Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut & Shaft Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 7:38pm
Got the coupler on. Worked on the rear mounts and ended up breaking both studs. I see that I can buy new studs and isolators, but where do I get the trunnions that are seized to the old ones??.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2011 at 9:31am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

so Pete, since its ok to slide hammer the shaft out, Cant we just beat the shaft in?

Eric,
Things slow at work - need some trans work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 3:35pm
I'm finally making some decent progress now.

I ended up having to use a real torch to get the trunnion pins loose in order to reuse them. After cleaning everything up and reassembling, I was able to get the engine aligned in (3) attempts. Amazing, considering how much things were off.

Should be able to finish re-installing the exhaust tonight and possibly lap the prop to the shaft. Still lots to do before I get to take her for a test ride!
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2011 at 1:31am
Some picts of the work thus far:

Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 3:02am
Finally got the boat running but now have a leaking RWP and some transmission issues.

I replaced the impeller and was very careful when doing so. It seems that the leak stems from the shaft, but what would cause this and do I need a rebuild? It worked fine prior to replacing the impeller. Could merely taking it apart and putting it back together somehow damage the shaft seal causing it to leak?

The transmission issues include:
-in neutral, the shaft spins pretty consistently but is sometimes intermittent
-the shaft will not stop spinning going in and out of both forward and reverse (going to neutral)
-a distinct chatter type noise can be heard in both forward and reverse, but it tends to be more noticeable in reverse

I am at a loss as to what is wrong with the transmission, as it was just rebuilt last July and has less than 10 hours on it and the brand new damper. It ran fine after the rebuild last season, and I made sure to closely monitor everything to make sure the noise was gone and it shifted properly, which it did. What could have possibly happened???? I feel that I've done everything that has been recommended thus far to make things run smoothly, so I am confounded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 9:55am
you having these issues in the driveway?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 10:00am
Yes.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 10:21am
You want to avoid turning the shaft in the driveway. The cutlass is lake lubbed. You could put some soapy water on it for a quick d-way test.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 10:31am
and there is no load on the prop in the drive, so you will get alot of the symptoms you are describing
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 10:56am
Yes, I lubed the cutlass bearing prior to shifting in/out of gear and did not keep it in gear for very long at all.

Eric - I understand what you are saying, but none of these symptoms were evident after the rebuild and that is why I am concerned. Are you saying that I should get it in the water and perform the same tests before worrying anymore about this?

What about the RWP? Any suggestions?
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 11:55pm
Should there be a paper gasket as well as an o-ring to seal the RWP? This does not seem right to me, but it is what I found when I replaced the impeller. Also, there is rust on the visible part of the shaft, so I am beginning to think that the shaft seal may have been leaking a little even before I replaced the impeller and I didn't notice it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 10:03am
try it in the water, its possible that now the boat is aligned that there is no load at all on the prop shaft holding it. to many variables with the boat out of water
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 10:24am
Eric:

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Is this normal for boats that are aligned properly?

Thanks!
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 12:50am
Eric:

I de-coupled the prop shaft tonight and the transmission does the exact same thing as described previously. I got inside the boat to listen this time, and I definitely hear a bad noise (like something broken inside clanking around) coming from the trans. More prominent in reverse than forward.

I will give you a shout tomorrow to discuss further.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 9:50am
like i tell the wife, you need a load.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2011 at 9:53am
i drove all the way to Holland Michigan one time on a Friday night last minute, because the Sea-Ray dealer said the transmission was coming apart, got there, hooked up the coupling dropped it in the water, and mysteriously the noise dis-appeared.
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2011 at 5:56pm
Eric:

You the man!! To think I ever doubted you. Just got back from the reservoir and, as far as I can tell, the trans performed well. I did not have the hood attached (don't have floor piece done yet), so I had to stop, shut the boat off, remove the hood, start the boat again, and then make my checks. I did not notice the infamous "rattling" noise, but the shaft still slightly rotated in neutral on occasion but was better than when in the driveway. I didn't have it on the water for a long time, so I guess I will monitor again the next time.

The only bad thing that happened is while docking the boat to take it out, I lost the ability to go into both forward and reverse. The shift control seemed locked and would not allow me to shift; it's like some one put a padlock on it. I've never had any issues with this. Any clue on what this new problem is?

BTW, idle rpm was at 750ish when I first got the boat going, and right before taking it out, it seeemed to be close to 900. What would cause this?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 5:09am
Rob, I have a feeling there was an issue with the strut on these martiniques. I have a 78, and the strut is tweaked exactly the same as yours.   I think the struts for these were made incorrectly and not in line as they should be.

Also, did yours have set screws to hold the bushing in, or did/does it have what appears to be brass all thread that was ground off?   Mine appears to have the latter.

On minei don't ha e the alignment issue yours had. The big issue on mine is the tweaked strut. I'm going to bend that back, get the new strut bushing in, get the alignment dead on and hopefully run it over the 4th.

If I see one more tweaked strut on an early martinique, then I will know for sure the part was made wrong.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 11:29am
it doesnt pay to be a worry wart. it will make an old man out of you
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2011 at 4:27pm
Good call Eric. After thinking it over, I have a feeling that the struts simply bend in the direction Robs and mine went. Must be due to the ds rotation.

I'll get it fixed hopefully this week yet, and enjoy the boat and my much earned 4DAY weekend.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
Robb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 1:55am
Tom:

I'm not sure what to think about my situation. I can believe Pete's statements about factory issues and having to shim the strut with the brass plate I discovered, but as for the strut itself being bent, I'm really beginning to think that mine got bent due to a good whack job that may have also tweaked the shaft log enough that it had to have some glass work to fix it. I could be wrong, but the engine is sitting far left to get proper alignment, and I wouldn't guess that this is normal. Could also have come from the factory like this, but I am going to choose to believe they didn't do things that bad.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 4:12am
I have a feeling that the strut is designed to be off to the side like a mc.

I'm planning on having my boat back on the water on friday.

Rob, after seeing my boats battery box nearly completely glassed in from the factory, nothing surprises me.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 10:01am
well if the UAW guys use to shove Pepsi bottles in the rockers of new 65 Impala's, surely boat building guys arent going to fix an engine to the left
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic