NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Dr. VS 1964 American Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Dr. VS 1964 American Skier
    Posted: June-16-2007 at 10:54am
Doc,

Sorry I'm late to the party... That boat looks fantastic! Sorry to hear about the paint problems hope it isn't too much more work to fix. sure looks great anyway. Engine looks bad ass!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 10:16pm
doc sounds like your having just as good of luck with your boat as I am having with the BFN. I will give you a call tomorrow.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 7:28am
Sorry doc, i didnt read about the paint problems, are you getting solvent pop?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 4:46am
Doc, Sorry to here about your paint problems. I think I remember you using Easypoxy. Correct? I sprayed the stuff for years and love it. One thing I have learned the hard way is that it must be sprayed in multiple coats with a min. dry time of 24 hours between. It doesn't have as much hiding qualities as other paint types. Interlux Brightside one part poly is the same. You may now have solvent entrapment in the paint. Any ideas from Petit yet? You may need to wet sand the top layer off, let it cure some more and shoot it again. How many coats did you spray?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:17pm
Larry: Gotta agree with ya again.....one of the great things about this site is seeing what the other guy is doing to his ride.

And the BlondieGurl pics too. Thanks to MM for sharing.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:02pm
Boat doc, i was looking for something to break the greenhorn in on (fresh out of tech school) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 8:54pm
77,thanx for the atta boy, found out today I have major paint problems. Seems the white has reached a stage somewhere between medium hard and has not cured any harder. tried to buff and it was a f////ing mess......waiting on a call from Petit Paint to tell me what step B is..............boat dr
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 10:05am
hey Doc,

id say the final outcome of the Doc vs. 64 was a draw - you both came out as big winners.

boat is simply beautiful -

congrats on a terrific job
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 9:39am

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I dont plan on doing any exhaust work this year.

You're kidding Tim, you actually said that before launching into your dual exhaust masterpiece. I didn't post a comment on your "pipes" thread, but it is very impressive work.

You guys are really knocking yourselves out this year with projects like that and boat docs restoration, jbears mods and Marks limey paint job which are also hugely impressive. I can't help but think this site helps to motivate those kinds of projects. Not in a one upmanship sense, but in a getting help and ideas from others and building off of those. I think there are probably a fair number of projects getting tackled that might not be, were it not for the info shared here. Another kudos to Keith and his site and all the folks that all contribute in their own way.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 3:58pm
I should have put a caveat on that, I still have a new jetski motor to install and a lift kit, tires, and softtop for the bronco, so really I meant improvements for the correct crafts this year...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I swear after green lake I am not spending one more minute/dollar on "improvements" this year.

If youre anything like me, those are famous last words.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I dont plan on doing any exhaust work this year.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 3:10pm
Yeah just got one of them there ARCO's myself, your bugs are way ahead of mine I just finally got my engine in line at the dyno, still have to get it back and then remember all the little things that I have to buy to convert the boat back to a 351/408 from a 302. I swear after green lake I am not spending one more minute/dollar on "improvements" this year.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 2:36pm
Joe, that was a crazy idea ,but it works,sent my xtra V/Drive to Eric today. Ater the water soak Saturday,made good sense to replace the 30 year old tranny with a new updated 04 style. Eric says it is stronger than my old 01 style, will replace dampner also.
30 year old starter gets a rest too,Arco still builds a new one,94.00 dollars is cheap ins.
It's still cheaper than a divorce...
Will try the 450 VS 600 and try to find a happy middle ground.The stumble is off idle when going WFO to get that parasail up,the nozzle is for the 450, not the 600. It is strong at full throttle from dead idle, just not as strong thru midrange, but a little higher top end and RPM's.
Just more bugs to iron out before G/Lake.............boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 2:21pm
MY BFN has a 650 on it and it is running a big block. The 750 came on the HO 454 producing 425HP.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:44pm
I dont know, Joe- 408 is a lot of cubes. A 750 may be a little more than you need, but I wouldnt say its overkill. According to the CFM calculator's Ive used, a 351w designed to spin up to 4400 could have gotten by with a 450cfm carb (even at 100% VE). PCM put the larger one on for a reason.

Can anyone verify what size Holley PCM put on the big blocks? I believe they were 4160's as well. Ive heard both 650 and 750, but not sure what is correct.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 11:46am
Glad to hear your temp situation is under control, not to happy to hear that your stumbling with the 600 cfm unit particularily when I have them dyno tuning my 408 with a 750 on it. I keep going back and forth between the 600 and the 750... will probably keep the 750 on till green lake and change it when I get back. I think in the end I will end up with a 600 with the choke horn milled off. You might want to try the 450 with the choke horn milled off eventually to get back your last couple hundred top end rpm.

Seems like I spend 400 bucks everytime I go out, this weekend blew all 4 speakers with the new stereo, 400 bucks, yesterday put in 4 new speakers ran battery dead in about 10 minutes, jumped battery and destroyed alternator trying to bring the battery back up, another 400 today for a new optima and alternator. 400 tomorrow for dyno testing on the new motor...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 10:08am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Second day out,new Holley 600,34 max.spark adv. 5100 max rpms.Not keen with the 400.00 spent on the Holley.
Seem to have lost some bottom end to gain a few R's on top.Ordered parts that Holley said would bridge the gap,between the 450 and the 600 cfm.
Seems the stroker falls right between the two as one is a little small one a little large.
It's only money,what the hell..........Holley says the stumble at WOT from dead idle is the #21 nozzle too small,ordered a set of #28.From there a plug chop and start playing with the jets,,,,,,
Have a brand new 4160 Holley for sale....any takers...........boat dr

Does that mean youre going back to the 450cfm, doc? I would have thought that the 600cfm would have been perfect for a 331 stroker.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 9:50am
Just another ditto on the fine job Doc! Damn nice!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 6:06pm
Second day out,new Holley 600,34 max.spark adv. 5100 max rpms.Not keen with the 400.00 spent on the Holley.
Seem to have lost some bottom end to gain a few R's on top.Ordered parts that Holley said would bridge the gap,between the 450 and the 600 cfm.
Seems the stroker falls right between the two as one is a little small one a little large.
It's only money,what the hell..........Holley says the stumble at WOT from dead idle is the #21 nozzle too small,ordered a set of #28.From there a plug chop and start playing with the jets,,,,,,
Have a brand new 4160 Holley for sale....any takers...........boat dr
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 10:50pm
87,boat ran fine....Temp held at 140, guess the little trick worked. Joe said it well" that sounds just crazy enough to work"
Started off with 30 degrees of advance and mid range fuel.drove around a little while , warmed her on up to temp and mashed on it.Not quite as strong out the hole,bot pulled 5100 swinging thet 13x14 Austrel.
Will start adding some more timing each time i go out.Will buy a new set of plugs to do the soot ring......
overall very satisfied,the Hi Teks are louder,more than one person on the lake commented that she louder and sounded stronger.........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 6:37pm
Doc trailer queens don't burn fuel...

12 gallons, shouldn't take long to go through. Hope all goes well and you two have a good time.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 6:25pm
Boat dr & Boat nurse going to the lake....ice chest packed been a long coming.We will see if all the work and money are worth it today.
the boat is hooked up full of fuel,lets see how long it takes to burn 12 gals....................boat dr
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 5:57pm
Eric, We all need to be educated more on our transmissions!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 5:09pm
ERIC...Dont worry, reid is bringing 3 boats, I will steal keys for one of them for you!!
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 1:18pm
Damn!!!! That's nice boatdr!!!

Looks like brand new......Can't wait to see it at Green lake!! Let's get all of us early 60's guys together and take a photo like mojo said.

NICE WORK!!

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 10:42pm
Eric , Come boatless . I am sure you will get a ride to the sand bar . Im sure you could even find somewhere to sleep .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 9:08pm
MM, im tossing it around about coming up, I would be boatless but i sure would like to meet alot of you guys, I think it would be a 7 or 8 hour trip from here which isnt bad at all, I made a pact this year that im going to take more time off and start relaxing a little and a road trip would be a good idea
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 6:21pm
Boat looks great doc. Got the brackets today. I'll finish the honey-do's up, wrap up my novel, and then they are going on my Mustang 17. Thanks for hooking me up!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 4:20pm
Outstanding resto-mod, Doc.

Nicely done but not overdone in my opinion.
I like the moderm motor bits with an original-ish looking exterior.

I'm still interested in the 450 CFM carb. Did you get my email a few weeks back?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 3:39pm
Doc was good chatting with you this morning, hope the water test goes as planned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic