NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weak starter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Well, she must be properly tuned then lol ....   But still, I'm curious and concerned.   It feels as though if it didn't start after that 1 or 1 1/2 revolutions that the battery wouldn't have the power to continue, which is the troubling part - plenty of juice.

Well, if you want to find out if it'll keep cranking, why don't you pull your coil wire and turn the key?

You'll see if the engine will crank for let's say 10 or 15 seconds with no problem or if in say 5 seconds the starter won't crank it over any more.

Kinda a quick and dirty test to answer your curiosity and concern

After that you can decide what you may or may not need to do.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Before buying a starter, check the voltage drops across the cables, also could be bad contacts in the solenoid. You could have corroded connections or cables.

Yeah, buying a starter was going to be a last ditch, especially since the engine has never failed to start in just one revolution. I have checked the contacts & cables and they are tight with no corrosion.

I agree with Chris. He said "voltage drop"!!!
So does Paul!!
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

The info chris gave you is a good start.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:46pm
The info chris gave you is a good start.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Before buying a starter, check the voltage drops across the cables, also could be bad contacts in the solenoid. You could have corroded connections or cables.

Yeah, buying a starter was going to be a last ditch, especially since the engine has never failed to start in just one revolution. I have checked the contacts & cables and they are tight with no corrosion.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

If properly tuned a GT-40 with the proper fuel pressure starts on the first turn of the starter 9 out of 10 times. Shouldn't have to crank more than a revolution or 2 at most.

Well, she must be properly tuned then lol ....   But still, I'm curious and concerned.   It feels as though if it didn't start after that 1 or 1 1/2 revolutions that the battery wouldn't have the power to continue, which is the troubling part - plenty of juice.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:03pm
If properly tuned a GT-40 with the proper fuel pressure starts on the first turn of the starter 9 out of 10 times. Shouldn't have to crank more than a revolution or 2 at most.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 8:22pm
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 7:47pm
Since the day I bought the boat, the starter seems abnormally slow, almost like the battery is very low. Both batteries always register 12.7 to 12.9 volts before starting and the engine starts just fine, every time. But it makes me a bit nervous because even with the dual battery setup I installed, I'm afraid the starter may give out while I'm in a remote area somewhere.   Is it normal for the GT40's to crank so slowly or maybe the starter is old and weak? Or is it perhaps something else ....

Thanks for your input
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic