NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what distributor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what distributor?
    Posted: September-25-2007 at 12:09pm
Well, starting to make some sense of this advance now. My distributor is clearly marked on the side YLM, this first picture is of a YLM

This next picture is of a YHM advance set up which is clearly what I have.

Maybe I got caught up in a design/model number change but it sure has been a pain to figure out what the heck I've got here. May get a chance to play with this over the weekend.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 12:35am
Played with the Advance today and had no luck.   My YLM looks nothing like the diagram in the link above. There are no "arms" to control advance stop. There are 2 allen type screws that look like they would control the total advance by adjusting the bottom plate but it is already adjusted to the max.

Think I'll take a picure of the mechanism and see what you guys suggest. I can't find anything on the Mallory site about setting total advance except the pdf above and that must be for an older model dis.

So for now I'm stuck with about 18 degrees of advance. I've got my initial set real high just so I can get more total but I know it's not right. I'll listen for ping tommorrow and see how it runs.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 1:46am
If you gotta miss C/C day I guess Key West is the place to be.

Wouldn't mind seeing you before you head back north. You guys can come over this way and we'll get Eddie and MM's Orlando gang together for dinner or something.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 11:31am
went to Key West for the week end, and had a pretty good time there.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 2:23am
Chris: You missed a great day...as you can see by the pics.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2007 at 12:10am
Allan if you have a dial caliber then you could use that by locking it down at a set distance, and using the side you would for an inside diameter should work just as good as the stick gauge in the curve kit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 9:29pm
don't need the gauges just mark it with a sharpie and do a little trial and error. Believe you just need to close the ap a little.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 4:04pm
A little light reading, Thanks Tom for always pointing me in the right direction.
advance curves Looks like you might have to buy the curve kit to get the advance stop gauge.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

You don't really need springs yet, you need to open the stops to increase the final.

Makes sense, I wish the darn thing came with some kind of instructions on adjustment. There's more info on the web than comes with it. Could have done some tinkering with it at the campgrounds if it had. Looks like I'll have to do a little reading tonight.

Sort of slow progress when you're learning as you go.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 1:51pm
You don't really need springs yet, you need to open the stops to increase the final.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by kelpomatic kelpomatic wrote:

alan,
i bet 79 can offer advice on your mallory, sucks to spend that money for a downgrade in performance, did you replace the coil as well?

The coil is the one DIM sells for their EI conversion and the boat runs 51 mph with the old EI conversion kit in it. I planned on upgrading the coil later and I didn't expect to really pick up anything without replacing the coil but I really didn't expect to go backwards either.

I think it's just going to take some tuning with springs.
kelpomatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 1:09pm
i contacted pertronix, they did not offer my application.
reverse 351w,
alan,
i bet 79 can offer advice on your mallory, sucks to spend that money for a downgrade in performance, did you replace the coil as well?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 12:48pm
klep,
   there is a new hitek group buy thread up and running right now, boatdr is the distributor. Cheap they ain't, pretty they are.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 11:22am
Looks like I'm going to have to order a curve kit for the Mallory. Still only getting 28 total advance with my base at 12 before.   Slowed my boat down and I lost 300 rpm on the top. Might rethink this and ask santa for a DUI after all.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 2:06am
has anyone tried the marine distributors that pertronix makes?

200 dollars, and already converted to their elecronic ignition.

I can provide a link if you need, but I saw these on Summits website....
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 4:54pm
since my boat is strictly in saltwater, and my history is with salt water boats, fresh water cooling is the term used locally. but, yes, i am putting antifreeze, heat exchanger, etc in my baby. saltwater will still be in the manifolds though. i have been looking at those hi tek stainless manis, but, they probably cost more than my boat. they look fabulous and i bet flow much better than the cast iron osco pigs.
anyone know the cost of the hiteks?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2007 at 2:42pm
I love a cat fight , when it don't include me even better.
I think this is a mute point to say the least, when you light off the fuel charge and it slowly moves across the piston, it don't care about 3 or 4 extra sparkies.
British Thermal Units, determines horsepower, the more heat the more HP.Right up to the time when Mr. Squeeky Calls.Ask John Force,record setting runs are followed by a engine swap,smoked pistons bla bla bla.
Dumping more fuel and sparking it more don't do it.........boat dr
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 5:14am
MM, I prefer the Zephyrhills brand myself, you know, keep it local. That's funny.

79, about the casting of the HEI. It is not a GM casting. I believe the castings for these Ford HEI distributors are coming out of Austrailia. They are really good castings too. I think that ProComp is making them...I bet DUI is buying blank castings from them and building theirs.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 3:21am
This is what I run in my boat!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 11:51pm
closed cooling has anti-freeze in it so how fresh is the water really?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

what the hell are you talking about fresh water cooling, there all fresh water cooled and won't be in the way.

Now if what you are trying to say is closed cooling system then yes it will be in the way.

Raw water cooling is not the same as fresh water cooling.

Fresh water cooling = closed cooling
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 8:15pm
that motor looks slow!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:15pm
what the hell are you talking about fresh water cooling, there all fresh water cooled and won't be in the way.

Now if what you are trying to say is closed cooling system then yes it will be in the way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:10pm
thanks, that looks like the way i will go with mine, the fresh water cooling might get in the way. hopefully it will be running this weekend
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:05pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:03pm
if I had the boar still no problem. Search and you will find a picture of my motor on hear. I'll check and see if I still have a shot down here on monique's computer to post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelpomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:55pm
79, can you click a pic of your mount for me?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:53pm
No I wouldn't suggest you do it, might not work after your done with it anyway, but Me personelly I could, but I do have an advantage since I worked for them and know how to run a lathe or machining center as well.

My point is there are already base housing out there that can easily be machined a little or are an exact fit all ready that would work. Perf Dist isn't doing anything fancy other than marketing, and are using off the self items to build the dist. they sold you.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

And Tim why are you buying cheap ass sh*t from Autozone, get a Delco module and you won't see any difference, also take a look around the base of your dist, the machined OD section that the cap sits on and I bet you find a stamped 7-8 digit part number on. Do you really think they had a special casting made to work on the ford block.

I was trying to troubleshoot a no-spark condition. No worries, the good module is back in and the crappy one is in Mojo's boat

Whether Perf Dist had a new casting made or not isnt the point- its still the only marine HEI unit made for Fords that I know of. If you think Im going to cobble together existing parts to create a safe, reliable, high performance marine ignition, youre crazy!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Ok, so what about Kelpos coil question. Sorta hard to find a place to mount anything but a round coil under the hood. Anyone using the Promaster series or anything other than the standard round style? Where are you mounting it?

you don't remember where I had mine mounted at? used that very same coil, made a bracket out of 404 stainless steel, used two of the intake bolts to mount the bracket it was pretty easy to do.

And Tim why are you buying cheap ass sh*t from Autozone, get a Delco module and you won't see any difference, also take a look around the base of your dist, the machined OD section that the cap sits on and I bet you find a stamped 7-8 digit part number on. Do you really think they had a special casting made to work on the ford block.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic