NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polishing Brass Rudder & Strut

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polishing Brass Rudder & Strut
    Posted: October-12-2004 at 11:03am
What can I use to polish my brass strut, rudder,& fins on my 1978 CC. I had to take my rudder off to replace the shaft so this would be a good opportunity to polish it.

I also am going to replace the bushing in my strut and two 2" bearings came in from Discount Inboard Marine vs the one original 6" bearing that is currently installed. Is this acceptable?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 1:06pm
As for the polishing, if you've got a heavy duty 90 deg. polisher, put some rubbing compound on the pad and go at it. It'll make a black mess, but it'll shine it up. Or you can get some Never-Dull or other metal polish and go at it by hand for weeks.   Only thing is, either way, it'll still tarnish back rather quickly. Anyone ever try clear-coating the underwater gear to keep it shiny after polishing?

Someone else on the strut bearing? My last one resembled the original in length.

Reid
ReidP
1973 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 2:48pm
I had the same deal on the strut bushings. It's not a problem just insert the bushings from each end until flush and tighten down the set screws. The hard part is getting the old one out.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 5:21pm
Go to Walmart and get Blue magic in the auto section. It will make it shine.
Tim D
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2004 at 9:15pm
Tim,
How do you apply the Blue Magic? Can you just rub it on? I'd like something easy and quick enough to where you could stand to do it more often. Thanks.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2004 at 5:55pm
Reid, I apply with a paper towel or a rag. It will turn black with some elbow grease. Then buff off with clean towel. Very similar to other metal polishes. It does have a strong amonia odor. I use it on all types of metal and it is very cheap compared to mother's and duragloss.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic