NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new 2001 and my first!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223>
Author
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 12:16am
[QUOTE=akabulla] Thanks Chopper. It better be special for the price! I feel kind of weird putting an Air logo on it since it is a 2001 but I really like the logo and of course I like the way your boat looks !! /QUOTE]

I don't know what they're worth over there, but mine cost me nearly $600 big ones here.

US CC dealers would not sell them to me.!
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 12:18am
[QUOTE=akabulla] Thanks Chopper. It better be special for the price! I feel kind of weird putting an Air logo on it since it is a 2001 but I really like the logo and of course I like the way your boat looks !! [QUOTE]

I don't know what they're worth over there, but mine cost me nearly $600 big ones here.

US CC dealers would not sell them to me.!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 4:27am
Aka those raised decals sound cool they would also match well with the transom decal.

Never seen the 2009 decal in the flesh but I like it much more than the cluttered look of the 2008 decal with the coat of arms type print.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 7:51pm
Well got her out last night and got some skiing done for the first time! Well knee boarding. Still buying all my stuff.

Few pictures:

Tower on:

Tower Collapsed

Floor in (that Lowe's carpet sures looks good!):

Raised Dog house in and carpeted:

Doing what it was built for!

Now we just need some seats - LOL!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 7:52pm
Ohh yea. Also checked the weight on the tongue. Pretty close to the 10% of the boat.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 10:19pm
Aka, what prop are you running and how is the boat performing?
Wot speed and rpms?? rpms at boarding speed?

It really came together amazingly nice, and it didnt take that long.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 10:37pm
Another legend in the CCF annals!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 1:30am
The boat is running great. I have pushed it to 4800 rpms and she still has a little left.

Critter and I went out today and he said the boat doesn't even know I am back there when he pulls me out of the water.

It is running really smooth, planes out well. It is turning much harder to the left and not backing up that well to the right so I am going to adjust the steering a little but overall there haven't been any large issues.

It is running pretty good.

There is a small leak in the left Exhaust which I need to find. I think I just need to tighten the hose clamps. The bilge was filling up with enough water to run the pump every 3-4 minutes but overall it wasn't that much!

I have the ACME 422 4 blade on it right now. With two people in it the speed matches the rpm's pretty close. I plan on getting a perfect pass eventually so I didn't cut a hole in the hull for the paddle wheel for the speedo so we have been using a gps device to track speed.

Stereo will go in tomorrow and once I get the upholstery in I will start on the seat cushions. The wood bench I have in there now is a little hard on the buttocks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 11:12am
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

not backing up that well to the right

This is nature of the beast, so I don't think you will fix this!

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 11:29am
Man, you gotta be feelin' good!

Check my strut adjustment thread. I went through this with my '79 and now my '88. I'm no pro, but I am detailed and these set ups seem to run happy with everything right in line.

When you get it right on you'll be able to let go of the wheel at 45(running a straight line) and you won't feel 'odd vibes' one way or the other...even on a hard turn!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 5:57pm
I do and thanks for your help through all this.

Thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate it!

Greg do you have a link to that thread? I did a search and can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 10:22am
Most welcome!

This is in boat maintenance 6 or 8 posts down. Try turning your rudder straight and see if you can see the shaft on one side or the other.

In another recent post I thought I might have been talking out of my backside about this. Since, I have it from a good source that these boats were not designed with an offset. I've also seen some variation in brand new replacement struts. Also, most of the 2001 rudders I've seen have a leading edge.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. My boat was a pig before I shimmed it to line it up. The problem I had with the shims is that I didn't have a solid joint between the foot and hull and got vibration in a hard turn. 2 itchy arms, a little cuss and fuss, and 2 tanks of carbon footprint later...smooooth!!!

I think it would pass the 'wine glass on the dash' test except for the sudden start.   
1988 BFN-sold

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 1:16am
Greg, I took the boat out today looking for the leak I had and while I was out I tried taking my hands off the wheel at about 45 mph and she rides perfectly straight. I guess everything is lined up pretty well.

I did find the leak. It looks like I didn't put enough 4200 on the Exhaust tips that go through the back of the boat. This time I gobbed so much one day cure 5200 on the boat and the inside of the tips that I guarantee water will never get in through those holes again!!

Anyone know a good supplier for the original Nautique vinyl? My local dealer said he could get it straight from the factory so I am waiting on samples.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 1:28am
For skins - Christines, one of our site's sponsors.

Ben Franklin
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 12:58pm
Yup, She was the first one I emailed. She said if she had the boat she could do it but she can only send originals and that won't work since my seats won't be an original match. I might just try to buy the material from her and do ti myself.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 12:18am
Gosh you have many talents!

Ben Franklin
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 12:35am
why dot you send her the seats and have it profesionally done as close to original?

In the meantime you could ride on "provisional" seats.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 5:23pm
Well I finally got the samples for the original vinyl colors that match my interior so I should be getting the vinyl by the end of next week. I already got the 2" and 1" foam so once the vinyl gets here I can start on the seats!

Greg, I heard that you use to have trouble getting your boat on the trailer the same way every time. I am having a little trouble loading mine. It seems like when I bring it on the trailer the bow is always a little low. I almost have to have the trailer half way out of the water to get the back down so the nose is high enough.

Any pointers to get the stern lower when loading the trailer? I can't lower the tongue anymore.

Thanks!
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 12:52pm
bump...email notifications weren't working yesterday!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 5:02pm
Well since you have a trailer for a newer hull design you'll never load the boat the way you want to. It sure looks like the wishbone is wider, leaving your boat sitting lower. Also, the bow stop may be mounted higher because it was made for a bigger (probably taller too) boat.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 7:05pm
hmmmm...so you think I would need a older style trailer for my boat huh? That suxs! Guess I will try to make it work!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 7:26pm
The newer boats that the trailer was built for (196/206, presumably) are obviously longer, but definitely no taller/deeper than the 2001. I dont see why loading would be any different

Aka, are you coming in below the crash pads? If not, dont worry about it
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2009 at 9:20pm
I've never measured the exact dimensions of the wishbones, but look at the back end of aka's picture. The bunks are hanging off the side of the hull. This would not happen on a 2001 trailer. The wishbone is wider and the hull is narrower. As you're loading the boat is still floating in the water further up the trailer. I also believe the BOAT is taller. Moving the bowstop forward will get the boat further up the trailer where it narrows out, but will increase your tongue weight. I also think it's fine how it is however and you'll figure out where it likes to load. If you really don't like it now cut and lower the crash pad bar or weld on another tab down low and throw some deeper boards on there.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 12:18pm
I am not coming in below the crash pads. The issue is that it hits about 1 foot below where it rests on the crash pad when it is out of the water. So I drive it to the pad, we need to loosen the connection on the bow a fair amount for it to reach. Then when pulling it out of the water the bow rises on the crash pad and puts a lot of strain on the rub rail. The rub rail looks like it is going to be pulled off the edge.

I think your right. We will just keep on playing with locations and figure out what works best.

I have been out 4 times this week boarding and I am LOVING it!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2009 at 12:40pm
Just saw this...my issue is on a shallow ramp like at the river. I need to add a roller so that the keel doesn't have to get scratched every time.

Every ramp is different so you'll find the happy spot. Glad to hear you're making waves!
1988 BFN-sold

Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 3:29pm
I generally stop about an inch shy of the pad. Hook it good pull it out. Find flat ground then brake hard. The boat moves foreward and the bow rises that last little bit. Then I tighten the bow and strap the stern. Easy and I like how it rides on the trailer after brake-checking her.
My Blue 82SOLD!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Andy Andy wrote:

I generally stop about an inch shy of the pad. Hook it good pull it out. Find flat ground then brake hard. The boat moves foreward and the bow rises that last little bit. Then I tighten the bow and strap the stern. Easy and I like how it rides on the trailer after brake-checking her.

My process is the same as Andy's. I like to be able to walk around and double check everything once I get it slid up to the front and secured.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2009 at 11:15pm
That is good to know because that has started to become my process. Wasn't sure if it was a good thing to do but it seems to work! Glad I am not alone. Thanks for the tips!

I am trying to recall my electrical engineering classes from school because I want to get a GPS receiver and program it to work with my speedo. It will be a temporary solution until I get the perfect pass. I could install a paddle wheel that works with my speedo but I really don't feel like cutting a large 2" hole in the bottom for something I won't be using in a few months once the pp is installed. I found a gps receiver that puts out speedo for less than $100. Then I should be able to translate that to the correct voltage to feed the speedo.

If I figure it out I will post some specs and wiring diagrams.

Later
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2009 at 12:36am
Joey, I have a GPS that has Speed that I can let you borrow for a while. It is a Garmin GPS III (not the Plus) and I really do not use it. Got it to replace the GPS III Plus that I lost but did not like it and picked up another GPS III Plus.
I will even sell it to you cheap if you want it.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 1:47pm
Well I found exactly what I was looking for. It is a GPS sender to replace your paddle wheel. It works with all electrical type speedo devices. The paddle wheel was $112 and this device is $210 after converting it from Australian currency.   So for a little more than $100 over the paddle wheel I will have GPS and get to use my matching speedo and don't have to cut a hole in my boat! Perfect pass will have to wait till next summer. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.hummingbirdelectronics.com.au/senders.html

Once I get it installed I will let you know how it works!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223>
  Share Topic