NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3536373839 50>
Author
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 8:00am
I hope to one day see it in person. Beautiful.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 8:54am
Amazing!! Great job! Thanks for sharing.
Js
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 9:07am
The shame of it its, too nice to be anywhere near a dock, trailer or boat launch. Damn sure wouldn't tow it anywhere....

Incredibly beautiful to look at though...great work...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

OK while were in thinking mode, the old gas tank was grounded by the copper fuel line. I am going back with 3/8 rubber hose

Why no copper?

Safety/ease of install.   It's an acceptable practice to replace the copper with USCG rated fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump, still needs to be hard piped from the pump to the carbs though.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 11:13am
The colors could not have worked out any better, the yellow, green, mahogany and chrome are stunning.

+1,000!!!

Truly Beautiful. Where did you source the green linoleum?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

The colors could not have worked out any better, the yellow, green, mahogany and chrome are stunning.

+1,000!!!

Truly Beautiful. Where did you source the green linoleum?

Thank you, My local flooring store tracked it down for me, it's called Marmoleum which I believe is an Armstrong product.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 11:49am
Looks pretty sweet, that linoleum will come in really handy … you can just hose it out after a day of sand, dog hair, Cheetos, etc. When do we see pics with the super high fly setup…   

Mostly just kidding, I mean I would probably take it relatively easy on that boat for a couple of boat show seasons. But I look forward to the video from fall of 2014 of you long line footing behind it. Although if it runs real strong all this summer… maybe a quick run down the St Johns in the Spring.

I hope the guy doing the interior can keep up with the level of quality on the rest of the boat, if not you’ll just have to learn to sew.   If you end up needing a few interiors to practice on.. I could help you out there.

FYI , Your old boat and it’s new owners are making a trip out my way this weekend for a top end upgrade, apparently it has been rejecting the notion of being stuck with a stock engine.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 12:45pm
Beautiful work. not to diminish the special/cool factor of the Orange Crush, but it is hard not to envision this boat as the Flagship of the CCF fleet. Of course combined with its sister ship, the 200 Sport, Alan pretty much has the bookends of the entire CCF fleet. Well played, Sir.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

FYI , Your old boat and it’s new owners are making a trip out my way this weekend for a top end upgrade, apparently it has been rejecting the notion of being stuck with a stock engine.

Glad to hear that Joe, I know he was afraid of maintaining the non stock motor but it ran so well he really should have left it as it was. Make it respectable again for me will ya.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 1:36pm
I think a little patina from being a well used and enjoyed boat over the years would be really cool. No reason to save it for the next owner. Rock that thing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 3:12pm
Well said Larry....
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 8:04pm
Well the trailer didn't make it to powder coat this week so I took the day today to finish a lot of odds and ends on the boat.      Started with installing the engine bay doors and the accompanying trim .   They lined up better than I thought they would so very pleased with that.

tomorrow I'm going to get another coat of varnish on the front deck, I had wet sanded and buffed it but still wasn't happy with so one more time.

I 've also made an executive decision on finishing the boat and I've decided to stop we're I'm at for the summer. I plan to give the boat several more coats of varnish next winter and I've made a deal to use a spray both of a local custom painter for the final coats. This is the guy that's going to do the white deck striping but that is going to wait until next winter. For now we!re just going to stripe the perimeter between the yellow and the mahogany but not the interior stripes. Those will get done after the follow up varnish next year.

In a few weeks when I get the boat back on the trailer I'll bring it to him to do the trim and then install the windshield and it will be time for a water test

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 8:17pm
Allen I can't wait to see it at Green Lake.

Which tower / radio system did you decide on?

In all seriousness though, I work part time as a videographer and photographer. If you want to document it coming to life I'd be more than happy to come down and film/photo it for you.

Let me know!

Cheers!

P.s. - those engine doors are bad a55.

Chris.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 8:20pm
🚤
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 8:27pm
Thank you, My local flooring store tracked it down for me, it's called Marmoleum which I believe is an Armstrong product.[/QUOTE]

Alan, I work for Mohawk Industries as a carpet rep here in Atlanta.
Very good friend, and fraternity brother, works for Forbo.....they make that Marmoleum product. Good stuff. Real linoleum! Made from linseed oil (pretty sure).
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Thank you, My local flooring store tracked it down for me, it's called Marmoleum which I believe is an Armstrong product.

Alan, I work for Mohawk Industries as a carpet rep here in Atlanta.
Very good friend, and fraternity brother, works for Forbo.....they make that Marmoleum product. Good stuff. Real linoleum! Made from linseed oil (pretty sure).[/QUOTE]

After college in the late 80's and early 90's I worked for Armstrong World Industries and then for Shaw Industries as a carpet rep. Your post brought back some gold memories. Sorry for the thread jack.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 10:55am
Hey Alan, that boat is looking awesome! Just curious where about you are going to give her a water test at? That would be cool to see.
levin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

Hey Alan, that boat is looking awesome! Just curious where about you are going to give her a water test at? That would be cool to see.

Not sure yet Mark but it won't be the Illinois river. Too dangerous a place to have a problem and lose power. I'll probably run to the Fox river in St Charles. I can tie up there at the launch and do what I need.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 9:30am
Sounds good, hope to run into you guys in Morris some time, hopefully this weather takes a turn for the better. Getting tired of the windy, cool weekends. We did make it out last Sunday, nice day, water was cold but I bought a new wetsuit this winter for that problem, what a great purchase. We'll see you around.
levin
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 12:03pm

Not sure yet Mark but it won't be the Illinois river. Too dangerous a place to have a problem and lose power. I'll probably run to the Fox river in St Charles. I can tie up there at the launch and do what I need.

Why not take it to a lake?

Looks like Deep Quarry is nearby and it has a nice boat ramp.

Same with up Up to the north east on Busse Lake on the Ned Brown Preserve.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Why not take it to a lake?

Looks like Deep Quarry is nearby and it has a nice boat ramp.

Same with up Up to the north east on Busse Lake on the Ned Brown Preserve.

I live out in the sticks, nearest "power boat" lakes to me are over an hour away, so a test drive basically turns into a whole day. Fox river launch is 20 minutes, that will work fine, Thanks
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 10:34pm
How bout lake ozarks Alan?

I'd love to feel the hemi.

Make room on that trophy shelf!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 1:16pm
thoroughly aggravated with my powder coater.. trailer was supposed to be done last Friday but obviously it wasn't. then was told to pick it up yesterday but I called and it hasn't even been sandblasted yet. So now 2 weeks behind schedule and at the mercy of suppliers, time crunch is going to start to be a problem for a complete boat for GL.

I think the best medicine for this weekend is to drop the 200 in and go for a ski. Then Monday I'll drop in on the powder coater and see what the heck is going on.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 1:31pm
Alan,
Sorry to hear about the problem. Yes, some just do not know how to run a business. I'm sure you'll give the guy plenty of recommendations!!

You could have sprayed it yourself in the two weeks he's taken. I've sprayed plenty of non critical finish jobs in the back yard. No drop cloth is needed. The grass gets the overspray but the next time you run the mower over it, it's gone!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 1:38pm
meanwhile, I tented the bow of the boat earlier n the week and got a final coat of varnish on a few nights ago.   Got an absolutely beautiful finish coat down and although I was talked out of this a few months ago I should have followed my gut and done this for the stern deck and transom also. The wet sand and buff routine is for the birds.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Sorry to hear about the problem. Yes, some just do not know how to run a business. I'm sure you'll give the guy plenty of recommendations!!

You could have sprayed it yourself in the two weeks he's taken. I've sprayed plenty of non critical finish jobs in the back yard. No drop cloth is needed. The grass gets the overspray but the next time you run the mower over it, it's gone!

He did a lot of fab work to it that I don't have the tools to do plus I have no way of sandblasting it Pete.   He's a good guy and like most small businesses is running under staffed so I try to be reasonable but we'll have a heart to heart Monday. My biggest gripe is when you're given a time frame and it doubles later. I even dropped the trailer off and at his request to speed things brought it back home spent an evening breaking free all the hanger bolts, axle u bolts, etc. I actually broke a u bolt doing so, slipped back and landed on a bunk support. broke a rib in the process but it's been so long I am 90 percent healed already. LOL. I think I work like a friggin animal but get *************** done.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 3:10pm
Spent some time this weekend going through my paperwork looking for my bill of sale so I can get this thing registered and came across some old photos I forgot I even had. These are from the guy I bought the boat from before pulling it out of the barn. SO you don't have to go back 37 pages for the history, the boat was blocked up in the barn in 1975 where it was just forgotten about until 2001.

The boat was discovered by Tim Brown, purchased and brought to his home garage where he started dismantling it. After several years Tim's health became an issue and he could no longer work on the boat. In 2008 Dana and I picked the boat up from Tim and started the beginning of a 5 year road trip. You all know where we are now but here's a few shots of it in 2001. I still keep in touch with Tim, as recently as 2 weeks ago and send him progress pictures.

That's about an 1/8" of barn dust on her. You'll also notice the fuel vent facing forward, glad we got that straightened out.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 4:47pm
Any update on the trailer? Does your guy realize there might be a throng of angry old boat guys showing up at his shop if it isn't done by next weekend?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Any update on the trailer? Does your guy realize there might be a throng of angry old boat guys showing up at his shop if it isn't done by next weekend?

No trailer yet. I'll post his phone number if I don't have a date by tomorrow

Also got stood up by the pin striper twice last week. 2 appointments, no show, no call. So I went online and bought a stripe tool and did it myself last weekend.   Was just going to do the perimeter but it came out good so I did the entire boat. He called yesterday to see if he could come out and do it, told him I did it myself and he almost choked.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 5:38pm

...but it came out good so I did the entire boat.

Come on Alan, you know the rules, POIDH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3536373839 50>
  Share Topic