Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb / Tach Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BASC View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb / Tach Problems
    Posted: October-13-2004 at 2:04pm
I don't know if these 2 problems are related but here goes.
1. The Tachometer (Rev Counter) on the dashboard stopped working for no apparent reason, what/where should I be checking, and where/how is does the gauge get its reading from the engine?

2. The following week after the above problem appeared, the engine developed the following symptoms. When pulling out a skier it seems very sluggish, it then picks upand runs okay but when you require extra power to get into 30/32 there is non to be had. Then the engine will deliver the extra power but in an on/off state so it appears that the driver is playing with the throttle.
Any ideas?

The boat is a 92SN with 285hp electronic ignition, and a holley carb (2 seasons old) fitted by the dealer.

Please give any suggestions is basic laymans terms, I am learning but have a long way to go before I am classed as a mecahnic.
Thanks
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2004 at 6:28pm
There should be a grey wire coming off the ignition coil going to the tachometer on dash supplie the RPM signal. Check the wire for continuity and shorts and the grounds for bad connections.

Sluggish on acceleration can be caused an excessive lean mixture of fuel and/or a problem in the ignition system.

I would first troubleshoot the electrical tach problem and see if that corrects the sluggish behavior before I started running down a fuel problem. Those queer electrons can create havoc. Many technics for troubleshooting, that my .02
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2004 at 7:44pm
I tend to agree- most likely an ignition problem, especially since the wire to the tach comes form the coil as mentioned and would cause the tach to stop working. Check the wires coming into the coil to ensure they are intact and making a CLEAN connection. Then check to see if the plug wires are in tact ie arching and in need of replacement, easy way to do this is to run the enign in the dark or feel the wires.
1979 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 1:48pm
If the boat was running fine and had no performance problems before the tach quit working, then the Tach is shorting the ign or the module is bad and not feeding the signal to the tach. By-pass the Tach and run the boat if it still runs bad then most likely the module is bad and the Tach is good.
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2004 at 8:59am
I think '79 is on the right track. On our older boats, these would be separate issues since the tach gets its signal from the distributor. On the later boats, I think everything comes out of the ignition module. Not much that can be done to repair the modules, except replacement. Just need to make sure that the mod is the problem before spending the bucks on a new one.

Hey IrishFooter, you forgot to tell him to put a mattress on the floor behind himself when he does the wet test on the plug wires. How many volts are running through those electronic ignitions????
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2004 at 12:39pm
Only about 50,000! Yeah you may not want to grab right ahold of them.
1979 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic