Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FLOOD!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLOOD!!
    Posted: July-24-2010 at 3:25pm
Our lake (Lake Delhi) is flooding! The state would not let the dam open up because of a fair 20 miles down river. Now the water may wash out the road around the dam! Lake Delhi is around 7 miles long, 200yds wide. Home to over 70 CC's. Most of which are in danger. I already know my uncle's 97 is gone, my grandmas house is submerged to the roof. My dad's is on the high ground so not in any danger. I will post pics when I get back from the lake.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 5:14pm
Wow that doesnt sound right I hope you and yours make it through unscathed
Brian
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 6:27pm
Mine is safe in the driveway. The dam has collapsed, and around 70 boats have gone down. A couple dozen CC's have gone.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 6:39pm
SOunds like you are going to lose your ski spot!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

Our lake (Lake Delhi) is flooding! The state would not let the dam open up because of a fair 20 miles down river.

Sounds like your state made a pretty serious mistake. Once it starts failing....you can't stop it.

Tim

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 6:48pm
cant replace people
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

cant replace people

Opening it with a controlled flow would have been much better than the breach.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 7:45pm
Closing a fair would have been better than losing a lake for a year or more. This is a crying shame, knowing personally how many cool old CC's are on that lake! I was supposed to meet Josh up there a week from Monday to ski, but obviously that's not happening. Sounds like I may be going up to help in the relief efforts!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 7:50pm
Lake Delhi dam news report
What a shame due to officials not letting out a controlled flow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 9:50pm
It looks very bad on the news. Prayers for all concerned! Please keep us posted and if there is anything we can do!
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 10:40pm

Phil Thompson (70CC)'s Cabin. He saved his nautique before the flood hit.

This is just after the dam breach.

15min after the last pic.

My boat lift. Thankfully it's in the driveway after GL'10. These pics of my place are 1-2 hours after the dam breach, and the water is down at least 10 feet from in the morning.

another pic of my lift.

unfortunate pic, one of a few CC's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

Phil Thompson (70CC)'s Cabin. He saved his nautique before the flood hit.

Oh man!! I emailed Phil after you first posted the problem wondering if he had a issue. Confirmed he is affected too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 11:03pm
He is, I'm pretty sure his place was about a foot away from being flooded. I talked to him and he said he was able to get his boat out and docks secured to the shore. I'll be up tomorrow to see where the water level is. It was supposed to crest around 8pm central time. The dame levy failing may have actually saved quite a bit of property damage.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 11:09pm
Josh - What a tragic turn of events.    I have some attachment to the area because I learned to ski at Freddy's beach in 1961.    We also bought our SN from a Lake Delhi resident.

I am glad your boat is OK & hopefully your uncle's is insured.

I have never seen so much rain in July!

Our lake/river is flooded too.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 11:15pm
Josh,
I am sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed speaking with you a couple of weeks ago. Glad you and the others are ok, but what a disaster! What awful pics there of it. My thoughts and prayers there to you and the family. Be glad that beautiful boat was not under the lift...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 11:21pm
At the end of the day, it's all just money. That's what my dad says. Luckily it's just property loss. I just hope for a speedy recovery of the lake so we can all get back to enjoying boating, no matter what you own.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 11:23pm
It was heartbreaking for me to break the news to Storm (Chris Mars). He had the place next to my dads rented for the first week of Aug and looks forward to that trip every year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2010 at 11:34pm
This levee blow out is very similar to the lake Delton (Wis.) issue a couple years ago. They got it fixed and the lake was back up to the norm within a year. I'm just saying this so you keep your hopes up for a recovery.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 4:29am
Josh, what a bad deal, glad the boat is ok but what a mess to deal with. All the more personal after meeting you at green lake. I know your the kind of guy to handle it though. Best of wishes. Dave.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 11:52am
Sorry to hear the bad news, if there is anything we can do let us know Jeff
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Sorry to hear the bad news, if there is anything we can do let us know Jeff

Same here Josh, let me know if you need anything. We'll reschedule our trip this year and hope for Delhi in 2011! Keep us updated with pictures. If you need another clean-up hand give me a call, I already have next week off
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 1:01pm
Thank you all for the support. On the bright side, this will allow us to rebuild even better. I'm sure we'll get it all cleaned up and ready for 2011. I just may have to hit up the Lake Clinton reunion to get some good skiing in now.
ski247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 1:07pm
Hopefully everything works out. Good luck.
The point of life is not to arrive in the grave in a well preserved body, but to slide in totally worn out shouting "holy sh#@ what a ride"
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 2:20pm
Wow, that sucks, we had a similar flood about a month ago just north of San Antonio. Same damage and loss of boats but the dams involved are built to have water spill over so they were fine.

With a little bit of looking around it appears that the dam was in bad shape to begin with and they weren't spilling as much as they could have if everything was in proper working order. I work at a a series of dams so this kind of thing is very interesting to me. Our dams were not in the best shape 20 years ago and we began a very expensive project of re-anchoring, rebuilding and replacing almost everything. I live below a lake that holds about a million acre feet of water when full so I really don't want something like this to happen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 2:39pm
Don,
It's very interesting with you working with dams however I think in this case nothing could be done due to the amount of rain that fell in such a short period of time. Yes, maybe a spillway may have helped pass more water than the actual gates could handle but it looks like no spillway was incorporated in this dam structure. Or, it was removed!! The dam that controls the chain I'm on up in northern Wisconsin, had the spillway removed I'd say 15 years ago when they build a coffer damn and did some HD work on the dam itself. The story I heard is there's no control of a spillway and if it does come to play, the water over it can really affect the people down stream.

I do wonder if Josh's first statement regarding the fact that the officials didn't want to flood out the fair downstream comes to play?? It's a interesting concept and the truth will probably never come out!!

With our problem up north and our extreme 120 year low water this spring the truth did come out. It was a miscalculation/human error!!! Bad snow pack figures!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 3:23pm
I'm not sure if there would have been enough time to drain the ammount of water needed to prepare for the surge. Upstream got in the neighborhood of 10" of rain the previous night. Who knows?

Here are some good videos I found.

Dam

long video

Also, here is the level chart, we are now around 10' below the normal level.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 4:20pm
Thats unreal! Such a shame
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 4:21pm
How devestating. Sorry to hear of all the damage.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 4:26pm
Josh, didn't you say they drain the lake once in a while to do maintenance and dredging? Hopefully they can take care of some other stuff while they are fixing the dam. Have you heard of any recovery plans?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2010 at 5:08pm
That's gonna take a little more than just the usual maintenance. The bad thing is with all the mtg that has left the country nobody has the capability to do some of this stuff real quick anymore. They don't make anything until you order it and then there might be a wait because of the very small staff that they have. The goo news is that it looks like the earten parts are what failed and that can be fixed relatively quickly. Hopefully with the rehab process that was already going on the other stuff will be ready fairly quick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic