NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bearing buddies, How effective?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing buddies, How effective?
    Posted: July-20-2010 at 9:51pm
Hey Dave, The big important thing is you made it to GL!! Great meeting you.

So now, you'll keep the grease gun handy!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 9:47pm
Pete, I have bearing buddy bras over what I assume are bearing buddys.
they are spring loaded caps with zirc fittings. They are currently filled with synthetic marine grease. I do not blame them. I blame the previouse and current owner for never opening them up. I should have checked them when I first got the boat. I am sure with attention they will work well in the future. You just cant squirt grease into junk and expect anymore than greasy junk.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 9:24pm
Dave,
They aren't "Bearing Buddies" so what is on the trailer? Do you have the OEM "Sure Lube"? I'm not too sure of the year they came to play?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 8:58pm
Turns out they are not all that. When getting new tires for the trip to green lake I had the guys give them a quick check. Inner seals were bad. one side a little foamy the second completely full of water. New seals bearings, and races on both sides. Cut into my beer money for green lake but no roadside nightmears.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 1:41pm
just DO NOT use a pnumatic grease gun as it can blow out the rear seal making all your efforts worthless.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 1:16pm
[/QUOTE]in a bad part of town where everyones pants are hanging down and their boxers are showing or on a country road and Billy Bub comes by in a rusted out pickup with a pig in the front seat and says"ya'll want some haelp, thats a fine looking boy you got there."
[/QUOTE]

Just because he's from Ohio, shouldn't talk about Eric and his neighbors/relatives like that...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

One less thing on my list.I will monitor with infrared thermometer during the trip. A spare set is a good idea though. Anyone know the axel size for a stock 1987 correctcraft trailer?

Dave, jack the wheel off the ground and give it a spin, wiggle the tire and take a listen. If it spins smooth and you don't hear any noises you're probably fine. If there's noise replace them if there's wiggle you may need to simply tighten the nut to the next position but if thats the case I would open them up and inspect.

A complete spare set is a must for road trips and make sure they come with seals. Put a tool box together that has all the tools you need to R/R the bearings incase the worst happens.

Hammer, drift/punch, short 2x4 block, pliers, flat screwdriver, plenty of rags, tub of grease as well as a tube in the grease gun, bottle jack, roadside flares and hand cleaner for when your done.

You could also prepack the new bearings and put them in a zip lock so your not on the side of the road. Inevitably they alsways fail in the worst time, either in the rain, in the dark, in a bad part of town where everyones pants are hanging down and their boxers are showing or on a country road and Billy Bub comes by in a rusted out pickup with a pig in the front seat and says"ya'll want some haelp, thats a fine looking boy you got there." In any case be prepared to do a quick job of it and get on your way.

Take a few phone numbers from the GL thread along with you incase you need some roadside advice, chances are you'll be fine but you never know

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 11:15am
One less thing on my list.I will monitor with infrared thermometer during the trip. A spare set is a good idea though. Anyone know the axel size for a stock 1987 correctcraft trailer?
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 10:44am
yes, plus they keep a positive pressure of grease when working correctly to keep the water out and yes they do hit the back bearings
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 10:38am
I have them on all my trailers. I've never repacked a bearing and have never had a problem. The Bearing Buddies supply grease to both bearings. You know that when you overfill them and then grease comes out the inside seal all over the wheel!! Fill them per the instructions. Just until the spring loaded piston moves about 1/8" and is floating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 6:29am
Jack it up and RE Pack.

and as stated before, take at least one extra set of bearings and the races with you and a brass punch to get the old race out and tap the new race in.    If you haven't tapped out races and replaced them before grab a old hub from somewhere and practice with the one's in there.    You can do the whole job on the side of the road in about the time it takes to change a flat if your familiar with what your doing and not standing there scratch'n your head.   Go ahead and Pack the new set of bearings also. Stick'em in a zip bag with a little extra grease. that way you don't need to carry a grease gun with you.
If you use the little packing tool from the auto parts place, pack a little extra by hand just for good measure.
Take a extra pack of tail light bulbs to.
pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 3:57am
To my knowledge, bearing buddies only reach the outer bearings. I'd open them up, take a look and re-pack just to be safe. Also, buy another set and take them with you to GL. It's always good to have another set and a spare with you in case something happens. I did this last year before towing out 88 up to GL, didn't have any problems but was confident in towing.

Have fun at GL!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 3:33am
I am prioritising what I need to do to get to green lake. I have bearing buddies on my trailer that I pump full of marine greese about twice a summer. I have friends that swear this is all the maintanece bearings need. I have never opened up the bearings and repacked since I purchased the boat three years ago but they run cool.I typically tow about 500 miles a summer, but plan on towing about a thousand miles this month. Do I need to re-pack and inspect or just keep pumping in greese?
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic