NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 ENGINE INITIAL TIMING???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 ENGINE INITIAL TIMING???
    Posted: May-04-2008 at 11:03pm
i seem to be having trouble maintaining a set time on my engine. i set the initial timing to 10 degrees but after i run the boat it is way off, to the point where it wont idle in gear and still runs rough out of gear. engine is at idle (about 600rpm) when timing is set and distributer set screw is tightened after setting time and is not moving. where and what should i be looking for to correct this? just recently began happening. thanks
hukt on fonix helpt me
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 11:26pm
Sounds like a new timing chain and gear set are in your future.An easy test is pull the dist. cap and roll the motor backwards. the rotor should turn as soon as you roll the motor . Any lag will tell you the degree of slop in the chain,,,,,,,,,,,
        Boat dr
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:30am
makes sense. i will try that this afternoon and let you know what happens. thanks for the fast response
hukt on fonix helpt me
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:52am
Is it off permanently or does it fluctuate back and forth? Could just need new advance springs. If the springs are worn out or plates sticking the advance may not be returning to your 10 initial.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:13pm
right. i actually planned on replacing cap, rotor, and points so i may as well check that while im in there. i revved it up several times with no load on it while watching the timing light and it seemed to return to normal, but i only revved it once or twice while watching. thanks for the input, ill definitely check that out!
hukt on fonix helpt me
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:31pm
I'm at a lost for the set screw you are talking about. There should be a bolt holding the clamp to the manifold that holds the dist in place rotationally.
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:37pm
im sorry, thats what i was referring to.
hukt on fonix helpt me
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 9:44pm
i popped the cap on the distributer and turned motor over backwards while watching rotor. rotor did not move immediately. i got a hair or so turn on the wrench before it moved. is this satisfactory? also, should i be able to move rotor back and forth in a rotational motion with my hand about an eighth of and inch or so both ways?
hukt on fonix helpt me
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:37pm
Any slack tells me there is wear or slack in the timing chain. How many hours on the clock?
The rotational slack you are feeling on the rotor is normal, not to be alarmed by this....
You have said you were moving the distr. to retime it , are you losing advance each time ?
Meaning if you set it at 6 degrees and later checked it were you back at 1 or 2 or even less????? This will indicate a slippage at the timing chain or possibly the drive gear of the distr.
Just some food for thought.......Boat dr
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:15pm
yes.. i set the time at 10 degrees and after running it the time is around 5 or so. what would be the best course of action to take at this point?
hukt on fonix helpt me
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:48pm
My first impression would be the timing chain, but just for giggles pull the distr, and check the drive gear. If that is not the culprit then step B is remove the front cover.
A double row timing chain and sprockets are the only way to go. Sumitt brand is just as good a deal.An afternoon and a hundred bucks should give you a rock steady timing base......Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:19am
Originally posted by 76'SN 76'SN wrote:

yes.. i set the time at 10 degrees and after running it the time is around 5 or so. what would be the best course of action to take at this point?

That doesn't make any sense, you're saying that everytime you run the engine the chain is stretching 5 degrees. I don't see how that can be unless it's totally trash and I think you'ld see more movement when you checked it earlier if it was.

I still would check the distributor first like boat dr says, could be the pin that holds the gear on is worn or broken and the gear is moving enough to throw your timing off. If the dist checks out then throw a good chain on it.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:26am
Allen take a look at you timing marks, see how close the little marks are? Now try to imagine 5 degrees of rotation, aint much is it. A double row wont do it but the old stlye surely will, been there done that.....Boat dr
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:46am
should bother checking the advance spring? i really didnt want to unless necessary simply because of all of the parts removal to get to it. but more than likely a new timing chain and gears would correct this problem, right?
hukt on fonix helpt me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:47am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Allen take a look at you timing marks, see how close the little marks are? Now try to imagine 5 degrees of rotation, aint much is it. A double row wont do it but the old stlye surely will, been there done that.....Boat dr

Agreed, a timing chain will stretch but if it's growing at that rate it's no longer stretching it's breaking. Won't be long before it jumps a tooth, the factory gears are usually nylon and probably giving up too. I'd be inclined to invest a hundred bucks and a few hours and change it right now.
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:52am
also i meant to add, with this boat being a 76' is this safe to blame normal wear for this problem? i figured a chain would to a pretty good job of maintaining its setting. what would cause the drive gear to shear. didnt think there was enough play in them to get loose enough to wear.
hukt on fonix helpt me
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:55am
alan, you mention the factory gears may be nylon. are the replacement gears be made of nylon as well? i dont mind investing the money. i am definitely going to check it out. is there a site where i can order this stuff? and is there any diff in a normal 351 gear and chain set since these motors are reverse rotating?
hukt on fonix helpt me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 1:25am

alan, you mention the factory gears may be nylon. are the replacement gears be made of nylon as well? i dont mind investing the money. i am definitely going to check it out. is there a site where i can order this stuff? and is there any diff in a normal 351 gear and chain set since these motors are reverse rotating?

Once again Summit is good for your gear set, I put a Cloyes in mine, don't have any experience with Summits set but most of their house brand items are made by the big guys anyway so it's probably fine.

A good set will have steel gears, timing chain wear is a fact of life. I put 750 hours on a 351 PCM and thought it was dying, replaced the timing set and brought it back to life.

Make sure you get your gasket set at Skidim not the local auto parts store. Call and tell them what you're doing and they'll set you up.
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 4:19am
i plan on looking into that first thing in the morning and hopefully be running by this weekend! my hour meter quit working at 817hrs, and that was a few years ago. what gaskets should i need to go back together? i planned on getting them when i buy the chain and gears.
hukt on fonix helpt me
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 5:21am
i found these two items from summit. cloyes chain and gear set along with timing cover gaskets. how does this look? should this get the job done and is this one the double row like you referring to?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CLO%2D9%2D3535X9&view=32&N=700+150+4294840125&appfilter=1#Application
and http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FEL-TCS45008
hukt on fonix helpt me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 10:17am

i found these two items from summit. cloyes chain and gear set along with timing cover gaskets. how does this look? should this get the job done and is this one the double row like you referring to?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CLO%2D9%2D3535X9&view=32&N=700+150+4294840125&appfilter=1#Application
and http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FEL-TCS45008

I don't think that gasket set is going to work, call skidim and get PCM gaskets. Make sure you tell then you're replacing a chain as I think they'll need to get you an oil pan set. You'll need the front pan gasket and also need to cut the cork gaskets for the bottom corners of the pan gasket. Make sure you use some permatex in those bottom corners when putting it back together when putting.

The cloyes is a good chain but little spendy, Take a look at all the options as I think you'd find a cheaper unit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 10:56am
It sounds like the clamp holding the dist is screwed up and not working right.

Grap the whole dist cap and try rotating it if it moves then I'm right.
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 1:26pm
the distributer WILL NOT move once clamp is tightened. it is even hard to move if the clamp is finger tightened. how much should i expect spend on a good durable brand if gear sets and chain. im not trying to be cheap because i realize alot of times u get what you pay for and i dont want to go through this again.
hukt on fonix helpt me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 1:34pm
well if the chain is shot then everthing else isn't far behind so you might as well re-build the whole thing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 1:45pm
Any old 351w timing cover gasket set will work, you will need an oil pan gasket as well. Any old double roller timing gear and chain set will work as a replacement and probably last the rest of the life of the motor as you have significant hours at this point.

Either way your going to have to pull the distributor, so before jumping into it I would pull the dist and check the gear for wear.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 1:47pm
That timing set looks fine. A Comp or Crane double roller for ~$40 would probably work, but $85 for a Cloyes True Roller isnt bad- thats where my money would go.
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 2:26pm
jus pulled the distributor and no gear wear is to be seen. shaft and gear seemed to be very well oiled. pin is not twisted. if i hold the gear and turn the rotor with my other hand it has a springing action one way that moves almost 1/8in in that direction but springs back when i let go. is this normal? other than that all is good with the distributor. i talkted with my local nautique mechanic and he seemed to agree with the diagnosis. again i appreciate all of the input!
hukt on fonix helpt me
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 4:20pm

if i hold the gear and turn the rotor with my other hand it has a springing action one way that moves almost 1/8in in that direction but springs back when i let go. is this normal?

Normal, thats just your centrifical advance thats why is only in one direction.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 8:13pm
ok. good deal. im working on get a gear set and chain together now and will let you all know what happens.
hukt on fonix helpt me
76'SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76'SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 8:52pm
am i going to need a puller to remove the harmonic balancer? i am picking up a cloye gear set and chain with all gaskets tomorrow.
hukt on fonix helpt me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic