Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w Fresh Paint and Chrome Valve Covers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

My Chevy/OMC is plumbed through the pump first, then back through the trans then back up front to the thermostat.

Interesting, it's certainly not wrong I just haven't seen it done that way before. Seems like a lot of unnecessary hose though.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

My Chevy/OMC is plumbed through the pump first, then back through the trans then back up front to the thermostat.

Interesting, it's certainly not wrong I just haven't seen it done that way before. Seems like a lot of unnecessary hose though.

Our OMC 454 was plumbed the same way. Conquerer/Crusader did it too. Very hose-intensive motors! I try and simplify the cooling system when I can, using PCM's routing as a guide. Much cleaner.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:18pm
I probably wouldn't change the non-pcm motors to the pcm routing, most pumps are much better at pushing than pulling, and some are worse than others at self priming. While a much simpler routing and we all know that it is tried and true with thier pumps and their engines what PCM is doing would not be considered best practice.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:30pm
All your older true marinized engines where always set up with the suction line directly to the RWP and then to the cooler. With the cooler up front, this meant long oil lines usually hard piped. I think the current method was a economy move.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:30pm
Joe, I assume your concern would be any additional hose length between the pick up and RWP?

If so, most of the time you can make the change without adding any length- just putting the trans cooler in line rather than running additional lines back to it.

Conq/Crus used the same Sherwood pump design (slightly different case) as PCM, fwiw. OMC did use some oddball stuff (ours cross referenced to a Mercruiser RWP).
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:00pm
One advantage of plumbing it direct from the hull pickup to the RWP:

If the tranny cooler happens to gum up with gunk (there is no clear bowl water strainer) at least it won't starve the impeller of water. With the tranny cooler first, if there's an obstruction, the RWP could pull air and get burned out.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joe, I assume your concern would be any additional hose length between the pick up and RWP?

If so, most of the time you can make the change without adding any length- just putting the trans cooler in line rather than running additional lines back to it.

Conq/Crus used the same Sherwood pump design (slightly different case) as PCM, fwiw. OMC did use some oddball stuff (ours cross referenced to a Mercruiser RWP).

I am thinking the concern would be the pressure drop of the trans cooler. As long as it was the same cooler and the same pump between the two engines you can assume that you will probably live though. The added joints on the suction side are also places to pull air and possibly cause trouble. You want your leaks on the pressurized side if at all possible that way they are easier to detect and less likely to be of a critical nature.

None of it is likely anything to lose sleep about but I defintely see where the engineers were going when they were adding all that hose.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 10:46pm
my '99 SAN takes a lap around the v-drive before hitting the t-stat housing...14 extra feet of hose...yikes...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 12:31am
My understanding is that measuring across the intake manifold, a 302 should be 9" wide and a 351 10 3/4" wide.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 12:44am
I didn't think my hose was big enough.
So, I had my 1" hose removed and put in some 1 1/4" hose.

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 1:22am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

So, I had my 1" hose removed and put in some 1 1/4" hose.

That hurts just thinkin' bout it
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Was that considered cosmetic surgery and did your insurance cover it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic