NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boston Boat Show 08

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boston Boat Show 08
    Posted: January-15-2008 at 8:32pm
You gotta be kidding with that picture Scott...made me cold lookin' at it.

I have been reading about the Boston area too Larry...so you guys must be getting some.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 6:46pm
It's a nice balmy 29 here today. I didn't even wear a coat, just a sweat shirt.
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Only 57 here this evening. Had to put on long pants to walk Jo the Tennessee wonder dog.

john

It's crazy cold here too - only made it to 50 today. I'm way too far north
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 11:20am
Whoa!!!! Long pants???!!! Tell me no John, it cant be true, not to a nice guy like you. Well, be tough my friend and I am sure you will make it through this.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 10:22am
competiton makes these boats better than ever it also effects the price tag, its nice when 2 companies try to out-do eachother...it creates better products
"the things you own will start to own you"
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 10:11am

Hear that you guys got hit with some snow today. Only 57 here this evening. Had to put on long pants to walk Jo the Tennessee wonder dog.
john

5" to 15" depending on where you were.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 10:34pm
Larry: I gotta agree completly with you post as to Tim. I actually feel smarter just knowing him. How can a guy know all them facts and still have time to earn a living? He must be on the net anytime he is not working or sleeping. But then again...we've seen his boat...he's gotta work on it sometime.

Of course...price question and whos got the answer?

Hear that you guys got hit with some snow today. Only 57 here this evening. Had to put on long pants to walk Jo the Tennessee wonder dog.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 9:37pm
Erik,

Last year was totally different at the MC booth. They had a group of younger folks who didn't know any technical stuff. One MC rep actually told me that he owns a '86 Ski Nautique. One guy from last year did knock Correct Crafts, no biggy, we know the truth!

This year they were pretty tame. No pressure, just one boater talking to another. I was amazed how jazzy the 40th Anniversary MC was. A little too busy for my taste, but will fit somebody elses. Overall, it was a fun day getting together with some friends.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 8:03pm
Oh boy Pete they have really thrown a curve ball at you know. We now have a new Erik on the site that uses a k instead of a c.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 7:52pm
   Erik,

I don't know if you were there last year,but they were much more subdued this year.I thought my brother in law was going to knock them out last year and he owns a Mastercraft.I found the comment they made to Ken interesting about the mounting of the cleats....apparently only an advantage if you like to take off with your boat still tied to the dock.Mastercraft makes a good boat,but I would be willing to take anyone out for a ride behind my 05 SANTE that thinks CC did not make a good wakeboat before the 236.I saw you at the show,but did not get a chance to introduce myself.Maybe next year.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
The2001.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The2001.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 6:55pm
There is absolutely no need to take that approach with selling these boats. None.

I mean, being able to state a competitive advantage is one thing - but making a stupid statement is quite another. "Finally Correct Craft comes out with a good wakeboard boat and it happens by accident with that 236." That's just an inaccurate comment, and like I said a petty one. It would be petty coming from, or aimed at, any of the players in the top three. But with the 205 being such a good boat, and also a complete accident - it just struck me as like - what rock has this guy been under for the last 10 years.

Other "accidents":
-Sport Nautique
-Super Sport Nautique
-Supra Sunsport
-Malibu Sunsetter
-MasterCraft Prostar 205DD
-MasterCraft Prostar 205V
-Just about any Maristar
-Just about every other hull designed before 2003

All of these are very nice 'accidents' and boats I recommend to people all the time.

But stating that the 236's success is an accident is a hilariously uninformed stance to take.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 6:55pm
Sounds like you guys had a great time at the boat show. While you guys were looking at new ones, I was home winterizing the 2000 air. I figured it was time. The weather man says it finally supposed to start getting cold and staying cold. I have not had to turn the heat on in the garage to keep her from freezing yet, so I winterized and now wont need the heater. I do have to put the interior back together this week though. Is any one getting a new ride this year?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 6:47pm
Don't feel bad, that's the way some of them do business. Next time tell him you own a Malibu and see what he says.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The2001.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 6:15pm
Nautique2001/Ken,

I did not have a good experience at the MasterCraft booth. In fact the guy running it made a really foolish comment to me - (perhaps because I was wearing a Correct Craft shirt or because he was just trying to be agressive and sales-y) but it was something to the effect of "Finally Correct Craft comes out with a good wakeboard boat and it happens by accident with that 236." I had to bite my tongue over that, as he stood next to an X-Star which requires more ballast weight to put out a world class wake than 90% of the high-end wake boats available now. And their best wake boat remains the X-1/Prostar 205v whose success as a wakeboat is 100% an accident. I told him we'd have to agree to disagree on that comment, and we soon left. It was a tacky comment from a company that makes a great boat, about a company that makes a great boat. It was petty and offputting. To be frank it actually pissed me off. Not for brand loyalty reasons really but for professionalism and other reasons like that.

I say without apologies, despite the name of this Web site, that MasterCraft and Malibu both make a great boat - particularly Malibu has come a long way in the past 5 years. That said I am a Correct Craft "guy" for sure. I just don't see a need for catfighting between representatives like that. Craig has never done that - and doesn't need to. Nor does Master Craft. Seriously. The whole thing was just nothing short of tacky. I talked to Craig afterward and even then he made no tacky comments in response.
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 5:22pm
I had a good time Saturday. It was great to see everyone again.

I also enjoyed meeting Gary Meloon. Like Brad mentioned, he had some great stoies.

Thanks to Mike for organizing and Craig for the tickets.

Kyle
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Anyone ask the price on that Prostar Brad sat in?

$60k.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 4:36pm
Anyone ask the price on that Prostar Brad sat in?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 4:31pm
I agree Ken, Last year we talked to some kid at MC who really didnt know much, not even about the boats he was trying to sell. I wasnt impressed at all. The guy that we spent most of the time talking to this year seemed very knowledgable and pleasant.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 4:25pm
I personally felt that the MasterCraft guys were decent. We chatted with them for a short time. I asked one guy what makes MasterCraft better than Correct Craft. He mentioned two things...foam and the way the cleats are mounted. When I asked him about the wake...there was only silence. There was no pressure and they didn't knock Correct Craft boats. Maybe because they figured they were out numbered by Correct Crafters!

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The2001.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 4:10pm
Great booth from Correct Craft as usual. It was also awesome to talk with Mr. Craig Warner and Mr Meloon.

I remain a Correct Craft 236 junkie.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Got alot of knowledge in that young head

Its amazing John, I don't know how he does it. Every single specification on every single CC (or any other inboard for that matter) made, every single specification on every engine ever built, every specification on any after market engine upgrade available, every boat on the site (all 1,124, or whatever its up to) and every single boat related listing ever on ebay or craigslist (half of which he's bought or sold.) He's kind of like Rainman, but only with boat and engine stuff vs numbers. At least you and I have an excuse for our feeble minds, I'm lucky to remember what I had for breakfast today.

What that really equates to LOTS of time browsing the internet. Checking listings on dozens of sites (and/or auto emails for all the searches) and thousands of hours on boat forums and 4Runner forums. Whenever I feel guilty for browsing the web too much, I just think of Tim's browse time and immediately feel better.

Another theory, which is completely plausible, is that Tim is actually a team of internet browsers who all browse the entire web all day, taking shifts, covering for each other, etc.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 2:55pm

Got alot of knowledge in that young head

Its amazing John, I don't know how he does it. Every single specification on every single CC (or any other inboard for that matter) made, every single specification on every engine ever built, every specification on any after market engine upgrade available, every boat on the site (all 1,124, or whatever its up to) and every single boat related listing ever on ebay or craigslist (half of which he's bought or sold.) He's kind of like Rainman, but only with boat and engine stuff vs numbers. At least you and I have an excuse for our feeble minds, I'm lucky to remember what I had for breakfast today.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 1:24pm

Brad trying to work a trade for the ol' 86er.

The very pricey and moderately ugly Vette boat.All this for a staggering $99,900.

Brad and Kyle with Mr.Meloon

And who could forget these rocket scientists who entertained us during our Seaport lunch.
We thought for sure somone was going in,but it didn't happen while we were there.

I have a few more pics,but something was awry with my camera.I will try to get them fixed and posted.Thanks to all who attended,it was great to see everyone and meet some new faces.Too bad we're in the middle of a Jan. Noreaster(12-14" expected today) I was staring to get excited about spring.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 1:23pm
Looks like you guys had a blast at the show... Kewl that you all got together for some boats and some pops !!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 1:12pm
Good boat show. I wished I could have gone Saturday and met you guys. As it turned out, my brother got into some bad sushi and didn't make it.

We spent about 4 hours there. Met Gary Malloon. Checked out the CCs and Malibus. Quickly perused everything else. Didn't see any signs of any Cheetos.

Anyone go on that 38' Hinckley? They want $1.1M for it. The coffee table in that thing probably costs more than a new SN.

I talked to a couple engine/tranny guys. None of them ever heard of a Dearbomatic.

I know the guy that had the booth that was right across from the Corvette boat in the Malibu display. He wasn't too impressed with its loud stereo that they kept blasting. It doesn't look any better in person than it does in the photos.

The nicest ski boat there was the SN. I didn't see anything else I would want to buy. That Prostar was hideous with the metal flake and metal glued to its hull. The Malibu Response Lxi is too over the top for me. I was told that '08 is the last year of the regular Response. That will leave Malibu w/o a closed bow ski boat.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 11:21am
Hey fellas- Good to see you all at the boat show. Deb and Gregg- great to meet you two.
Was nice to get to talk with Gary Meloon- He had some great stories and trivia about Correct Crafts too. Look for him in Chicago.

A couple guys are missing from the group photo, Nick and Eric?

Mike, thanks for organizing. NECC, thanks for the discounted tix

See you all in a couple months after ice out.
-Brad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:50am
Theres 3 g's in Gregg, but you have a good memory Joel. It was good to hear Gary talk about the upcoming reunions and events- no need to waste his time talking about my silly projects!

John, Im sure that compliment will get passed along to my mother- dad's a regular lurker on here. Its always good to get together in the winter- now that the boat show is over, the countdown to spring begins.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:31am
BTW, Tim, did you mention to Mr. Meloon that you had a few suggestions as to how they could have improved their 90-96 boats?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:29am
Tim's dad is Greg, I believe. Super guy and a CC nut- Tim's a chip off the old block.

I'll never forget those two murmuring to each other behind my boat during their test drive. I thought they were discussing a price haggling strategy or something, but they were trying to determine the month the boat was created based on the HIN!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:06am
Thanks Mike! How cool it is for everyone to be able to put a face with a name. Unless you got an old lookin' mug and head like mine.

Man does Tim look young. Got alot of knowledge in that young head...Mom looks as tho she could be the girlfriend.

Bet you guys had a great time. How cool is it to be able to get together with a bunch of guys and gals you met "on the internet"?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic