Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How my dad winterized, is this right?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How my dad winterized, is this right?
    Posted: October-14-2004 at 3:02pm
How do I winterize the transmission? I saw two cooling lines, that run into a small pipe thing inline with the cooling system. But those lines contain transmission fluid. Is it correct to say that the transmission is cooled through the fluid, and does not any internal jackets like the engine.

One more question, I looked up instructions on the internet on how to winterize the boat. Well anyways my dad looked at them and decided to modify them a little bit. We drained the two bolts on the block and then used an airhose at the front on the engine to blow them out. We completely took off the raw water pump and put it in our basement. We couldnt get the drains out of the exhaust manifolds, so he poured a mix of 50/50 antifreeze/water directly into each manifold until it was full.

Next we took off the drain plug out of the waterpump and poured antifreeze in there, and we confirmed the antifreeze was coming out of the sides of the block, so we put the block plugs in and filled up the engine block with a 2 gallons are more of the antifreeze mix. Then we blew through most of the hoses and filled most with the antifreeze mix.

Before we did all this, we fogged the engine, by spraying through the carb, then I manually went through each spark plug and turn over the engine a couple times. I took out the battery and put in the basement.

What do you think, my dad kinda is one of those guys that has his own way of doing things and this is our first inboard. 82 ski nautique.

I just dont want a crack blocked out of the deal. We live in Kansas, so fairly mild winters. We will get a below freezing, but usually dont dip into the negatives or teens too much.

thanks
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2004 at 3:27pm
The trans cooler is a liquid to liquid cooler. Change the fluid or oil in the tranny and it should be good.

If you have problems with the drains on the manifold, disconnect the hoses on the other end from the connector and rotate the connectors down to drain the manifolds.

Take the t stat cap off and verify the block is full of fluid and it sounds as though all is good. Don't forget to change the oil now rather than in the spring.
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2004 at 7:33pm
Some would just dump rv antifreeze in the water intake and run the engine until the rv antifreeze is coming out the exhaust. This will take about 4 or 5 gallons but in a mild climate is probably fine.
1979 Ski Nautique
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 2:25am
My method for winterizing the cooling system is to pull all of the plugs and drain the block, manifolds, water pump, etc. I then reinstall all of the plugs and put the inlet hose into a 5gal. bucket of antifreeze and run the engine until the bucket is empty.

This way there shouldn't be much water left in the block to dilute the antifreeze. What little water is left won't effect the freezing point much.

I then remove the raw water pump and impeller and cover all the openings.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 2:06pm
I've winterized my own engines for the past 12 years but don't have a CC (yet...)

Just an FYI, the way a marine engine cooling system works is that water in the engine is circulated within the block until the engine comes up to operating temp (140-160, depending on the thermostat). Until the thermostat opens at operating temp, the water pulled in from the seawater pump just runs through coolers (power steering and/or transmission) and up through the exhaust to cool the exhaust manifolds and tailpipes or hoses. I mention this because if you just drain the engine, exhaust, and seawater pump hoses, and then run antifreeze in through the water intake until it comes out of the exhaust, it won't get into the engine itself unless you do it long enough for the engine to warm up. You're basically just winterizing your exhaust manifolds.

For those that did this, open your block drains again and see if antifreeze comes out. If it doesn't, remove the thermostat housing and pour antifreeze to fill the block and you should be fine. If you don't, there shouldn't be any water in there to freeze, but adding antifreeze is good for corrosion protection and will make you worry less over the winter.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2004 at 12:37pm
Well, I decided to winterize my '68 Mustang today. To do that I am taking it to the river where I will drive to a couple of hamburger/beer joints (with docks) and watch a few other boaters drive by. This could take me all day. (It's supposed to get up to 78 deg. today with a warm south wind.) After today I'll consider my boat winterized and that should do it for the winter. Come on Spring!
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2004 at 12:54pm
Awhite70 I hope that you premixed the antifreeze or bought 50/50 premixed. Straight antifreeze will freeze just like water.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2004 at 3:37pm
jim have you left yet? i wanna winterize too! its hot outside and im inside trying to find people to ride. that sucks. people are terrified of 64 degree water.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2004 at 1:50am
I used RV antifreeze, you're supposed to use it straight.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2004 at 12:47am
I'm still laughing at the idea that Kansas has a MILD winter. I was in KC last FEB and it was COLDDDD. I guess I'm a wimp.
It gets below freezing here (South Central Texas) ocassionally but usualy only at night and for only one or two nights in a row.
This is my first winter with an inboard. I changed the oil and trans fluid in Oct.. I haven't done anything to the cooling system other than change the t-stat. The boat's in the driveway with a cover of it.
What temp am I good to? I've never heard of anyone cracking a block around here (boat or auto) but I don't won't to be an example. I have antifreeze in the truck year round but it's more for over-heating.
Should I dump some anti-freeze in the block? Open those wing-nuts and drain the exhaust? Do any of this oil in the cylinders monkey business? I don't plan to use the boat again until Feb or so -- not too cold, just too busy.
79 is right about regular antifreeze, straight it freezes around the same temp as water. 50-50 gives you the best protection (for regular anti-freeze).
Sorry Jason--I didn't mean to take over your thread.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2004 at 4:19pm
I first take the thermostat out and put the housing back on( I used to run until the thermostat opens but it takes too long and it doesn't stay open long anyway). Then I put two gallons of antifreeze in a five gallon bucket and place it next to the raw water pump. I put two large five gallon buckets (those plastic ones you can get with the rope handles) and place them behind each exhaust. I take the inlet hose off the raw water pump and slide four foot spare piece on the pump. Then with an assistant at the exhaust, I crank the boat with the four foot hose in the two gallons of antifreeze and my assistant makes sure the what comes out the exhaust goes in the buckets. When the two gallons are gone, switch off the boat and transfer what came out to the five gallon bucket and repeat until I have warm antifreeze coming out. I don't dillute the antifreeze because it mixes with water that's already in the block. And for the transmission cooler, I pour a small amount of antifreeze down the hose where I disconnected it from the raw pump and then cup my hand over the end of the hose and blow into it until you hear it come out the intake screen on the bottom of the boat. I fill the gas tank, add some stabilizer and put some duct tape on the air vent for the gas tank(had wasps one time). I don't fog the engine, I crank it about every two months (if it fires up only let it one a few seconds) with the raw pump disconnected and it keeps the carb from completly drying out and the engine from sticking. I've done this for 16 years with no problems.
Tim D
Rocco View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2004 at 1:48pm
Well,Well,,
I called Mark at PCM in N.C.
Once the Antifreeze comes out of the exhaust the Motor is full...I did a lot extra for winter,,,I guess its a Mind thing,,I drain the block, then, I just unhook the water intake hose,have about 3 or 4 gals ready,start the motor and pour in till it comes out the Exhaust..Its full of Antifreeze then..So your done....maybe alittle wd40 or oil in the sparkplugs holes,,,I use to wait till the Thermostat opens,but this guy said.there was a bypass hose at it ,so the water or antifreeze goes around to fill up the block..Just my 2 cents..........
todd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2004 at 12:29pm
I read rocco's post and it said to spray wd40 into the sparkplug holes. I would NEVER do this. I sprayed a nice shotgun down when I was smaller, after I was done using it. about a month later I looked at it and it had rust pits all over it. Spend the money and use fogging oil, or I think marvelous mystery oil will work. My two cents.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic