Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Platform Brackets

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautiquesonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Platform Brackets
    Posted: November-15-2004 at 6:23pm
Hello Correct Craft fans I am in the process of installing a teak swim platform on my beautifully restored 1980 Nautique. This boat has never had a platform and I have purchased all I need to get it done. Removable brackets and a teak deck for less than $200. I believe I should mount the brackets with 3/8X 5 inch SS lag bolts with 5200 adhesive. Just curious if anyone has gone this route or do you have a better idea? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank You,

Nautiquesonly   
Living Life 1 bouy at a time behind my Nautique in Florida.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 6:49pm
I used 3 brackets. I thru-bolted each bracket to the transom with three 1/4X20 stainless machine screws with SS nylon locknuts inside. I also used a 1/4" stainless backing plate inside the transom for each bracket. I would recommend drilling your holes oversized and then caulking - this will make leveling/adjusting easier prior to tightening everything up.

I thought about using only two brackets and using long lag screws into the stringers, but was advised against it - and now that I know more about what is back there, I would not recommend it either.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 7:05pm
Ok, my question is where did you buy the platform and brackets??

I have a 17' American Skier with a bad swim platform and I'm going to replace it this winter/spring. I also want to go with removeable brackets so the boat will fit in the garage. I plan on thru-bolting with SS backing plates like Jameski mentions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 7:32pm
I would love to thru-bolt with 1/4 inch stainless backer plates and 1/4 X 20 that was my original thought. However where the brackets mount you can't do this or can you? The well area at the transom is not open for this. Where the brackets mount there is no opening to thru-bolt the brackets mount to low. Am I missing something when I look at this set up? I will look at the set up again. I begin this this weekend. I bought everything from a private owner just did a lot of homework to find the right stuff. Thank You.

Nautiquesonly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 11:19pm
I see what needs to be done to do the thru-hole idea. Thanks for your help I am going with this set up.

Thank You,

Nautiquesonly

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 11:52pm
The lower corners in my '78 have no access from inside, so I used very stiff, but very short mounts for the two sides and I placed them directly above the exhaust. I used a much deeper center bracket in hopes that it will take most of the stress. The height came out perfect - about 1" out of the water with a full tank of fuel.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2004 at 12:09am
Bill336, I bought mine from www.fpmarine.com he gave me an outstanding price about a year ago when he first started selling them. He sells them on eBay and by telephone. I've noticed he is still selling them on eBay and has gone WAY up on his price, but they are VERY nice platforms. He gave me a better price over the phone than he was advertising for.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2004 at 1:19am
Thanks for the info James. I have seen those on Ebay and thought they seemed a bit pricy. Actually they may be fairly priced, but I'm trying to do as much as I can myself on this project. I did see a forum recently where a guy was offering to build platforms for around $200 shipped, but I can't find it anymore. I think he said he specialized in Moomba or Malibu, but would make them for anyone. I still need to search a bit and I'm not ruling out building one myself. There's a lumber place nearby where I've bought marine plywood in the past, so I'll check there for teak. I found removable brackets at alloymarine.com.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2004 at 9:32pm
Hey jameski how did you access the lower bolts with the bulk-head in the way? Did you cut out a potion of it to tighten up the bolts? Or do I understand you that you mounted them directly above the exhaust ports and not on the outer edge of the transom? Thanks again

Nautiquesonly
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2004 at 12:54am
That's right, I didn't want to cut out the bulkhead, so I just found a way to avoid using those areas. Mine works great - VERY solid. How does yours mount? If it would be a real problem to relocate your brackets to avoid the enclosed areas, maybe you could thru-bolt the top bolts (above the bulkhead) and use short (1") wood screws for the bottom bolts - where you don't have access to thru-bolt. The top bolts are the only ones that are in tension against the transom, the bottom ones are in compression, so it's not as important to thru-bolt them.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2004 at 1:44pm
That will work. My brackets are from alloymarine the removable type. I am going to mount them on the outside this will work out real well, I just have to make a few modifications no problem. I appreciate your help.

Nautiquesonly
chris View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2004 at 7:59pm
Hey Naautiquesonly, I have called these guys at alloys marine and no one ever answers the phone. How much did you pay for them and what type did you get? they have 2 types. Any help would be great.

Thanks chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2004 at 9:39pm
The best way to reach them is by email try that. I have the removable type not the newer style that they show on the website. I bought the set from a private owner it took some time but I located them. I paid $60 for the set brand new. I know they are MUCH more than that from alloymarine.

Nautiquesonly
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2004 at 12:59am
I have spoken with the owner of Alloy Marine, A very interesting older gentelman. We discussed my Wildcat brackets only days ago. Seems they don't have any info on my boat. He told me that the two important specs. are: the down angle of the transom, and the curve, or radius of the transom. As soon as I calculate these I will order mine, as mine is mounted stationary, with three supports almost exactly like jameski mentioned, with the exception of the stainless backer plates. The installer on mine used 3/8" plywood and large washers. It's just starting to loosen up after 16 years. I'm going to use the alloy mounts (3) with a full 12ga. stainless backer the full width of the transom.                 

Alloy Marine
64Skier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2004 at 7:41am
How much are the aluminum brackets?

For something so small,the difference in weight between aluminum and steel would be negligible...especially when you add the teak. For my $'s I built a simple steel bracket.

Just for a "Fan", I have a spare Teak Platform that fits the older CC's.
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2004 at 10:26pm
How old id the platform?/ I have a 69 barracuda i am restoring and was going to make my own.. let me know. I think my width iis 54 for the platform

Thanks
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2004 at 7:55am
Chis,
Post your e-mail address and I'll let you know the particulars about the ski platform.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2004 at 10:16am
Its kiitchenarchitecture@msn.com

Thanks 64skier.... Also some piictures would be great....
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2004 at 12:28am
sorry its kitchenarchitecture@msn.com

i have a stuck key on my laptop..

Sorry, Chris
oldcentury76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcentury76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2004 at 2:01am
I just got my platform installed by WCCC and they used 3 brackets and put 2 thru bolts on the top of the brackets and two screws on the bottom. I have pics if you want.
Nautiquesonly View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2004 at 9:34pm
I finished up the project last weekend and here is what I did. I punched out the bulkhead that was in the way with a chisel and hammer. Real easy just gel, glass, and foam. I drilled the holes for the platform used ss backer plates on top and bottom bolts. I used 2 1/2 inch 5/16 Stainless bolts. When I mounted the brackets I used 5200 and then when I repaired the bulkhead I poured about 1 inch of resin in there covering the bolts. I then replaced the foam, and glassed over everything with matt and resin. When I was done it turned out perfect very solid and no leaks and good for another 25 years. Put it in the lake skied all weekend both Sat. & Sun. morning.

Nautiquesonly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquesonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2004 at 9:37pm
I wasn't logged in but that is what I did I hope this helps others.

Nautiquesonly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic