Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Trailer guide broke.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Trailer guide broke.
    Posted: August-27-2009 at 7:03pm

martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Martin - Nice looking craft you have there. I especially like that style of windshield.

Thanks, SNobsessed I enjoyed seeing your sharp '89 at GL. I think we met, hard to match names. Good luck on the gel issue.

Rich

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 9:06am
Marty,
Thanks. I must be blind!!

Martin,
Why are you covering up the trailer tags??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 1:44am

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Nice Gloves--- Get you a personalized license plate for that boat so you wont have to cover it up!!!

Marty,
Sorry but you lost me! What gloves? please explain!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 11:15pm
Nice Gloves--- Get you a personalized license plate for that boat so you wont have to cover it up!!!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Dave don't buy a bender. You can borrow mine or better yet bring 2 60" pieces of pipe to Clinton and we'll bend them on the spot.

Alan....sounds great! I appreciate the offer. See you in Clinton.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 9:46pm
Martin - Nice looking craft you have there. I especially like that style of windshield.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2009 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by h20loo h20loo wrote:

Rich-that crack he welded looks like a "freeze crack". Make sure you have the pipe capped and or a drain hole if there is a possibility of freezing again.Did you snuggle that boat in there just using mirrors?? THAT is tight! LOL

h201oo

Thanks, I bought two plastic hitch ball covers to put over the tops of the trailer guides to prevent freeze cracking in the future. I'm lucky I can back my trailer into my garage and still be about two feet from that table, then I can push it up close to give me room to store my motorcycle.

I also incorrectly identified my trailer as a #2, of course it's a #3. I will correct it above. Here are some pictures with my welded trailer guide installed.

Rich

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 3:26pm
Dave don't buy a bender. You can borrow mine or better yet bring 2 60" pieces of pipe to Clinton and we'll bend them on the spot.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 1:52pm
Dave,
I don't see any gains with going to a larger pipe size. The 1&1/4 is plenty strong for the guide ons. The weak link to the set up is the trailer frame channel they are bolted onto. It flexes before the pipe does.

No, I won't have ether of my wood boats at the Abbey this year. Both are up north plus both have won numerous awards including best of show with the 54. I'm giving other people a chance!! I will be there on Saturday to help out as well as look for new officers for the upcoming term. If you make it, look for the skinny guy with gray hair!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 12:48pm
Thanks Pete! Good info! I had heard in the past that some of this type of pipe was hard to weld. Glad to hear it won't be an issue.

I have been looking at pipe benders on ebay, and Northern Hydraulics.com. Most portable benders will bend up to 2" dia. pipe.

You had mentioned 1 1/4" was what is used for these type applications. Is it wise to go any larger on the OD? I was looking at my trailer last night, and it appears I could go up to 2" and still have it fit between the existing bolt holes. What are the pros or cons of going larger?

BTW.....Are you going to be displaying any of your boats the Antique Boat Show at the Abbey this year?

Thanks!

Dave
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 9:11am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Thanks Alan! So what is Schedule 40? Is that a plumbing code? I take it there are no problems welding it to the steel plate that mounts it to the trailer?

David,
It's not a plumbing code but rather a standard set up years ago by the steel tubing/pipe mills to indicate the wall thickness. The higher the number, the thicker the wall. The OD is always constant. Pipe schedules are 10, 20, 40, 80 and 160. Scd. 40 is common pipe available like Alan mentioned at the home center or hardware in ether black or galvanized. 10 would be something used on a "cyclone" fence and 160 for super heated high pressure steam.

Welding isn't a issue as the steel used is ordinary low carbon.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 12:56am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Can you park the trailers in the camping sites, or do they have to be parked off site?

Park your boat right next to your tent if you like. Clinton sites are hugh, I leave my trailer hooked to the motorhome and at 53' I can still fit in easily.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 12:53am
Thanks Alan! Yours looks good. I appreciate the help. We are still trying to get it all figured out for Clinton. Hope to see you down there. I have also been wanting to put new boards on the trailer as well. Might be a good time to do it while the boat is off the trailer for a day or so.

Can you park the trailers in the camping sites, or do they have to be parked off site?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 12:36am
David, if you make it down to Clinton you can take a look at the ones I made for my trailer. It welds up fine,I'll give you a hand bending the pipe if you'd like.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2009 at 12:09am
Thanks Alan! So what is Schedule 40? Is that a plumbing code? I take it there are no problems welding it to the steel plate that mounts it to the trailer?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 11:54pm
Schedule 40 pipe at Home depot ,lowes, pretty much anywhere anywhere.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Take the good along to the weld shop so they can match the angle. It would be a shame to see it crooked when following it down the road!

BTW, they are made from 1&1/4" scd. 40 pipe. Yes, Alan has made them by using a inexpensive hydraulic bender from Northern Tool.

As Pete mentions here, these trailer guides are made from 1 1/4" scd. 40 pipe. What does scd. mean?

Where can you buy this pipe? I would like to make a set for my trailer this winter.
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2009 at 1:23am
Rich-that crack he welded looks like a "freeze crack". Make sure you have the pipe capped and or a drain hole if there is a possibility of freezing again.Did you snuggle that boat in there just using mirrors?? THAT is tight! LOL
70 Mustang project
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 10:19pm
The welder was able to make a collar to cover the break in the trailer guide. The repair looks good to me. Just need to paint it.

martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2009 at 2:32pm
I got a chance to take my guide poles to the welder yesterday. The first guy said that there was too much rot and rust to weld and that I should take it to another welder around the corner who had a hydraulic pipe bender to make a new one. That guy told me he couldn't help me and to take it back to the first guy and repair it by putting something inside both ends at the break and welding it. When I took it back to the first guy he said that that wouldn't work but he could try to weld a strap under the break at the bend.

Is welding a strap under the break a good repair? If not what is the proper way to weld this break? Has someone here welded it differently with good results? I no nothing about welding.

Thanks

Rich
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 7:31pm
Thanks all,

I'll bring both guide poles to the welder and ask if they need me to bring back the trailer. Maybe they can cut a little of the rubber hose off the bottom to weld it and keep the rest on. I just filled up the tank so off the trailer is probably my best bet. 1&1/4" scd. 40 pipe got it. I really appreciate all the help.

Rich
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 11:12am
If you weld it on the trailer, please make sure there is no risk from the gas vent fumes. Maybe you could have someone use the boat while you have the trailer fixed to avoid these risks.

Ben Franklin
crnsuperduty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crnsuperduty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 9:44am
I would think it would be easier to weld it with it on the trailer. My fabricator buddy always wants things put together, so he can see how it looks before he finishes welding it. It shouldn't cost any more. Around here the welding shops are really slow, they could do it while you wait, and for cheap. Seeing what it goes on may help with price too, everybody likes boats..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2009 at 9:17am

Take the good along to the weld shop so they can match the angle. It would be a shame to see it crooked when following it down the road!

Chris is correct. Take both sides in so they weld the bad one back on at the correct angle. You don't want it looking like it came from the CC trailer factory Aka: Billy Bobs trailer and screen door.

BTW, they are made from 1&1/4" scd. 40 pipe. Yes, Alan has made them by using a inexpensive hydraulic bender from Northern Tool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 11:01pm

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 9:42pm
Get a hold of Alan, 81nautique, I seem to remember he knows alot about that style of guide. It's alot different than my late '60s style.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 3:14pm
I'd unbolt it and take to a welder. It be easier to weld off the trailer and you wouldn't risk any welding "pop's" melting into the carpet or the gelcoat. Probably save you a few bucks too.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 3:05pm
Thanks for all the help! When I get it welded should I remove the trailer guide mount from my trailer or is it easier to weld it still bolted on? Looks like the left side has already been repaired or replaced.

Gary here are some pictures of my trailer and the damage.

Thanks
Rich

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic