NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

red kneck engine hoist

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: red kneck engine hoist
    Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:45am
Is there a patent on these or is this an original?
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:46am
sweet finally got a picture to work, now if I can figure out how I did it.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:47am
A piece of wood under the bell housing would be a lot easier wouldn't it?
Tim D
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:52am
I saw a post with a cumalong on a pylon, so I thought I had to be able to move it up and down. I thought it worked pretty slick.
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:24am
This here is a redneck hoist:

Before you give me a hard time about the boat in the picture, please review this post

Thank you,
Mike

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:50am
ripsaw thats a pretty nice hoist, the straps are a bit redneck but the aluminum sawhorse is just too nice.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:13am
rip....you better be changing that ugly damper too...pull it off, you will regret it if you dont....punch in dampers on the search feature and read the causes and effects of a bad damper
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:13am
BTW, nice jobs on the hoists
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:26am
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

This here is a redneck hoist:

Before you give me a hard time about the boat in the picture, please review this post

Thank you,
Mike

Looks like they're going to have to put some cement blocks under the legs if the engine's going to come out.

Is that boat a special anniversary addition?
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:28am
69 that is a redneck hoist, did someone do the math right? Looks like it might be a little to short to get it out. eric I figured you say that, do you want to just send one back with my tranny? p.s. I'm still stoked I got a picture to work.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:46am
Nice hoist job. I especially like the can of cheap beer in the photo! PBR is my beer of choice of working on boat projects

Next time, it may be easier to use 2 bottle jacks underneath the exhaust manifolds. A few guys on here swear by that method (never tried it myself).

-Brad

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Nice hoist job. I especially like the can of cheap beer in the photo! PBR is my beer of choice of working on boat projects
-Brad

Pabst who owns the Schlitz label is test marketing the original version of the Schlitz brew in hopes of bringing back a "economical" beer!!

I'm one who swears by the bottle jack trick!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:29am
real men such as myself lift the engine by hand and block it,lol if you believe that one I'll tell you another, sometimes it is possible to lift by hand it depends where the front mounts are and the balancing point
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 7:30pm
I didn't realize there was any other kind of beer. I like the bottle jack idea, but i've got more ratchet straps than bottle jacks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:26pm
i miss schlitz and p.o.c, last resort which is what id do on v-12 cats and it works on these boats as well is to remove the back mount adjusting nuts on the top of the trans bracket, loosen the front pinch bolts and use the back remaining adjusting nuts, the ones underneath the mounts to raise the trans by turning them cc and then block the trans and bring the nuts back down....learned this method accidentally because i forgot my come alongs. works very well
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:56pm
nice hoist where did the swings and slide go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 9:41am
for a minute Pete i thought someone contracted you to build them an a-frame
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 1:44am

I can draw up some plans for this one if anyone needs them.

Farmer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 10:45am
does the name farmer have anything to do with this? lol I'll post some pics tonight of how i am lifting a 25 bayliner, your gonna ***************, compared to your feat of engineering, you will change your opinion of me
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 10:46am
Gary- Like the engine crane system you have there. I was thinking the other day that a couple sections of pipe staging with heafty boards spanning two sections would make a pretty good boat or engine hoist system.
-Brad
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:21am

Brad,the staging idea should work great.A couple of braces to the ground like I used or an X brace between the staging would be good.

Eric,I look forward to your engineering mastery unveiled for all to admire.

Farmer
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:03am
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

69 that is a redneck hoist, did someone do the math right? Looks like it might be a little to short to get it out.

the redneck math looks spot on.

All you have to do is take off the wheels and drag the boat forward on the concrete.!

Simple.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:17am
Farmer, it really is safe i think the way i do it, everyone says it isnt but i go under the boats all the time. I put the transom on my car lift and will lift the front with a forklift and go as high as i can. the Bayliner was pushung it though cause it weighs 7500lbs
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:21am

as you can see the cheap Bayliners dont have a lift eye up on deck so i had to use one fork on the front ring. at this point i will inch the car lift then the forklift until i get close to the ceiling and try to block
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:26am
BTW for you guys that paint thier bottems if you notice the copper paint on the boat bottem, it is a high teflon content bottem paint, it is actually smoother than the gel and sprays on as smooth as the gel. the actual color is blue and will turn color when submerged.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:28am
Eric, I think OSHA would have some nice things to say regarding your technique! I have to look it up in my 29 CFR part 1910 standards! I seem to remember a general clause about using lifting devices outside of their intended design.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:33am
nothing a hundred dollar bill couldnt take care of
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:36am
there is a hole in the end of the fork that the ring is sitting in, im not that crazy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:48am
I think the number of employees needed at a workplace is 10 before OSHA can come in so you probably have nothing to worry about. If you do ever run into a OSHA inspector, DO NOT consider the 100 bill trick! We would end up getting a collection of money going here with our members to bail you out of a federal jail!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:51am
it would be a gift
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic