nose and bendix from one and a motor from another but not many people know that. I think it came up when Dave H needed one. This is the time when getting yours repaired can save a lot of headaches

It's a riddle Gary. Did you have a lot of corrosion and scale in your engine when you opened it up?

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 2:47am
I'm really leaning on you guys. Anyone know Ford rocker arm numbering? I have been searching the interweb and can't find anything on it. Each rocker has a number stamped into it. It doesn't seem to correspond to anything. Any guesses?
Also, I am curious about the rocker ratio. The oval stud hole is 0.658 and as accurately as I am able to measure the distancce from the center of the stud hole to the center of the valve stem is 1.56o and the center of the stud hole to the center of the pushrod cup is 0.863. If the stud fulcrum is at the center of the pivot hole the rocker ratio would be 1.81 : 1. I know there are 1.7 : 1 rockers but this is way out there. It is possible that the fulcrum is slightly off center, which could lead to the 1.7, but it looks pretty dead on. More research is necessary. This thing has dished pistons with significant valve reliefs so I guess it may be possible but it is pretty radical. These are the 1969 C8OE-E 4V heads that many Ford Mustang forums argue don't exist when someone finds a set. Maybe the geometry is different from the other heads to accomodate this, but I really don't know. Here is a photo for reference.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 6:49am

John,

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Incorrect starter ?????? And never got the engine running :)

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 8:50am
I'm not sure it would be that straightforward to determine rocker ratio, John... Too many angles and different planes to be taking simple measurements. Also, remember that the at-rest (valve closed) position of the stud in the rocker body isn't likely to be centered in the slot, as the rocker is all the way at one end of its travel. Looks don't mean everything but they appear very similar to the stock stamped 1.6 rockers of the era. No idea on the numbers you're seeing, I'll try to remember to take a look at a few of the ones I have to see if they're marked.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm not sure it would be that straightforward to determine rocker ratio, John... Too many angles and different planes to be taking simple measurements..

Just an idea but how about setting up the dial indicator on top of the rocker in line with the valve stem and then the push rod?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2930313233 54>
  Share Topic